GAO Month in Review May 2007
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Agriculture and Food
- Crop Insurance: Continuing Efforts Are Needed to Improve Program Integrity and Ensure Program Costs Are Reasonable. GAO-07-819T, May 3, 2007 (18 pages).
- Food Stamp Program: Use of Alternative Methods to Apply for and Maintain Benefits Could Be Enhanced by Additional Evaluation and Information on Promising Practices. GAO-07-573, May 3, 2007 (46 pages).
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Bankruptcy Reform: Value of Credit Counseling Requirements Is Not Clear. GAO-07-778T, May 1, 2007 (16 pages).
- Consumer Protection: Some Improvements in Federal Oversight of Household Goods Moving Industry Since 2001, but More Action Needed to Better Protect Individual Consumers. GAO-07-586, May 16, 2007 (40 pages).
- Data on Hispanic Representation in the Federal Workforce. GAO-07-493R, May 18, 2007 (46 pages).
- Human Capital: Diversity in the Federal SES and the Senior Levels of the U.S. Postal Service. GAO-07-838T, May 10, 2007 (35 pages).
- Human Capital: Efforts to Enhance Diversity and Ensure a Fair and Inclusive Workplace at GAO. GAO-07-901T, May 22, 2007 (7 pages).
- Financial Literacy and Education Commission: Further Progress Needed to Ensure an Effective National Strategy. GAO-07-777T, April 30, 2007 (17 pages).
- Teacher Quality: Approaches, Implementation, and Evaluation of Key Federal Efforts. GAO-07-861T, May 17, 2007 (13 pages).
- Employee Misclassification: Improved Outreach Could Help Ensure Proper Worker Classification. GAO-07-859T, May 8, 2007 (12 pages).
- Retiree Health Benefits: Majority of Sponsors Continued to Offer Prescription Drug Coverage and Chose the Retiree Drug Subsidy. GAO-07-572, May 31, 2007 (57 pages).
- Trade Adjustment Assistance: Changes to Funding Allocation and Eligibility Requirements Could Enhance States' Ability to Provide Benefits and Services. GAO-07-701, May 31, 2007 (69 pages).
- Trade Adjustment Assistance: Changes to Funding Allocation and Eligibility Requirements Could Enhance States' Ability to Provide Benefits and Services. GAO-07-702, May 31, 2007 (69 pages).
- Vocational Rehabilitation: Improved Information and Practices May Enhance State Agency Earnings Outcomes for SSA Beneficiaries. GAO-07-521, May 23, 2007 (74 pages).
- Department of Energy: Consistent Application of Requirements Needed to Improve Project Management. GAO-07-518, May 11, 2007 (32 pages).
- Energy Markets: Factors That Influence Gasoline Prices. GAO-07-902T, May 22, 2007 (11 pages).
- Energy Markets: Mergers and Other Factors That Influence Gasoline Prices. GAO-07-894T, May 23, 2007 (15 pages).
- Nuclear Safety: DOE's Investigation of Phosgene Gas Contamination Was Inadequate, but Experts Conclude That Worker Safety and Facilities Are Not Threatened. GAO-07-712, May 31, 2007 (36 pages).
- Clean Water: Further Implementation and Better Cost Data Needed to Determine Impact of EPA's Storm Water Program on Communities. GAO-07-479, May 31, 2007 (59 pages).
- Climate Change: Financial Risks to Federal and Private Insurers in Coming Decades are Potentially Significant. GAO-07-820T, May 3, 2007 (19 pages).
- Great Lakes: EPA and States Have Made Progress in Implementing the BEACH Act, but Additional Actions Could Improve Public Health Protection. GAO-07-591, May 1, 2007 (60 pages).
- Financial Market Preparedness: Significant Progress Has Been Made, but Pandemic Planning and Other Challenges Remain. GAO-07-399, March 29, 2007 (49 pages).
- Information on Selected Issues Concerning Banking Activities. GAO-07-593R, April 30, 2007 (37 pages).
- Financial Audit: Congressional Award Foundation's Fiscal Years 2006 and 2005 Financial Statements. GAO-07-786, May 15, 2007 (20 pages).
- Improper Payments Information Act of 2002: Department of Defense Travel Expenditure Reporting. GAO-07-767R, May 31, 2007 (11 pages).
- Improper Payments: Responses to Posthearing Questions Related to Agencies' Progress in Addressing Improper Payment and Recovery Auditing Requirements. GAO-07-834R, May 30, 2007 (12 pages).
- Internal Control: Improvements Needed in the Library of Congress' Capitol Preservation Fund-Related Internal Controls. GAO-07-732R, May 25, 2007 (8 pages).
- Managerial Cost Accounting Practices at the Department of the Interior. GAO-07-298R, May 24, 2007 (16 pages).
- Federal Employees Health Benefits Program: Premiums Continue to Rise, but Rate of Growth Has Recently Slowed. GAO-07-873T, May 18, 2007 (11 pages).
- Federal Real Property: An Update on High-Risk Issues. GAO-07-895T, May 24, 2007 (24 pages).
- General Services Administration Could Better Manage Unexpended Construction Balances and Make Its Budget More Transparent. GAO-07-409R, May 9, 2007 (14 pages).
- IRS Emergency Planning: Headquarters Plans Supported Response to 2006 Flooding, but Additional Guidance Could Improve All Hazard Preparedness. GAO-07-579, April 16, 2007 (26 pages).
- Interstate Compacts: An Overview of the Structure and Governance of Environment and Natural Resource Compacts. GAO-07-519, April 3, 2007 (43 pages).
- Interstate Compacts: Results of a Survey of Officials from Interstate Compact Commissions That Address Environment and Natural Resource Management Issues (GAO-07-524SP, April 2007), an E-supplement to GAO-07-519. GAO-07-524SP, April 3, 2007.
- United States Government Accountability Office: Status of GAO's Human Capital Transformation Efforts. GAO-07-872T, May 22, 2007 (25 pages).
- Ambulance Providers: Costs and Expected Medicare Margins Vary Greatly. GAO-07-383, May 23, 2007 (55 pages).
- Drug Safety: Further Actions Needed to Improve FDA's Postmarket Decision-making Process. GAO-07-856T, May 9, 2007 (13 pages).
- Global Health: Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria Has Improved Its Documentation of Funding Decisions but Needs Standardized Oversight Expectations and Assessments. GAO-07-627, May 7, 2007 (44 pages).
- Hospital Quality Data: HHS Should Specify Steps and Time Frame for Using Information Technology to Collect and Submit Data. GAO-07-320, April 25, 2007 (53 pages).
- Medicaid: Concerns Remain about Sufficiency of Data for Oversight of Children's Dental Services. GAO-07-826T, May 2, 2007 (17 pages).
- Medicare Part D Low-Income Subsidy: Progress Made in Approving Applications, but Ability to Identify Remaining Individuals Is Limited. GAO-07-858T, May 8, 2007 (16 pages).
- Medicare Part D: Challenges in Enrolling New Dual-Eligible Beneficiaries. GAO-07-272, May 4, 2007 (66 pages).
- Medicare Part D: Enrolling New Dual-Eligible Beneficiaries in Prescription Drug Plans. GAO-07-824T, May 8, 2007 (11 pages).
- Medicare: Providing Systematic Feedback to Physicians on their Practice Patterns Is a Promising Step Toward Encouraging Program Efficiency. GAO-07-862T, May 10, 2007 (13 pages).
- NIH Conflict of Interest: Recusal Policies for Senior Employees Need Clarification. GAO-07-319, April 30, 2007 (24 pages).
- Nursing Home Reform: Continued Attention Is Needed to Improve Quality of Care in Small but Significant Share of Homes. GAO-07-794T, May 2, 2007 (39 pages).
- Pediatric Drug Research: The Study and Labeling of Drugs for Pediatric Use under the Best Pharmaceuticals for Children Act. GAO-07-898T, May 22, 2007 (14 pages).
- DHS Immigration Attorneys: Workload Analysis and Workforce Planning Efforts Lack Data and Documentation. GAO-07-206, April 17, 2007 (42 pages).
- DHS Privacy Office: Progress Made but Challenges Remain in Notifying and Reporting to the Public. GAO-07-522, April 27, 2007 (44 pages).
- Emergency Management: Status of School Districts' Planning and Preparedness. GAO-07-821T, May 17, 2007 (21 pages).
- Homeland Security: DHS Enterprise Architecture Continues to Evolve but Improvements Needed. GAO-07-564, May 9, 2007 (77 pages).
- Homeland Security: Management and Programmatic Challenges Facing the Department of Homeland Security. GAO-07-833T, May 10, 2007 (36 pages).
- Homeland Security: Observations on DHS and FEMA Efforts to Prepare for and Respond to Major and Catastrophic Disasters and Address Related Recommendations and Legislation. GAO-07-835T, May 15, 2007 (42 pages).
- Securing Wastewater Facilities: Costs of Vulnerability Assessments, Risk Management Plans, and Alternative Disinfection Methods Vary Widely. GAO-07-480, March 30, 2007 (25 pages).
- Information Security: FBI Needs to Address Weaknesses in Critical Network. GAO-07-368, April 30, 2007 (26 pages).
- Information Security: Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation Needs to Sustain Progress Improving Its Program. GAO-07-351, May 18, 2007 (32 pages).
- Information Technology: Homeland Security Information Network Needs to Be Better Coordinated with Key State and Local Initiatives. GAO-07-822T, May 10, 2007 (16 pages).
- Information Technology: Numerous Federal Networks Used to Support Homeland Security Need to Be Better Coordinated with Key State and Local Information-Sharing Initiatives. GAO-07-455, April 16, 2007 (77 pages).
- Information Technology: VA and DOD Are Making Progress in Sharing Medical Information, but Are Far from Comprehensive Electronic Medical Records. GAO-07-852T, May 8, 2007 (23 pages).
- Compacts of Free Association: Micronesia's and the Marshall Islands' Use of Sector Grants. GAO-07-514R, May 25, 2007 (74 pages).
- Foreign Assistance: Various Challenges Limit the Efficiency and Effectiveness of U.S. Food Aid. GAO-07-905T, May 24, 2007 (17 pages).
- International Trade: Persistent Weaknesses in the In-Bond Cargo System Impede Customs and Border Protection's Ability to Address Revenue, Trade, and Security Concerns. GAO-07-561, April 17, 2007 (44 pages).
- Military Operations: The Department of Defense's Use of Solatia and Condolence Payments in Iraq and Afghanistan. GAO-07-699, May 23, 2007 (56 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: Integrated Strategic Plan Needed to Help Restore Iraq's Oil and Electricity Sectors. GAO-07-677, May 15, 2007 (58 pages).
- Securing, Stabilizing, and Reconstructing Afghanistan: Key Issues for Congressional Oversight. GAO-07-801SP, May 24, 2007 (33 pages).
- Stabilizing and Rebuilding Iraq: Coalition Support and International Donor Commitments. GAO-07-827T, May 9, 2007 (16 pages).
- Armed Forces Retirement Home: Health Care Oversight Should Be Strengthened. GAO-07-790R, May 30, 2007 (65 pages).
- Business Systems Modernization: DOD Needs to Fully Define Policies and Procedures for Institutionally Managing Investments. GAO-07-538, May 11, 2007 (51 pages).
- DOD Business Systems Modernization: Progress Continues to Be Made in Establishing Corporate Management Controls, but Further Steps Are Needed. GAO-07-733, May 14, 2007 (56 pages).
- DOD Personnel Clearances: Delays and Inadequate Documentation Found for Industry Personnel. GAO-07-842T, May 17, 2007 (20 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Greater Synergies Possible for DOD's Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Systems. GAO-07-578, May 17, 2007 (36 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Improved Management and Oversight Needed to Better Control DOD's Acquisition of Services. GAO-07-832T, May 10, 2007 (19 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Success of Advanced SEAL Delivery System Hinges on Establishing a Sound Contracting Strategy and Performance Criteria. GAO-07-745, May 24, 2007 (23 pages).
- Defense Budget: Trends in Operation and Maintenance Costs and Support Services Contracting. GAO-07-631, May 18, 2007 (37 pages).
- Defense Health Care: Activities Related to Past Drinking Water Contamination at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune. GAO-07-276, May 11, 2007 (75 pages).
- Defense Infrastructure: Actions Needed to Guide DOD's Efforts to Identify, Prioritize, and Assess Its Critical Infrastructure. GAO-07-461, May 24, 2007 (43 pages).
- Defense Infrastructure: Full Costs and Security Implications of Cheyenne Mountain Realignment Have Not Been Determined. GAO-07-803R, May 21, 2007 (11 pages).
- Defense Transportation: DOD Has Taken Actions to Incorporate Lessons Learned in Transforming Its Freight Distribution System. GAO-07-675R, May 8, 2007 (24 pages).
- Defense Transportation: DOD Needs a Comprehensive Approach to Planning for Implementing Its New Personal Property Program. GAO-07-671, May 31, 2007 (50 pages).
- Global War on Terrorism: Reported Obligations for the Department of Defense. GAO-07-783R, May 18, 2007 (10 pages).
- Military Base Closures: Management Strategy Needed to Mitigate Challenges and Improve Communication to Help Ensure Timely Implementation of Air National Guard Recommendations. GAO-07-641, May 16, 2007 (50 pages).
- Military Health Care: TRICARE Cost-Sharing Proposals Would Help Offset Increasing Health Care Spending, but Projected Savings Are Likely Overestimated. GAO-07-647, May 31, 2007 (46 pages).
- Military Pay: Processes for Retaining Injured Army National Guard and Reserve Soldiers on Active Duty Have Been Improved, but Some Challenges Remain. GAO-07-608, May 29, 2007 (37 pages).
- MSHA's Revised Hiring Process Has Improved the Agency's Recruiting Efforts, but Its Human Capital Strategic Plan Does Not Adequately Project or Address Its Future Workforce Needs. GAO-07-704R, May 16, 2007 (12 pages).
- Mine Safety: Better Oversight and Coordination by MSHA and Other Federal Agencies Could Improve Safety for Underground Coal Miners. GAO-07-622, May 16, 2007 (81 pages).
- Mine Safety: MSHA's and Other Federal Agencies' Improved Oversight Could Enhance Safety for Coal Miners. GAO-07-855T, May 16, 2007 (20 pages).
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Procurement of Pumping Systems for the New Orleans Drainage Canals. GAO-07-908R, May 23, 2007 (46 pages).
- Child Welfare: Additional Federal Action Could Help States Address Challenges in Providing Services to Children and Families. GAO-07-850T, May 15, 2007 (30 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Internal Revenue Service: Assessment of the 2008 Budget Request and an Update of 2007 Performance. GAO-07-719T, May 9, 2007 (42 pages).
- Internet Access Tax Moratorium: Revenue Impacts Will Vary by State. GAO-07-896T, May 23, 2007 (24 pages).
- Management Report: IRS's First-Year Implementation of the Requirements of the Office of Management and Budget's (OMB) Revised Circular No. A-123. GAO-07-692R, May 18, 2007 (16 pages).
- Management Report: Improvements Needed in IRS's Internal Controls. GAO-07-689R, May 11, 2007 (31 pages).
- Tax Administration: Additional Time Needed to Complete Offshore Tax Evasion Examinations. GAO-07-237, March 30, 2007 (35 pages).
- Tax Compliance: Challenges in Ensuring Offshore Tax Compliance. GAO-07-823T, May 3, 2007 (28 pages).
- Tax Debt Collection: Measuring Taxpayer Opinions Regarding Private Collection Agencies. GAO-07-890T, May 23, 2007 (8 pages).
- Aviation Security: Efforts to Strengthen International Passenger Prescreening are Under Way, but Planning and Implementation Issues Remain. GAO-07-346, May 16, 2007 (48 pages).
- Aviation Security: Federal Efforts to Secure U.S.-Bound Air Cargo Are in the Early Stages and Could Be Strengthened. GAO-07-660, April 30, 2007 (101 pages).
- Aviation Security: Foreign Airport Assessments and Air Carrier Inspections Help Enhance Security, but Oversight of These Efforts Can Be Strengthened. GAO-07-729, May 11, 2007 (117 pages).
- Aviation Security: Risk, Experience, and Customer Concerns Drive Changes to Airline Passenger Screening Procedures, but Evaluation and Documentation of Proposed Changes Could Be Improved. GAO-07-634, April 16, 2007 (70 pages).
- Maritime Security: Opportunities Exist to Further Clarify the Consequences of a Liquefied Natural Gas Tanker Spill. GAO-07-840T, May 7, 2007 (7 pages).
- Next Generation Air Transportation System: Status of the Transition to the Future Air Traffic Control System. GAO-07-784T, May 9, 2007 (28 pages).
- Public Transportation: Preliminary Analysis of Changes to and Trends in FTA's New Starts and Small Starts Programs. GAO-07-812T, May 10, 2007 (26 pages).
- Rail Safety: The Federal Railroad Administration Is Better Targeting Safety Risks, but Needs to Assess Results to Determine the Impact of Its Efforts. GAO-07-841T, May 22, 2007 (16 pages).
- Responses to Questions for the Record; Hearing on JPDO and the Next Generation Air Transportation System: Status and Issues. GAO-07-918R, May 29, 2007 (10 pages).
- Responses to Questions for the Record; Hearing on the Future of Air Traffic Control Modernization. GAO-07-928R, May 30, 2007 (15 pages).
- Unified Motor Carrier Fee System: Progress Made but Challenges to Implementing New System Remain. GAO-07-771R, May 25, 2007 (32 pages).
- Department of Veterans Affairs' Lack of Timely and Accurate Information on Unexpended Balances Limits Effective Management and Congressional Oversight. GAO-07-410R, May 16, 2007 (21 pages).
- GAO Findings and Recommendations Regarding DOD and VA Disability Systems. GAO-07-906R, May 25, 2007 (16 pages).
- Veterans' Employment and Training Service: Labor Could Improve Information on Reemployment Services, Outcomes, and Program Impact. GAO-07-594, May 24, 2007 (48 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- A-TEK, Inc.. B-299557, May 3, 2007 (4 pages).
- Battelle Memorial Institute. B-299533, May 14, 2007 (4 pages).
- Dellew Corporation. B-299408, May 1, 2007 (6 pages).
- EBSCO Publishing, Inc.--Costs. B-298918.4, May 7, 2007 (3 pages).
- Forensic Quality Services-International. B-299723, May 23, 2007 (3 pages).
- Greenleaf Construction Company, Inc.. B-293105.21, B-293105.22, B-293105.23, April 4, 2007 (9 pages).
- IBM Global Business Services. B-298833.4, B-298833.5, March 1, 2007 (14 pages).
- Information Ventures, Inc.. B-299422, B-299422.2, May 1, 2007 (3 pages).
- Knight's Armament Company. B-299469, April 7, 2007 (4 pages).
- L-3 Communications Corporation, BT Fuze Products Division. B-299227, B-299227.2, March 14, 2007 (19 pages).
- M.Braun, Inc.. B-298935.2, May 21, 2007 (5 pages).
- Magellan Health Services. B-298912, January 5, 2007 (21 pages).
- Northwest Heritage Consultants. B-299547, May 10, 2007 (5 pages).
- Philadelphia Produce Market Wholesalers, LLC. B-298751.5, May 1, 2007 (5 pages).
- Phoenix Management, Inc.. B-299477, May 16, 2007 (6 pages).
- Rothe Computer Solutions, LLC d/b/a Rohmann Joint Venture. B-299452, May 9, 2007 (7 pages).
- Sikorsky Aircraft Company; Lockheed Martin Systems Integration-Owego--Request for Reconsideration. B-299145.4, March 29, 2007 (9 pages).
- Swales Aerospace--Costs. B-299260.4, April 30, 2007 (5 pages).
- Weidlinger Associates, Inc.. B-299433, B-299433.2, May 7, 2007 (10 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Energy, Federal Energy Regulatory Commsson: Mandatory Reliabiliy Standards for the Bulk-Power Sysem. GAO-07-792R, May 1, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Inpatient Psychiatric Facilities Prospective Payment System Payment Update for Rate Year Beginning July 1, 2007 (RY 2008). GAO-07-864R, May 17, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Prospective Payment System for Long-Term Care Hospitals RY 2008: Annual Payment Rate Updates, and Policy Changes; and Hospital Direct and Indirect Graduate Medical Education Policy Changes. GAO-07-876R, May 25, 2007 (4 pages).
- Environmental Protection Agency: Clean Air Fine Particle Implementation Rule. GAO-07-810R, May 10, 2007 (5 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: email@example.com with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.