GAO Month in Review October 2006
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Business, Industry, and Consumers
Credit Cards: Increased Complexity in Rates and Fees Heightens Need for More Effective Disclosures to Consumers. GAO-06-929, September 12, 2006 (108 pages).
- Natural Gas: Roles of Federal and State Regulators in Overseeing Prices. GAO-06-968, September 8, 2006 (28 pages).
- Strategic Petroleum Reserve: Available Oil Can Provide Significant Benefits, but Many Factors Should Influence Future Decisions about Fill, Use, and Expansion. GAO-06-872, August 24, 2006 (66 pages).
- Minority Banks: Regulators Need to Better Assess Effectiveness of Support Efforts. GAO-07-6, October 4, 2006 (68 pages).
- Minority Banks: GAO Survey of Minority Banks. GAO-07-7SP, October 4, 2006.
- Financial Audit: Restated Financial Statements: Agencies' Management and Auditor Disclosures of Causes and Effects and Timely Communication to Users. GAO-07-91, October 5, 2006 (38 pages).
- Financial Management: Review of the Financial Statement Audit of the White House Commission on the National Moment of Remembrance for Fiscal Year 2005 and Status of GAO Audit Recommendations. GAO-07-61R, October 26, 2006 (10 pages).
- Federal Real Property: NIH Has Improved Its Leasing Process, but Needs to Provide Congress with Information on Some Leases. GAO-06-918, September 8, 2006 (16 pages).
- Highlights of a GAO Forum: Federal Acquisition Challenges and Opportunities in the 21st Century. GAO-07-45SP, October 6, 2006 (35 pages).
- Indian Issues: BLM's Program for Issuing Individual Indian Allotments on Public Lands Is No Longer Viable. GAO-07-23R, October 20, 2006 (21 pages).
- Health Professional Shortage Areas: Problems Remain with Primary Care Shortage Area Designation System. GAO-07-84, October 24, 2006 (61 pages).
- Medicaid Third-Party Liability: Federal Guidance Needed to Help States Address Continuing Problems. GAO-06-862, September 15, 2006 (31 pages).
- Medicare Integrity Program: Agency Approach for Allocating Funds Should Be Revised. GAO-06-813, September 6, 2006 (45 pages).
- Combating Nuclear Smuggling: DHS's Cost-Benefit Analysis to Support the Purchase of New Radiation Detection Portal Monitors Was Not Based on Available Performance Data and Did Not Fully Evaluate All the Monitors' Costs and Benefits. GAO-07-133R, October 17, 2006 (26 pages).
- Homeland Security: Federal Protective Service Could Better Measure the Performance of Its Control Centers. GAO-06-1076, September 29, 2006 (63 pages).
- Homeland Security: Opportunities Exist to Enhance Collaboration at 24/7 Operations Centers Staffed by Multiple DHS Agencies. GAO-07-89, October 20, 2006 (49 pages).
- Terrorist Watch List Screening: Efforts to Help Reduce Adverse Effects on the Public. GAO-06-1031, September 29, 2006 (72 pages).
- Transportation Security: DHS Should Address Key Challenges before Implementing the Transportation Worker Identification Credential Program. GAO-06-982, September 29, 2006 (52 pages).
- Information Security: Coordination of Federal Cyber Security Research and Development. GAO-06-811, September 29, 2006 (29 pages).
- Information Security: The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Needs to Improve Controls over Key Communication Network. GAO-06-750, August 30, 2006 (17 pages).
- Foreign Assistance: Recent Improvements Made, but USAID Should Do More to Help Ensure Aid Is Not Provided for Terrorist Activities in West Bank and Gaza. GAO-06-1062R, September 29, 2006 (42 pages).
- Overseas Presence: State and USAID Should Adopt a Comprehensive Plan to Improve the Consolidation of Overseas Support Services. GAO-06-829, September 8, 2006 (47 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: Status of Competition for Iraq Reconstruction Contracts. GAO-07-40, October 6, 2006 (26 pages).
- United Nations: Management Reforms Progressing Slowly with Many Awaiting General Assembly Review. GAO-07-14, October 5, 2006 (64 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Information Technology: FBI Has Largely Staffed Key Modernization Program, but Strategic Approach to Managing Program's Human Capital Is Needed. GAO-07-19, October 16, 2006 (26 pages).
- DOD Personnel Clearances: Additional OMB Actions Are Needed to Improve the Security Clearance Process. GAO-06-1070, September 28, 2006 (65 pages).
- Influenza Pandemic: DOD Has Taken Important Actions to Prepare, but Accountability, Funding, and Communications Need to be Clearer and Focused Departmentwide. GAO-06-1042, September 21, 2006 (49 pages).
- Biscuit Fire Recovery Project: Analysis of Project Development, Salvage Sales, and Other Activities. GAO-06-967, September 18, 2006 (69 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- Commercial Space Launches: FAA Needs Continued Planning and Monitoring to Oversee the Safety of the Emerging Space Tourism Industry. GAO-07-16, October 20, 2006 (62 pages).
- Child Welfare: Improving Social Service Program, Training, and Technical Assistance Information Would Help Address Long-standing Service-Level and Workforce Challenges. GAO-07-75, October 6, 2006 (50 pages).
- D.C. Child and Family Services Agency: Performance Has Improved, but Exploring Health Care Options and Providing Specialized Training May Further Enhance Performance. GAO-06-1093, September 28, 2006 (35 pages).
