Month In Review March 2004
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Agriculture and Food
- Federal Food Safety and Security
System: Fundamental Restructuring Is Needed to Address Fragmentation
and Overlap. GAO-04-588T,
March 30, 2004 (26 pages).
- Food Safety: FDA's Imported
Seafood Safety Program Shows Some Progress, but Further Improvements
Are Needed. GAO-04-246,
January 30, 2004 (55 pages).
Budget and Spending
- Budget Issues: Reprogramming of Federal Air Marshal Service Funds in Fiscal Year 2003. GAO-04-577R, March 31, 2004 (23 pages).
- Budget Process: Long-term Focus Is Critical. GAO-04-585T, March 23, 2004 (11 pages).
- Fiscal Year 2005 Budget Request:
U.S. General Accounting Office. GAO-04-474T,
March 4, 2004 (24 pages).
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Regulatory Programs: Opportunities to Enhance Oversight of the Real Estate Appraisal Industry. GAO-04-580T, March 24, 2004 (20 pages).
- Small Business Administration:
Model for 7(a) Program Subsidy Had Reasonable Equations, but Inadequate
Documentation Hampered External Reviews. GAO-04-9, March 31, 2004
- Telecommunications: Subscriber Rates and Competition in the Cable Television Industry. GAO-04-262T, March 25, 2004 (21 pages).
- Community Development: Federal Revitalization Programs Are Being Implemented, but Data on the Use of Tax Benefits Are Limited. GAO-04-306, March 5, 2004 (89 pages).
- National Flood Insurance
Program: Actions to Address Repetitive Loss Properties.
GAO-04-401T, March 25, 2004 (18 pages).
- Department of Education's Federal Direct Loan Program: Status of Recommendations to Improve Cost Estimates and Presentation of Updated Cash Flow Information. GAO-04-567R, March 29, 2004 (65 pages).
- Student Loan Programs: Lower Interest Rates and Higher Loan Volume Have Increased Federal Consolidation Loan Costs. GAO-04-568T, March 17, 2004 (12 pages).
- Energy Employees Compensation: Obstacles Remain in Processing Cases Efficiently and Ensuring a Source of Benefit Payments. GAO-04-571T, March 30, 2004 (23 pages).
- Workplace Safety and Health:
OSHA's Voluntary Compliance Strategies Show Promising Results, but Should
be Fully Evaluated Before They Are Expanded. GAO-04-378,
March 19, 2004 (49 pages).
- Air Pollution: EPA Could Take Additional Steps to Help Maximize the Benefits from the 2007 Diesel Emissions Standards. GAO-04-313, March 11, 2004 (78 pages).
- Climate Change: Analysis of Two Studies of Estimated Costs of Implementing the Kyoto Protocol. GAO-04-144R, January 30, 2004 (20 pages).
- Endangered Species: Federal Agencies Have Worked to Improve the Consultation Process, but More Management Attention Is Needed. GAO-04-93, March 19, 2004 (107 pages).
- Grants Management: EPA Actions
Taken Against Nonprofit Grant Recipients in 2002.
GAO-04-383R, January 30, 2004 (54 pages).
- Grants Management: EPA Needs to Strengthen Efforts to Address Management Challenges. GAO-04-510T, March 3, 2004 (16 pages).
- Mutual Funds: Assessment of Regulatory Reforms to Improve the Management and Sale of Mutual Funds. GAO-04-533T, March 10, 2004 (28 pages).
- Federal Deposit Insurance
Corporation: Results of 2003 and 2002 Financial Audits.
GAO-04-522T, March 4, 2004 (11 pages).
- Financial Audit: American Battle Monuments Commission's Financial Statements for Fiscal Years 2003 and 2002. GAO-04-404, March 1, 2004 (32 pages).
- Financial Audit: Daniel Webster Senate Page Residence Revolving Fund's Fiscal Year 2002 Financial Statements. GAO-04-388, March 31, 2004 (12 pages).
- Financial Audit: Independent Counsel Expenditures for the Six Months Ended September 30, 2003. GAO-04-525, March 31, 2004 (16 pages).
- Financial Audit: Senate Health Promotion Revolving Fund's Fiscal Year 2002 Financial Statements. GAO-04-389, March 31, 2004 (12 pages).
