GAO Month in Review August 2007
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Agriculture and Food
- National Animal Identification System: USDA Needs to Resolve Several Key Implementation Issues to Achieve Rapid and Effective Disease Traceback. GAO-07-592, July 6, 2007 (84 pages).
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Federal Advertising: Established Programs Were Largely Used to Address Executive Order Directive to Ensure Small and Minority-Owned Business Participation. GAO-07-877, July 12, 2007 (30 pages).
- Federal Family Education Loan Program: Increased Department of Education Oversight of Lender and School Activities Needed to Help Ensure Program Compliance. GAO-07-750, July 31, 2007 (50 pages).
- Higher Education: Including Public, Nonprofit, and For-Profit Institutions in a Single Definition Is Unlikely to Immediately Affect Federal Spending, but Long-term Effects Are Unclear. GAO-07-857, July 31, 2007 (42 pages).
- Yucca Mountain: DOE Has Improved Its Quality Assurance Program, but Whether Its Application for a NRC License Will Be High Quality Is Unclear. GAO-07-1010, August 2, 2007 (28 pages).
- Aboveground Oil Storage Tanks: Observations on EPA's Economic Analyses of Amendments to the Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure Rule. GAO-07-763, July 27, 2007 (52 pages).
- Small Business Administration: Additional Measures Needed to Assess 7(a) Loan Program's Performance. GAO-07-769, July 13, 2007 (65 pages).
- Financial Audit Manual: Volume Three, August 2007. GAO-07-1173G, August 28, 2007 (286 pages).
- Financial Management: Long-standing Financial Systems Weaknesses Present a Formidable Challenge. GAO-07-914, August 3, 2007 (54 pages).
- Homeland Security: Responses to Posthearing Questions Related to the Department of Homeland Security's Integrated Financial Management Systems Challenges. GAO-07-1157R, August 10, 2007 (10 pages).
- Response to a post hearing question related to GAO's December 6, 2006 testimony on continued findings of fraud, waste, and abuse associated with Hurricanes Katrina and Rita relief efforts. GAO-07-363R, January 12, 2007 (2 pages).
- Business Modernization: NASA Must Consider Agencywide Needs to Reap the Full Benefits of Its Enterprise Management System Modernization Effort. GAO-07-691, July 20, 2007 (34 pages).
- Capitol Power Plant: Status of Utility Tunnel Projects. GAO-07-1150T, August 1, 2007 (6 pages).
- Cost Assessment Guide: Best Practices for Estimating and Managing Program Costs--Exposure Draft. GAO-07-1134SP, July 2, 2007 (349 pages).
- Defense Contract Management: DOD's Lack of Adherence to Key Contracting Principles on Iraq Oil Contract Put Government Interests at Risk. GAO-07-839, July 31, 2007 (36 pages).
- Elections: Status of GAO's Review of Voting Equipment Used in Florida's 13th Congressional District. GAO-07-1167T, August 3, 2007 (6 pages).
- Gulf Coast Rebuilding: Observations on Federal Financial Implications. GAO-07-1079T, August 2, 2007 (18 pages).
- Highlights of a Forum: Modernizing Federal Disability Policy. GAO-07-934SP, August 3, 2007 (25 pages).
- Reexamining Regulations: Opportunities Exist to Improve Effectiveness and Transparency of Retrospective Reviews. GAO-07-791, July 16, 2007 (115 pages).
- Medicaid Demonstration Waivers: Lack of Opportunity for Public Input during Federal Approval Process Still a Concern. GAO-07-694R, July 24, 2007 (43 pages).
- Medicare Physician Payments: Medicare and Private Payment Differences for Anesthesia Services. GAO-07-463, July 27, 2007 (34 pages).
- Aviation Security: Federal Coordination for Responding to In-flight Security Threats Has Matured, but Procedures Can Be Strengthened. GAO-07-891R, July 31, 2007 (9 pages).
- Border Security: Long-term Strategy Needed to Keep Pace with Increasing Demand for Visas. GAO-07-847, July 13, 2007 (45 pages).
- Federal Housing Administration: Agency Should Assess the Effects of Proposed Changes to the Manufactured Home Loan Program. GAO-07-879, August 24, 2007 (65 pages).
- Rental Housing: Information on Low-Income Veterans' Housing Conditions and Participation in HUD's Programs. GAO-07-1012, August 17, 2007 (66 pages).
- Information Security: Homeland Security Needs to Immediately Address Significant Weaknesses in Systems Supporting the US-VISIT Program. GAO-07-870, July 13, 2007 (40 pages).
- Information Technology: FBI Following a Number of Key Acquisition Practices on New Case Management System but Improvements Still Needed. GAO-07-912, July 31, 2007 (60 pages).
- State Department: Staffing and Foreign Language Shortfalls Persist Despite Initiatives to Address Gaps. GAO-07-1154T, August 1, 2007 (18 pages).
- United Nations Organizations: Enhanced Efforts Needed to Increase U.S. Employment at UN Agencies. GAO-07-1152T, August 1, 2007 (17 pages).
- DOD is Making Progress in Adopting Best Practices for the Transformational Satellite Communications System and Space Radar but Still Faces Challenges. GAO-07-1029R, August 2, 2007 (62 pages).
- Defense Infrastructure: Management Actions Needed to Ensure Effectiveness of DOD's Risk Management Approach for the Defense Industrial Base. GAO-07-1077, August 31, 2007 (37 pages).
