GAO Month in Review November 2006
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Company Formations: Minimal Ownership Information Is Collected and Available. GAO-07-196T, November 14, 2006 (22 pages).
- Small Business Innovation Research: Agencies Need to Strengthen Efforts to Improve the Completeness, Consistency, and Accuracy of Awards Data. GAO-07-38, October 19, 2006 (31 pages).
- Abstinence Education: Efforts to Assess the Accuracy and Effectiveness of Federally Funded Programs. GAO-07-87, October 3, 2006 (57 pages).
- Capital Financing: Department Management Improvements Could Enhance Education's Loan Program for Historically Black Colleges and Universities. GAO-07-64, October 18, 2006 (45 pages).
- Higher Education: More Information Could Help Education Determine the Extent to Which Eligible Servicemembers Serving on Active Duty Benefited from Relief Provided by Lenders and Schools. GAO-07-11, November 1, 2006 (43 pages).
- Applying Agreed-Upon Procedures: Airport and Airway Trust Fund Excise Taxes. GAO-07-132R, November 3, 2006 (16 pages).
- Applying Agreed-Upon Procedures: Federal Unemployment Taxes. GAO-07-130R, November 3, 2006 (6 pages).
- Applying Agreed-Upon Procedures: Highway Trust Fund Excise Taxes. GAO-07-131R, November 3, 2006 (17 pages).
- Financial Audit: Bureau of the Public Debt's Fiscal Years 2006 and 2005 Schedules of Federal Debt. GAO-07-127, November 7, 2006 (28 pages).
- Financial Audit: Securities and Exchange Commission's Financial Statements for Fiscal Years 2006 and 2005. GAO-07-134, November 15, 2006 (81 pages).
- Principles of Federal Appropriations Law: Third Edition, Index and Table of Authorities. GAO-06-1059SP, November 7, 2006 (226 pages).
- Capitol Power Plant Utility Tunnels. GAO-07-227R, November 16, 2006 (11 pages).
- Capitol Visitor Center: Update on Status of Project's Schedule and Cost As of November 15, 2006. GAO-07-129T, November 15, 2006 (27 pages).
- Eminent Domain: Information about Its Uses and Effect on Property Owners and Communities Is Limited. GAO-07-28, November 30, 2006 (53 pages).
- GAO Performance and Accountability Report Fiscal Year 2006. GAO-07-2SP, November 15, 2006 (193 pages).
- Improper Payments: Agencies' Fiscal Year 2005 Reporting under the Improper Payments Information Act Remains Incomplete. GAO-07-92, November 14, 2006 (77 pages).
- President's Management Agenda: Review of OMB's Improved Financial Performance Scorecard Process. GAO-07-95, November 16, 2006 (24 pages).
- Suggested Areas for Oversight for the 110th Congress. GAO-07-235R, November 17, 2006 (42 pages).
- Foreign Physicians: Data on Use of J-1 Visa Waivers Needed to Better Address Physician Shortages. GAO-07-52, November 30, 2006 (46 pages).
- Medicaid: Strategies to Help States Address Increased Expenditures during Economic Downturns. GAO-07-97, October 18, 2006 (69 pages).
- Medicare: Payment for Ambulatory Surgical Centers Should Be Based on the Hospital Outpatient Payment System. GAO-07-86, November 30, 2006 (27 pages).
- Analysis of Data for Exports Regulated by the Department of Commerce. GAO-07-197R, November 13, 2006 (15 pages).
- Critical Infrastructure Protection: Progress Coordinating Government and Private Sector Efforts Varies by Sectors' Characteristics. GAO-07-39, October 16, 2006 (63 pages).
- Private Pensions: Changes Needed to Provide 401(k) Plan Participants and the Department of Labor Better Information on Fees. GAO-07-21, November 16, 2006 (38 pages).
- Social Security Administration: Short Time Frame and Workload Challenges Could Affect Timely Implementation of Income-Based Medicare Part B Premiums. GAO-07-228R, November 17, 2006 (22 pages).