- Financial Audit: Senate Restaurants
Revolving Fund for Fiscal Years 2003 and 2002.
GAO-04-416, March 9, 2004 (15 pages).
- Fiscal Year 2003 U.S. Government
Financial Statements: Sustained Improvement in Federal Financial Management
Is Crucial to Addressing Our Nation's Future Fiscal Challenges.
GAO-04-477T, March 3, 2004 (29 pages).
- Tobacco Settlement: States' Allocations of Fiscal Year 2003 and Expected Fiscal Year 2004 Payments. GAO-04-518, March 19, 2004 (74 pages).
- Continuity of Operations: Improved Planning Needed to Ensure Delivery of Essential Government Services. GAO-04-160, February 27, 2004 (26 pages).
- Human Capital: A Guide for Assessing Strategic Training and Development Efforts in the Federal Government. GAO-04-546G, March 1, 2004 (87 pages).
- Performance Budgeting: OMB's
Performance Rating Tool Presents Opportunities and Challenges For Evaluating
Program Performance. GAO-04-550T,
March 11, 2004
- Results-Oriented Government: GPRA Has Established a Solid Foundation for Achieving Greater Results. GAO-04-38, March 10, 2004 (269 pages).
- Results-Oriented Government: GPRA Has Established a Solid Foundation for Achieving Greater Results. GAO-04-594T, March 31, 2004 (18 pages).
- U.S. Postal Service Key Reasons
for Postal Reform. GAO-04-565T,
March 23, 2004
- Medicaid: Improved Federal
Oversight of State Financing Schemes Is Needed.
GAO-04-228, February 13, 2004 (87 pages).
- Medicaid: Intergovernmental
Transfers Have Facilitated State Financing Schemes.
GAO-04-574T, March 18, 2004 (14 pages).
- Medicare Home Health: Payments to Most Freestanding Home Health Agencies More Than Cover Their Costs. GAO-04-359, February 27, 2004 (25 pages).
- Medicare Savings Programs: Results of Social Security Administration's 2002 Outreach to Low-Income Beneficiaries. GAO-04-363, March 26, 2004 (40 pages).
- Prescription Drugs: State
Monitoring Programs May Help to Reduce Illegal Diversion.
GAO-04-524T, March 4, 2004 (11 pages).
- Private Health Insurance: Employers and Individuals Are Vulnerable to Unauthorized or Bogus Entities Selling Coverage. GAO-04-312, February 27, 2004 (48 pages).
- Private Health Insurance: Unauthorized or Bogus Entities Have Exploited Employers and Individuals Seeking Affordable Coverage. GAO-04-512T, March 3, 2004 (18 pages).
- Agencies' Use of Procurement Flexibilities Provided in the Homeland Security Act of 2002 (P.L. 107-296). GAO-04-447R, March 31, 2004 (3 pages).
- Aviation Security: Challenges Delay Implementation of Computer-Assisted Passenger Prescreening System. GAO-04-504T, March 17, 2004 (22 pages).
- Aviation Security: Improvement
still Needed in Federal Aviation Security Efforts.
GAO-04-592T, March 30, 2004 (22 pages).
- Combating Terrorism: Federal Agencies Face Continuing Challenges in Addressing Terrorist Financing and Money Laundering. GAO-04-501T, March 4, 2004 (15 pages).
- Homeland Security Advisory System: Preliminary Observations Regarding Threat Level Increases from Yellow to Orange. GAO-04-453R, February 26, 2004 (49 pages).
- Homeland Security: Risk Communication Principles May Assist in Refinement of the Homeland Security Advisory System. GAO-04-538T, March 16, 2004 (19 pages).
- Homeland Security: Risks Facing Key Border and Transportation Security Program Need to Be Addressed. GAO-04-569T, March 18, 2004 (17 pages).
- Homeland Security: Summary of Challenges Faced in Targeting Oceangoing Cargo Containers for Inspection. GAO-04-557T, March 31, 2004 (24 pages).
- Posthearing Questions Related to Proposed Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Human Capital Regulations. GAO-04-570R, March 22, 2004 (5 pages).
- Rural Housing Service: Standardization of Budget Estimation Processes Needed for Rental Assistance Program. GAO-04-424, March 25, 2004 (30 pages).