- Food Stamp Trafficking: FNS Could Enhance Program Integrity by Better Targeting Stores Likely to Traffic and Increasing Penalties. GAO-07-53, October 13, 2006 (36 pages).
- Human Service Programs: Demonstration Projects Could Identify Ways to Simplify Policies and Facilitate Technology Enhancements to Reduce Administrative Costs. GAO-06-942, September 19, 2006 (52 pages).
- GAO's Performance Plans for Fiscal Year 2007. GAO-07-146SP, October 1, 2006 (22 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Federal Tax Policy: Information on Selected Capital Facilities Related to the Essential Governmental Function Test. GAO-06-1082, September 13, 2006 (32 pages).
- Tax Debt Collection: IRS Needs to Complete Steps to Help Ensure Contracting Out Achieves Desired Results and Best Use of Federal Resources. GAO-06-1065, September 29, 2006 (59 pages).
- Aviation Finance: Observations on Potential FAA Funding Options. GAO-06-973, September 29, 2006 (45 pages).
- Coast Guard: Condition of Some Aids-to-Navigation and Domestic Icebreaking Vessels Has Declined; Effect on Mission Performance Appears Mixed. GAO-06-979, September 22, 2006 (55 pages).
- Freight Railroads: Industry Health Has Improved, but Concerns about Competition and Capacity Should Be Addressed. GAO-07-94, October 6, 2006 (89 pages).
Veterans' Disability Benefits: VA Should Improve Its Management of Individual Unemployability Benefits by Strengthening Criteria, Guidance, and Procedures. GAO-06-309, May 30, 2006 (50 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
Abstinence Education: Applicability of Section 317P of the Public Health Service Act. B-308128, October 18, 2006 (8 pages).
- Advanced Systems Development, Inc.. B-298411, B-298411.2, September 19, 2006 (21 pages).
- Advanced Technology Systems, Inc.. B-296493.5, September 26, 2006 (25 pages).
- Advanced Technology Systems, Inc.. B-296493.6, October 6, 2006 (10 pages).
- Alion Science & Technology Corporation. B-297022.4, B-297022.5, September 26, 2006 (10 pages).
- Brian X. Scott. B-298568, October 26, 2006 (5 pages).
- Buckley & Kaldenbach, Inc.. B-298572, October 4, 2006 (4 pages).
- Capps Shoe Company, Inc.. B-298196, B-298196.2, July 6, 2006 (6 pages).
- Crown Title Corporation. B-298426, September 21, 2006 (6 pages).
- Dellew Corporation. B-298233.2, B-298233.3, September 13, 2006 (6 pages).
- Eagle Home Medical Corporation. B-298478, October 13, 2006 (5 pages).
- JWK International Corporation. B-297758.3, August 31, 2006 (9 pages).
- Joint Systems, Inc..B-298573, October 6, 2006 (4 pages).
- Kearney & Company. B-298436.2, October 4, 2006 (4 pages).
- Navy--Reenlistment Gifts. B-307892, October 11, 2006 (5 pages).
- Praxair Inc.. B-298327, August 24, 2006 (8 pages).
- Singleton Enterprises. B-298576, October 31, 2006 (6 pages).
- Symetrics Industries, LLC. B-298759, October 16, 2006 (4 pages).
- Tarheel Specialties, Inc.. B-298197; B-298197.2, July 17, 2006 (10 pages).
- Technical Support Services. B-298527, October 12, 2006 (4 pages).
- The Arora Group, Inc.. B-297838.3, September 12, 2006 (10 pages).
- United Medical Systems-DE, Inc.. B-298438, September 27, 2006 (4 pages).
- University of Dayton Research Institute--Costs. B-296946.7, October 23, 2006 (4 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Inpatient Hospital Deductible and Hospital and Extended Care Services Coinsurance Amounts for Calendar Year 2007. GAO-07-102R, October 3, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Medicare Part B Monthly Actuarial Rates, Premium Rates, and Annual Deductible for Calendar Year 2007. GAO-07-103R, October 3, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Part A Premium for Calendar Year 2007 for the Uninsured Aged and for Certain Disabled Individuals Who Have Exhausted Other Entitlement. GAO-07-101R, October 3, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration: Retail Sales of Scheduled Listed Chemical Products; Self-Certification of Regulated Sellers of Scheduled Listed Chemical Products. GAO-07-116R, October 10, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: Migratory Bird Hunting; Final Frameworks for Late-Season Migratory Bird Hunting Regulations. GAO-07-108R, October 10, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: Migratory Bird Hunting; Late Seasons and Bag and Possession Limits for Certain Migratory Game Birds. GAO-07-109R, October 10, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: Migratory Bird Hunting; Migratory Bird Hunting Regulations on Certain Federal Indian Reservations and Ceded Lands for the 2006-07 Early Season. GAO-07-107R, October 5, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: Migratory Bird Hunting; Regulations on Certain Federal Indian Reservations and Ceded Lands for the 2006-07 Late Season. GAO-07-122R, October 16, 2006 (4 pages).
- Environmental Protection Agency: National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Particulate Matter. GAO-07-160R, October 26, 2006 (4 pages).
- Securities and Exchange Commission: Mutual Fund Redemption Fees. GAO-07-128R, October 16, 2006 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.