- Social Security Disability Programs: Clearer Guidance Could Help SSA Apply the Medical Improvement Standard More Consistently. GAO-07-8, October 3, 2006 (41 pages).
- Social Security Disability Programs: Survey of Disability Determination Services Directors. GAO-07-4SP, October 3, 2006.
- Information Security: Agencies Need to Develop and Implement Adequate Policies for Periodic Testing. GAO-07-65, October 20, 2006 (23 pages).
- Managing Sensitive Information: DOJ Needs a More Complete Staffing Strategy for Managing Classified Information and a Set of Internal Controls for Other Sensitive Information. GAO-07-83, October 20, 2006 (45 pages).
- Telecommunications: FCC Needs to Improve Its Ability to Monitor and Determine the Extent of Competition in Dedicated Access Services. GAO-07-80, November 29, 2006 (76 pages).
- Afghanistan Drug Control: Despite Improved Efforts, Deteriorating Security Threatens Success of U.S. Goals. GAO-07-78, November 15, 2006 (40 pages).
- Department of State Contract for Security Installation at Embassies. GAO-07-34R, November 8, 2006 (14 pages).
- Foreign Assistance: U.S. Democracy Assistance for Cuba Needs Better Management and Oversight. GAO-07-147, November 15, 2006 (58 pages).
- International Trade: Customs' Revised Bonding Policy Reduces Risk of Uncollected Duties, but Concerns about Uneven Implementation and Effects Remain. GAO-07-50, October 18, 2006 (55 pages).
- State Department Contract for Security Installation at Embassies Awarded to 8(a) Joint Venture. GAO-07-33R, November 8, 2006 (6 pages).
- United Nations: Renovation Planning Follows Industry Practices, but Procurement and Oversight Could Present Challenges. GAO-07-31, November 16, 2006 (36 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Immigration Benefits: Additional Efforts Needed to Help Ensure Alien Files Are Located when Needed. GAO-07-85, October 27, 2006 (24 pages).
- Immigration Benefits: Fifteenth Report Required by the Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act of 1998. GAO-07-168R, November 9, 2006 (5 pages).
- Prevalence of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Dating Violence, and Stalking. GAO-07-148R, November 13, 2006 (54 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Challenges Remain in Developing Capabilities for Naval Surface Fire Support. GAO-07-115, November 30, 2006 (38 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Tailored Approach Needed to Improve Service Acquisition Outcomes. GAO-07-20, November 9, 2006 (48 pages).
- Defense Business Transformation: A Comprehensive Plan, Integrated Efforts, and Sustained Leadership Are Needed to Assure Success. GAO-07-229T, November 16, 2006 (44 pages).
- Defense Travel System: Estimated Savings Are Questionable and Improvements Are Needed to Ensure Functionality and Increase Utilization. GAO-07-208T, November 16, 2006 (23 pages).
- Depot Maintenance: Actions Needed to Provide More Consistent Funding Allocation Data to Congress. GAO-07-126, November 30, 2006 (25 pages).
- Global War On Terrorism: Fiscal Year 2006 Obligation Rates Are Within Funding Levels and Significant Multiyear Procurement Funds Will Likely Remain Available for Use in Fiscal Year 2007. GAO-07-76, November 13, 2006 (39 pages).
- Military Personnel: Reserve Components Need Guidance to Accurately and Consistently Account for Volunteers on Active Duty for Operational Support. GAO-07-93, October 31, 2006 (20 pages).
- Forest Service: Use of Categorical Exclusions for Vegetation Management Projects, Calendar Years 2003 through 2005. GAO-07-99, October 10, 2006 (81 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- Space Acquisitions: DOD Needs to Take More Action to Address Unrealistic Initial Cost Estimates of Space Systems. GAO-07-96, November 17, 2006 (50 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Financial Audit: IRS's Fiscal Years 2006 and 2005 Financial Statements. GAO-07-136, November 9, 2006 (149 pages).
- Internal Revenue Service: Procedural Changes Could Enhance Tax Collections. GAO-07-26, November 15, 2006 (48 pages).
- Tax Administration: Little Evidence of Procedural Errors in Collection Due Process Appeal Cases, but Opportunities Exist to Improve the Program. GAO-07-112, October 6, 2006 (49 pages).
- Tax Administration: Most Filing Season Services Continue to Improve, but Opportunities Exist for Additional Savings. GAO-07-27, November 15, 2006 (56 pages).
- FAA's Proposed Plan for Implementing a Reliability Centered Maintenance Process for Air Traffic Control Equipment. GAO-07-81R, November 9, 2006 (14 pages).
- Federal Transit Administration: Progress Made in Implementing Changes to the Job Access Program, but Evaluation and Oversight Processes Need Improvement. GAO-07-43, November 17, 2006 (72 pages).
- Freight Railroads: Highlights of GAO Report on Freight Rail Industry Performance, Competition, and Capacity. GAO-07-207R, November 8, 2006 (27 pages).
- National Transportation Safety Board: Progress Made, Yet Management Practices, Investigation Priorities, and Training Center Use Should Be Improved. GAO-07-118, November 22, 2006 (78 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Advanced Federal Services Corp.. B-298662, November 15, 2006 (6 pages).
- Avue Technologies Corp., Carahsoft Technology Corp.. B-298380.3, November 15, 2006 (8 pages).
- Bannum, Inc.. B-298281.2, October 16, 2006 (9 pages).
- Boersma Travel Services. B-297986.2, November 17, 2006 (6 pages).
- Celadon Laboratories, Inc.. B-298533, November 1, 2006 (8 pages).
- Department of the Interior: Royalty-in-Kind Oil and Gas Preferences. B-307767, November 13, 2006 (8 pages).
- East-West Industries, Inc.. B-297391.2, B-297391.3, July 19, 2006 (9 pages).
- GAO Bid Protest Annual Report to the Congress for Fiscal Year 2006. GAO-07-155R, November 15, 2006 (2 pages).
- General Electrodynamics Corporation. B-298698, B-298698.2, November 27, 2006 (7 pages).
- Kellogg Brown & Root Services, Inc.. B-298694, B-298694.2, B-298694.3, November 16, 2006 (11 pages).
- MD Helicopters, Inc; AgustaWestland, Inc.. B-298502, B-298502.2, B-298502.3, B-298502.4, B-298502.5, October 23, 2006 (50 pages).
- Miramar Construction, Inc.. B-298609, October 31, 2006 (9 pages).
- Multimax, Inc.; NCI Information Systems, Inc.; BAE Systems Information Technology LLC; Northrop Grumman Information Technology, Inc.; Pragmatics, Inc.. B-298249.6, B-298249.7, B-298249.8, B-298249.9, B-298249.10, B-298249.11, B-298249.12, B-298249.13, B-298249.14, B-298249.15, B-298249.16, B-298249.17, B-298249.18, B-298249.19, B-298249.20, October 24, 2006 (16 pages).
- Omega Systems, Inc.. B-298767, November 6, 2006 (3 pages).
- Phyllis M. Chestang. B-298394.3, November 20, 2006 (6 pages).
- Sealift, Inc.. B-298588, October 13, 2006 (3 pages).
- SunEdison, LLC. B-298583, B-298583.2, October 30, 2006 (6 pages).
- eFedBudget Corporation. B-298627, November 15, 2006 (9 pages).
- Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Home Health Prospective Payment System Rate Update for Calendar Year 2007 and Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 Changes to Medicare Payment for Oxygen Equipment and Capped Rental Durable Medical Equipment. GAO-07-230R, November 22, 2006 (4 pages).
- Environmental Protection Agency: National Primary Drinking Water Regulations: Ground Water Rule. GAO-07-199R, November 21, 2006 (4 pages).
- Social Security Administration: Medicare Part B Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount. GAO-07-204R, November 7, 2006 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.