- Private Pensions: Multiemployer Pensions Face Key Challenges to Their Long-Term Prospects. GAO-04-542T, March 18, 2004 (21 pages).
- Private Pensions: Multiemployer
Plans Face Short- and Long-Term Challenges.
GAO-04-423, March 26, 2004 (28 pages).
- Private Pensions: Publicly Available Reports Provide Useful but Limited Information on Plans' Financial Condition. GAO-04-395, March 31, 2004 (42 pages).
- Social Security Disability: Commissioner Proposes Strategy to Improve the Claims Process, but Faces Implementation Challenges. GAO-04-552T, March 29, 2004 (12 pages).
- Computer-Based Patient Records: Sound Planning and Project Management Are Needed to Achieve a Two-Way Exchange of VA and DOD Health Data. GAO-04-402T, March 17, 2004 (14 pages).
- Critical Infrastructure Protection:
Challenges and Efforts to Secure Control Systems.
GAO-04-354, March 15, 2004 (40 pages).
- Critical Infrastructure Protection:
Challenges and Efforts to Secure Control Systems.
GAO-04-628T, March 30, 2004 (25 pages).
- Electronic Disability Claims Processing: SSA Needs to Address Risks Associated with Its Accelerated Systems Development Strategy. GAO-04-466, March 26, 2004 (56 pages).
- Electronic Government: Initiatives Sponsored by the Office of Management and Budget Have Made Mixed Progress. GAO-04-561T, March 24, 2004 (68 pages).
- Information Security: Continued Efforts Needed to Sustain Progress in Implementing Statutory Requirements. GAO-04-483T, March 16, 2004 (41 pages).
- Information Security: Further Efforts Needed to Address Serious Weaknesses to USDA. GAO-04-154, January 30, 2004 (28 pages).
- Information Security: Technologies to Secure Federal Systems. GAO-04-467, March 9, 2004 (84 pages).
- Information Technology Investment Management: A Framework for Assessing and Improving Process Maturity. GAO-04-394G, March 1, 2004 (136 pages).
- Information Technology Management: Improvements Needed in Strategic Planning, Performance Measurement, and Investment Management Governmentwide. GAO-04-478T, March 3, 2004 (18 pages).
- Information Technology: OMB and Department of Homeland Security Investment Reviews. GAO-04-323, February 10, 2004 (25 pages).
- Foreign Assistance: U.S.
Funding for Democracy-Related Programs (China). GAO-04-445R,
February 27, 2004 (10 pages).
- International Exchange Programs:
Open World Achieves Broad Participation; Enhanced Planning and Accountability
Could Strengthen Program. GAO-04-436,
March 17, 2004
- Nonproliferation: Improvements Needed for Controls on Exports of Cruise Missile and Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Technology. GAO-04-493T, March 9, 2004 (12 pages).
- Peace Corps: Status of Initiatives to Improve Volunteer Safety and Security. GAO-04-600T, March 24, 2004 (13 pages).
- Recovering Iraq's Assets:
Preliminary Observations on U.S. Efforts and Challenges.
GAO-04-579T, March 18, 2004 (12 pages).
- World Trade Organization: U.S. Companies' Views on China's Implementation of Its Commitments. GAO-04-508, March 24, 2004 (54 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- FBI Transformation: FBI Continues to Make Progress in Its Efforts to Transform and Address Priorities. GAO-04-578T, March 23, 2004 (36 pages).
- Federal Law Enforcement:
Information on Use of Investigation and Arrest Statistics.
GAO-04-411, March 19, 2004 (58 pages).
- Grants Management: Despite Efforts to Improve Weed and Seed Program Management, Challenges Remain. GAO-04-245, March 24, 2004 (43 pages).
- National Criminal History Improvement Program: Federal Grants Have Contributed to Progress. GAO-04-364, February 27, 2004 (56 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Assessments
of Major Weapon Programs. GAO-04-248,
March 31, 2004 (129 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: DOD Needs to Better Support Program Managers' Implementation of Anti-Tamper Protection. GAO-04-302, March 31, 2004 (21 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Stronger Management Practices Are Needed to Improve DOD's Software-Intensive Weapon Acquisitions. GAO-04-393, March 1, 2004 (48 pages).