- Military Personnel: Air National Guard Has Taken Steps to Improve the Reliability of Personnel Strength Data, but More Needs to Be Done. GAO-07-1138R, July 31, 2007 (5 pages).
- Military Training: Actions Needed to More Fully Develop the Army's Strategy for Training Modular Brigades and Address Implementation Challenges. GAO-07-936, August 6, 2007 (36 pages).
- Sales of Sensitive Military Property to the Public. GAO-07-929R, July 6, 2007 (8 pages).
- Vehicle Fuel Economy: Reforming Fuel Economy Standards Could Help Reduce Oil Consumption by Cars and Light Trucks, and Other Options Could Complement These Standards. GAO-07-921, August 2, 2007 (61 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- NASA: Progress Made on Strategic Human Capital Management, but Future Program Challenges Remain. GAO-07-1004, August 8, 2007 (35 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Advance Earned Income Tax Credit: Low Use and Small Dollars Paid Impede IRS's Efforts to Reduce High Noncompliance. GAO-07-1110, August 10, 2007 (96 pages).
- Tax Gap: A Strategy for Reducing the Gap Should Include Options for Addressing Sole Proprietor Noncompliance. GAO-07-1014, July 13, 2007 (69 pages).
- Aviation Finance: Observations on the Current FAA Funding Structure's Support for Aviation Activities, Issues Affecting Future Costs, and Proposed Funding Changes. GAO-07-1163T, August 1, 2007 (18 pages).
- Freight Railroads: Updated Information on Rates and Other Industry Trends. GAO-07-291R, August 15, 2007 (14 pages).
- Freight Railroads: Electronic Supplement on Rates and Other Industry Trends, 1985-2005 (GAO-07-292SP), an E-supplement to GAO-07-291R. GAO-07-292SP, August 15, 2007.
- Railroad Bridges and Tunnels: Federal Role in Providing Safety Oversight and Freight Infrastructure Investment Could Be Better Targeted. GAO-07-770, August 6, 2007 (65 pages).
- Very Light Jets: Several Factors Could Influence Their Effect on the National Airspace System. GAO-07-1001, August 24, 2007 (38 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Beck's Spray Service, Inc.. B-299816, August 9, 2007 (4 pages).
- Benchmade Knife Co., Inc.. B-299366.3, B-299366.4, July 16, 2007 (4 pages).
- Business Consulting Associates, LLC. B-299758.2, August 1, 2007 (10 pages).
- Carson Helicopter Services, Inc.. B-299720, B-299720.2, July 30, 2007 (10 pages).
- Charleston Marine Containers, Inc.. B-299862, August 30, 2007 (4 pages).
- Council for Adult & Experiential Learning. B-299798.2, August 28, 2007 (8 pages).
- Data Management Services Joint Venture. B-299702, B-299702.2, July 24, 2007 (16 pages).
- Doug Boyd Enterprises, LLC. B-298237.2, August 6, 2007 (5 pages).
- Geo-Seis Helicopters, Inc.. B-299175, B-299175.2, March 5, 2007 (7 pages).
- Government Telecommunications, Inc.. B-299542.2, June 21, 2007 (10 pages).
- Hawkeye Glove Manufacturing, Inc.. B-299741, August 2, 2007 (4 pages).
- Interagency Agreements--Use of an Interagency Agreement between the Counterintelligence Field Activity, Department of Defense, and GovWorks to Obtain Office Space. B-309181, August 17, 2007 (11 pages).
- K9 Operations, Inc.. B-299923, August 6, 2007 (3 pages).
- MELE Associates, Inc.. B-299229.4, July 25, 2007 (9 pages).
- National Park Service--Special Park Use Fees. B-307319, August 23, 2007 (12 pages).
- OfficeMax, Inc.. B-299340.2, July 19, 2007 (9 pages).
- Outdoor Venture Corporation; Applied Companies. B-299675, B-299676, July 19, 2007 (6 pages).
- Panacea Consulting, Inc.. B-299307.4, B-299308.4, July 27, 2007 (6 pages).
- TELESIS Corporation. B-299804, August 27, 2007 (7 pages).
- The Mangi Environmental Group, Inc.. B-299721.3, August 2, 2007 (4 pages).
- Wizdom Systems, Inc.. B-299829, August 3, 2007 (10 pages).
- XTec, Inc.. B-299744.2, B-299744.3, August 6, 2007 (13 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Agriculture, Food Safety and Inspection Service: Prohibition of the Use of Specified Risk Materials for Human Food and Requirements for the Disposition of Non-Ambulatory Disabled Cattle; Prohibition of the Use of Certain Stunning Devices Use to Immobilize Cattle During Slaughter. GAO-07-1123R, August 15, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Commerce, National Telecommunications and Information Administration: Public Safety Interoperable Communications (PSIC) Grant Program. GAO-07-1141R, August 3, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicaid Program; Prescription Drugs. GAO-07-1118R, August 1, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Prospective Payment System for Federal Fiscal Year 2008. GAO-07-1185R, August 22, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Prospective Payment System and Consolidated Billing for Skilled Nursing Facilities for FY 2008. GAO-07-1181R, August 17, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Revised Payment System Policies for Services Furnished in Ambulatory Surgical Centers (ASCs) Beginning in CY 2008. GAO-07-1177R, August 17, 2007 (4 pages).
- Securities and Exchange Commission: Shareholder Choice Regarding Proxy Materials. GAO-07-1170R, August 15, 2007 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Susan Becker of Public Affairs at (202) 512-4800 or via email at BeckerS@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "E-mail Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimonies" section or the "Legal Decisions" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.