- Defense Health Care: Status of Fiscal Year 2004 Requirements for Reservists' Benefits and Monitoring Beneficiaries' Access to Care. GAO-04-563R, March 17, 2004 (5 pages).
- Department of Defense: Further Actions Needed to Establish and Implement a Framework for Successful Business Transformation. GAO-04-626T, March 31, 2004 (27 pages).
- Department of Defense: Further
Actions Needed to Establish and Implement a Framework for Successful
Financial and Business Management Transformation. GAO-04-551T,
March 23, 2004 (28 pages).
- Force Structure: Improved Strategic Planning Can Enhance DOD's Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Efforts. GAO-04-342, March 17, 2004 (26 pages).
- Industrial Security: DOD Cannot Provide Adequate Assurances That Its Oversight Ensures the Protection of Classified Information. GAO-04-332, March 3, 2004 (29 pages).
- Military Base Closures: Observations on Preparations for the Upcoming Base Realignment and Closure Round. GAO-04-558T, March 25, 2004 (20 pages).
- Military Personnel: Bankruptcy Filings among Active Duty Service Members. GAO-04-465R, February 27, 2004 (8 pages).
- Military Personnel: Observations Related to Reserve Compensation, Selective Reenlistment Bonuses, and Mail Delivery to Deployed Troops. GAO-04-582T, March 24, 2004 (11 pages).
- Military Prepositioning: Observations on Army and Marine Corps Programs During Operation Iraqi Freedom and Beyond. GAO-04-562T, March 24, 2004 (16 pages).
- Military Treatment Facilities: Improvements Needed to Increase DOD Third-Party Collections. GAO-04-322R, February 20, 2004 (23 pages).
- Missile Defense: Actions Being Taken to Address Testing Recommendations, but Updated Assessment Needed. GAO-04-254, February 26, 2004 (24 pages).
- Tactical Aircraft: Changing
Conditions Drive Need for New F/A-22 Business Case.
GAO-04-391, March 15, 2004 (29 pages).
- Tactical Aircraft: Status of the F/A-22 and Joint Strike Fighter Programs. GAO-04-597T, March 25, 2004 (20 pages).
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles:
Major Management Issues Facing DOD's Development and Fielding Efforts.
March 17, 2004 (21 pages).
- Waters and Wetlands: Corps of Engineers Needs to Evaluate Its District Office Practices in Determining Jurisdiction. GAO-04-297, February 27, 2004 (45 pages).
- Food Stamp Program: Steps Have Been Taken to Increase Participation of Working Families, but Better Tracking of Efforts Is Needed. GAO-04-346, March 5, 2004 (50 pages).
- GAO Strategic Plan 2004-2009. GAO-04-534SP, March 1, 2004 (430 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Internal Revenue Service: Assessment of Fiscal Year 2005 Budget Request and 2004 Filing Season Performance. GAO-04-560T, March 30, 2004 (31 pages).
- Internal Revenue Service: Individual Taxpayer Indentification Numbers Can Be Improperly Obtained and Used. GAO-04-529T, March 10, 2004 (20 pages).
- International Taxation: Information
on Federal Contractors With Offshore Subsidiaries.
GAO-04-293, February 2, 2004 (25 pages).
- Tax Administration: Information on Expenses Claimed by Small Business Sole Proprietorships. GAO-04-304, January 23, 2004 (82 pages).
- Aviation Security: Factors
Could Limit the Effectiveness of the Transportation Security Administration's
Efforts to Secure Aerial Advertising Operations. GAO-04-499R,
March 5, 2004 (6 pages).
- Coast Guard Programs: Relationship between Resources Used and Results Achieved Needs to Be Clearer. GAO-04-432, March 22, 2004 (59 pages).
- Coast Guard: Replacement
of HH-65 Helicopter Engine. GAO-04-595,
March 24, 2004 (26 pages).
- Contract Management: Coast Guard's Deepwater Program Needs Increased Attention to Management and Contractor Oversight. GAO-04-380, March 9, 2004 (35 pages).
- Highway and Transit: Private Sector Sponsorship of and Investment in Major Projects Has Been Limited. GAO-04-419, March 25, 2004 (62 pages).
- Intercity Passenger Rail:
Amtrak's Management of Northeast Corridor Improvements Demonstrates
Need for Applying Best Practices. GAO-04-94,
February 27, 2004
- Maritime Law Exemption: Exemption Provides Limited Competitive Advantage, but Barriers to Further Entry under U.S. Flag Remain. GAO-04-421, February 27, 2004 (37 pages).
- Rail Security: Some Actions Taken to Enhance Passenger and Freight Rail Security, but Significant Challenges Remain. GAO-04-598T, March 23, 2004 (21 pages).
- DOD and VA Health Care: Incentives Program for Sharing Resources. GAO-04-495R, February 27, 2004 (4 pages).
- VA Health Care: Improved
Screening of Practitioners Would Reduce Risk to Veterans.
GAO-04-566, March 31, 2004 (33 pages).
- VA Health Care: Veterans
at Risk from Inconsistent Screening of Practitioners.
GAO-04-625T, March 31, 2004 (12 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- All Building Services, Inc.. B-293519, March 23, 2004 (4 pages).
- All Phase Environmental,
B-292919.6, B-292919.7, February 4, 2004 (8 pages).
- Anteon Corporation. B-293523, B-293523.2, March 29, 2004 (5 pages).
- Apex Foot Health Industries. B-293088, January 23, 2004 (4 pages).
- Application of Anti-Lobbying Laws to the Office of National Drug Control Policy's Open Letter to State Level Prosecutors. B-301022, March 10, 2004 (6 pages).
- Burney & Burney Construction Company, Inc.. B-292458.2, March 19, 2004 (3 pages).
- CAMS, Inc.--Costs. B-292546.2, March 22, 2004 (2 pages).
- Clapp & Mayne, a Division of Renaissance Information Systems, Inc.. B-292904, December 29, 2003 (6 pages).
- Department of the Army--Modification of Remedy. B-292768.5, March 25, 2004 (3 pages).
- Dismas Charities, Inc.. B-289575.2, B-289575.3, February 20, 2004 (4 pages).
- Entz Aerodyne, Inc.. B-293531, March 9, 2004 (4 pages).
- Information Ventures, Inc.. B-293518, B-293518.2, March 29, 2004 (4 pages).
- Kaneohe General Services, Inc.. B-293097.2, February 2, 2004 (3 pages).
- Medicare Prescription Drug,
Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003--Use of Appropriated Funds
for Flyer and Print and Television Advertisements. B-302504,
March 10, 2004 (20 pages).
- Millennium Data Systems, Inc.. B-292357.2, March 12, 2004 (8 pages).
- Paraclete Armor & Equipment, Inc.. B-293509, February 24, 2004 (6 pages).
- PharmChem, Inc.. B-292408.2, B-292408.3, January 30, 2004 (11 pages).
- Security Consultants Group, Inc.. B-293344.2, March 19, 2004 (4 pages).
- Shields & Dean Concessions, Inc.. B-292901.2, B-292901.3, February 23, 2004 (8 pages).
- Shields & Dean Concessions,
March 19, 2004
- Shindong-A Express Tour Company, Ltd.--Costs. B-292459.3, March 25, 2004 (6 pages).
- The Arora Group. B-293102, February 2, 2004 (5 pages).
- The Williams Brothers Corporation of America. B-293352, February 26, 2004 (3 pages).
- USFilter Operating Services, Inc.. B-293215, February 10, 2004 (4 pages).
- Vallie Bray. B-293840, B-293840.2, March 30, 2004 (3 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Health and
Human Services, Food and Drug Administration: Bar Code Label Requirement
for Human Drug Products and Biological Products. GAO-04-532R,
March 12, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration: Final Rule Declaring Dietary Supplements Containing Ephedrine Alkaloids Adulterated Because They Present an Unreasonable Risk. GAO-04-476R, February 26, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of the Interior, Minerals Management Service: Oil and Gas and Sulphur Operations in the Outer Continental Shelf--Relief or Reduction in Royalty Rates--Deep Gas Provisions. GAO-04-543R, March 16, 2004 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Jeff Nelligan, Managing Director of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail alerts about GAO products at the "Order GAO Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to email@example.com with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "GAO Reports" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
printed copies of any of these items from GAO by phone: