GAO Month in Review June 2006
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Agriculture and Food
- Crop Insurance: More Needs To Be Done to Reduce Program's Vulnerability to Fraud, Waste, and Abuse. GAO-06-878T, June 15, 2006 (14 pages).
- Farm Loan Programs: GAO Reports on USDA Lending Practices. GAO-06-912R, June 28, 2006 (5 pages).
Budget and Spending
- Community Development Block Grant Formula: Options for Improving the Targeting of Funds. GAO-06-904T, June 27, 2006 (6 pages).
- H-1B Visa Program: Labor Could Improve Its Oversight and Increase Information Sharing with Homeland Security. GAO-06-720, June 22, 2006 (51 pages).
- H-1B Visa Program: More Oversight by Labor Can Improve Compliance with Program Requirements. GAO-06-901T, June 22, 2006 (16 pages).
- Immigration Enforcement: Weaknesses Hinder Employment Verification and Worksite Enforcement Efforts. GAO-06-895T, June 19, 2006 (23 pages).
- Energy Security: Issues Related to Potential Reductions in Venezuelan Oil Production. GAO-06-668, June 27, 2006 (46 pages).
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission: Preliminary Observations on Its Oversight to Ensure the Safe Operation of Nuclear Power Plants. GAO-06-886T, June 15, 2006 (18 pages).
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission: Preliminary Observations on Its Process to Oversee the Safe Operation of Nuclear Power Plants. GAO-06-888T, June 19, 2006 (19 pages).
- U.S. Enrichment Corporation Privatization: USEC's Delays in Providing Data Hinder DOE's Oversight of the Uranium Decontamination Agreement. GAO-06-723, June 16, 2006 (36 pages).
- Clean Water: How States Allocate Revolving Loan Funds and Measure Their Benefits. GAO-06-579, June 5, 2006 (48 pages).
- Environmental Compliance and Enforcement: EPA's Effort to Improve and Make More Consistent Its Compliance and Enforcement Activities. GAO-06-840T, June 28, 2006 (13 pages).
- Environmental Liabilities: Hardrock Mining Cleanup Obligations. GAO-06-884T, June 14, 2006 (6 pages).
- Superfund: Better Financial Assurances and More Effective Implementation of Institutional Controls Are Needed to Protect the Public. GAO-06-900T, June 15, 2006 (7 pages).
- Defense Working Capital Fund: Military Services Did Not Calculate and Report Carryover Amounts Correctly. GAO-06-530, June 27, 2006 (40 pages).
- Department of Energy, Office of Worker Advocacy: Deficient Controls Led to Millions of Dollars in Improper and Questionable Payments to Contractors. GAO-06-547, May 31, 2006 (70 pages).
- Department of Homeland Security's Use of Special Streamlined Acquisition Authorities in Section 833 of the Homeland Security Act of 2002. GAO-06-783R, June 20, 2006 (3 pages).
- Expedited Assistance for Victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita: FEMA's Control Weaknesses Exposed the Government to Significant Fraud and Abuse. GAO-06-655, June 16, 2006 (49 pages).
- Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Disaster Relief: Improper and Potentially Fraudulent Individual Assistance Payments Estimated to Be Between $600 Million and $1.4 Billion. GAO-06-844T, June 14, 2006 (26 pages).
- 2010 Census: Census Bureau Needs to Take Prompt Actions to Resolve Long-standing and Emerging Address and Mapping Challenges. GAO-06-272, June 15, 2006 (38 pages).
- 2010 Census: Costs and Risks Must be Closely Monitored and Evaluated with Mitigation Plans in Place. GAO-06-822T, June 6, 2006 (20 pages).
- Alaska Native Corporations: Increased Use of Special 8(a) Provisions Calls for Tailored Oversight. GAO-06-874T, June 21, 2006 (7 pages).
- Capitol Visitor Center: Update on Status of Project's Schedule and Cost As of June 28, 2006. GAO-06-827T, June 28, 2006 (24 pages).
- Elections: The Nation's Evolving Election System as Reflected in the November 2004 General Election. GAO-06-450, June 6, 2006 (518 pages).
- Elections: 2005 Survey of State Election Officials. GAO-06-451SP, June 6, 2006 (3 pages).
- Elections: 2005 Survey of Local Election Jurisdictions. GAO-06-452SP, June 6, 2006 (2 pages).
- Equal Employment Opportunity: Improved Coordination Needed between EEOC and OPM in Leading Federal Workplace EEO. GAO-06-214, June 16, 2006 (90 pages).
- Indians' Additional Compensation Claims: Calculations for the Crow Creek Sioux and Lower Brule Sioux Tribes Differ from Approach Used in Prior GAO Reports. GAO-06-849T, June 14, 2006 (19 pages).
- Office of Personnel Management: OPM Is Taking Steps to Strengthen Its Internal Capacity for Leading Human Capital Reform. GAO-06-861T, June 27, 2006 (32 pages).
- Clinical Lab Quality: CMS and Survey Organization Oversight Should Be Strengthened. GAO-06-416, June 16, 2006 (93 pages).
- Clinical Labs: CMS and Survey Organization Oversight Is Not Sufficient to Ensure Lab Quality. GAO-06-879T, June 27, 2006 (19 pages).
- Human Health Risk Assessment: EPA Has Taken Steps to Strengthen Its Process, but Improvements Needed in Planning, Data Development, and Training. GAO-06-595, May 31, 2006 (75 pages).
- Human Health Risk Assessment: GAO Survey of EPA Risk Assessment Practices. GAO-06-637SP, May 31, 2006 (2 pages).
- Aviation Security: Further Study of Safety and Effectiveness and Better Management Controls Needed If Air Carriers Resume Interest in Deploying Less-than-Lethal Weapons. GAO-06-475, May 26, 2006 (28 pages).
- Aviation Security: Management Challenges Remain for the Transportation Security Administration's Secure Flight Program. GAO-06-864T, June 14, 2006 (22 pages).
- Aviation Security: TSA Has Strengthened Efforts to Plan for the Optimal Deployment of Checked Baggage Screening Systems, but Funding Uncertainties Remain. GAO-06-875T, June 29, 2006 (26 pages).
- Coast Guard: Observations on Agency Performance, Operations and Future Challenges. GAO-06-448T, June 15, 2006 (38 pages).
- Coast Guard: Status of Deepwater Fast Response Cutter Design Efforts. GAO-06-764, June 23, 2006 (29 pages).
- Homeland Security: DHS Is Addressing Security at Chemical Facilities, but Additional Authority Is Needed. GAO-06-899T, June 21, 2006 (21 pages).
- Hurricanes Katrina and Rita: Coordination between FEMA and the Red Cross Should Be Improved for the 2006 Hurricane Season. GAO-06-712, June 8, 2006 (34 pages).
- Immigration Benefits: Circumstances under Which Petitioners' Sex Offenses May Be Disclosed to Beneficiaries. GAO-06-735, June 14, 2006 (21 pages).
- Information on Immigration Enforcement and Supervisory Promotions in the Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection. GAO-06-751R, June 13, 2006 (19 pages).
- Observations on Efforts to Implement the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative on the U.S. Border with Canada. GAO-06-741R, May 25, 2006 (22 pages).
- United States Coast Guard: Improvements Needed in Management and Oversight of Rescue System Acquisition. GAO-06-623, May 31, 2006 (54 pages).
- Federal Housing Administration: Proposed Reforms Will Heighten the Need for Continued Improvements in Managing Risks and Estimating Program Costs. GAO-06-868T, June 20, 2006 (17 pages).
- HUD Homeownership Programs: Data Limitations Constrain Assessment of the American Dream Downpayment Initiative. GAO-06-677, June 30, 2006 (54 pages).
- Social Security Administration: Agency Is Positioning Itself to Implement Its New Disability Determination Process, but Key Facets Are Still in Development. GAO-06-779T, June 15, 2006 (28 pages).
- Commerce Information Technology Solutions Next Generation Governmentwide Acquisition Contract. GAO-06-791R, June 14, 2006 (10 pages).
- Data Quality: Expanded Use of Key Dissemination Practices Would Further Safeguard the Integrity of Federal Statistical Data. GAO-06-607, May 31, 2006 (32 pages).
- Information Security: Leadership Needed to Address Weaknesses and Privacy Issues at Veterans Affairs. GAO-06-897T, June 20, 2006 (34 pages).
- Information Technology: VA and DOD Face Challenges in Completing Key Efforts. GAO-06-905T, June 22, 2006 (28 pages).
- Managing Sensitive Information: Actions Needed to Ensure Recent Changes in DOE Oversight Do Not Weaken an Effective Classification System. GAO-06-785, June 30, 2006 (33 pages).
- Managing Sensitive Information: DOD Can More Effectively Reduce the Risk of Classification Errors. GAO-06-706, June 30, 2006 (42 pages).
- Privacy: Preventing and Responding to Improper Disclosures of Personal Information. GAO-06-833T, June 8, 2006 (23 pages).
- Veterans Affairs: Leadership Needed to Address Information Security Weaknesses and Privacy Issues. GAO-06-866T, June 14, 2006 (34 pages).
- Compacts of Free Association: Development Prospects Remain Limited for Micronesia and Marshall Islands. GAO-06-590, June 27, 2006 (74 pages).
- Cooperative Threat Reduction: DOD Needs More Reliable Data to Better Estimate the Cost and Schedule of the Shchuch'ye Facility. GAO-06-692, May 31, 2006 (38 pages).
- Embassy Construction: State Has Made Progress Constructing New Embassies, but Better Planning Is Needed for Operations and Maintenance Requirements. GAO-06-641, June 30, 2006 (62 pages).
- Olympic Security: Better Planning Can Enhance U.S. Support to Future Olympic Games. GAO-06-753, June 30, 2006 (38 pages).
- President's Justification of the High Performance Computer Control Threshold Does Not Fully Address National Defense Authorization Act of 1998 Requirements. GAO-06-754R, June 30, 2006 (19 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: Actions Still Needed to Improve the Use of Private Security Providers. GAO-06-865T, June 13, 2006 (15 pages).
- Treasury Has Sustained Its Formal Process to Promote U.S. Policies at the International Monetary Fund. GAO-06-876R, June 29, 2006 (20 pages).
- United Nations: Weaknesses in Internal Oversight and Procurement Could Affect the Effective Implementation of the Planned Renovation. GAO-06-877T, June 20, 2006 (18 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- FBI Trilogy: Responses to Posthearing Questions. GAO-06-853R, June 9, 2006 (5 pages).
- Federal Courthouses: Rent Increases Due to New Space and Growing Energy and Security Costs Require Better Tracking and Management. GAO-06-613, June 20, 2006 (104 pages).
- Federal Courthouses: Rent Increases Due to New Space and Growing Energy and Security Costs Require Better Tracking and Management. GAO-06-892T, June 22, 2006 (15 pages).
- International Financial Crime: Treasury's Roles and Responsibilities Relating to Selected Provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act. GAO-06-483, May 12, 2006 (56 pages).
- DOD Personnel Clearances: Questions and Answers for the Record Following the Second in a Series of Hearings on Fixing the Security Clearance Process. GAO-06-693R, June 14, 2006 (4 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Space System Acquisition Risks and Keys to Addressing Them. GAO-06-776R, June 1, 2006 (8 pages).
- Defense Logistics: Lack of a Synchronized Approach between the Marine Corps and Army Affected the Timely Production and Installation of Marine Corps Truck Armor. GAO-06-274, June 22, 2006 (47 pages).
- Defense Management: Actions Needed to Improve Operational Planning and Visibility of Costs for Ballistic Missile Defense. GAO-06-473, May 31, 2006 (48 pages).
- Defense Management: Additional Measures to Reduce Corrosion of Prepositioned Military Assets Could Achieve Cost Savings. GAO-06-709, June 14, 2006 (27 pages).
- Defense Management: Attention Is Needed to Improve Oversight of DLA Prime Vendor Program. GAO-06-739R, June 19, 2006 (14 pages).
- Homeland Defense: National Guard Bureau Needs to Clarify Civil Support Teams' Mission and Address Management Challenges. GAO-06-498, May 31, 2006 (82 pages).
- Improvement Continues in DOD's Reporting on Sustainable Ranges but Additional Time Is Needed to Fully Implement Key Initiatives. GAO-06-725R, June 20, 2006 (18 pages).
- Tactical Aircraft: DOD Should Present a New F-22A Business Case before Making Further Investments. GAO-06-455R, June 20, 2006 (12 pages).
- Invasive Forest Pests: Recent Infestations and Continued Vulnerabilities at Ports of Entry Place U.S. Forests at Risk. GAO-06-871T, June 21, 2006 (13 pages).
- U.S. Tsunami Preparedness: Federal and State Partners Collaborate to Help Communities Reduce Potential Impacts, but Significant Challenges Remain. GAO-06-519, June 5, 2006 (60 pages).
- Wildland Fire Suppression: Better Guidance Needed to Clarify Sharing of Costs between Federal and Nonfederal Entities. GAO-06-896T, June 21, 2006 (15 pages).
- Wildland Fire Suppression: Lack of Clear Guidance Raises Concerns about Cost Sharing between Federal and Nonfederal Entities. GAO-06-570, May 30, 2006 (42 pages).
- Wood Utilization: Federal Research and Product Development Activities, Support, and Technology Transfer. GAO-06-624, June 15, 2006 (118 pages).
- Foster Care and Adoption Assistance: Federal Oversight Needed to Safeguard Funds and Ensure Consistent Support for States' Administrative Costs. GAO-06-649, June 15, 2006 (48 pages).
- Summary of a GAO Conference: Helping California Youths with Disabilities Transition to Work or Postsecondary Education. GAO-06-759SP, June 20, 2006 (23 pages).
- Government Auditing Standards: 2006 Revision (Exposure Draft). GAO-06-729G, June 1, 2006 (198 pages).
- Principles of Federal Appropriations Law: Third Edition, Volume II. GAO-06-382SP, February 1, 2006 (720 pages).
- Principles of Federal Appropriations Law: Annual Update of the Third Edition. GAO-06-534SP, April 1, 2006 (67 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Capital Gains Tax Gap: Requiring Brokers to Report Securities Cost Basis Would Improve Compliance if Related Challenges Are Addressed. GAO-06-603, June 13, 2006 (46 pages).
- Internal Revenue Service: Status of Recommendations from Financial Audits and Related Financial Management Reports. GAO-06-560, June 6, 2006 (90 pages).
- Puerto Rico: Fiscal Relations with the Federal Government and Economic Trends during the Phaseout of the Possessions Tax Credit. GAO-06-541, May 19, 2006 (210 pages).
- Tax Compliance: Challenges to Corporate Tax Enforcement and Options to Improve Securities Basis Reporting. GAO-06-851T, June 13, 2006 (22 pages).
- Air Traffic Control Modernization: Status of the Current Program and Planning for the Next Generation Air Transportation System. GAO-06-653T, June 21, 2006 (30 pages).
- Airline Deregulation: Reregulating the Airline Industry Would Likely Reverse Consumer Benefits and Not Save Airline Pensions. GAO-06-630, June 9, 2006 (44 pages).
- Commercial Aviation: Costs and Major Factors Influencing Infrastructure Changes at U.S. Airports to Accomodate the New A380 Aircraft. GAO-06-571, May 19, 2006 (90 pages).
- Freight Railroads: Preliminary Observations on Rates, Competition, and Capacity Issues. GAO-06-898T, June 21, 2006 (27 pages).
- Intermodal Transportation: Challenges to and Potential Strategies for Developing Improved Intermodal Capabilities. GAO-06-855T, June 15, 2006 (18 pages).
- Mass Transit: Issues Related to Providing Dedicated Funding for the Washington Metropolitain Area Transit Authority. GAO-06-516, May 15, 2006 (73 pages).
- Public Transportation: Preliminary Information on FTA's Implementation of SAFETEA-LU Changes. GAO-06-910T, June 27, 2006 (35 pages).
- VA Health Care: Patient Safety Could be Enhanced by Improvements in Employment Screening and Physician Privileging Practices. GAO-06-760T, June 15, 2006 (19 pages).
- VA Health Care: Selected Credentialing Requirements at Seven Medical Facilities Met, but an Aspect of Privileging Process Needs Improvement. GAO-06-648, May 25, 2006 (34 pages).
- VA Health Care: Steps Taken to Improve Practitioner Screening, but Facility Compliance with Screening Requirements Is Poor. GAO-06-544, May 25, 2006 (35 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- American Floor Consultants, Inc.. B-294530.7, June 15, 2006 (6 pages).
- American Printing House for the Blind, Inc.. B-298011, May 15, 2006 (6 pages).
- BAE Technical Services, Inc.. B-296699, October 5, 2005 (13 pages).
- Bristol Group, Inc.--Union Station Venture. B-298086, B-298086.3, May 30, 2006 (6 pages).
- Bristol Group, Inc.--Union Station Venture. B-298110, June 2, 2006 (4 pages).
- Forest Service--Surface Water Management Fees. B-306666, June 5, 2006 (13 pages).
- GC Services Limited Partnership. B-298102, June 14, 2006 (21 pages).
- Haworth Inc.. B-297053.4, June 7, 2006 (4 pages).
- IPlus, Inc.. B-298020, B-298020.2, June 5, 2006 (16 pages).
- Intercon Associates, Inc.--Costs. B-296697.2, June 14, 2006 (4 pages).
- National Mediation Board--Compensating Neutral Arbitrators Appointed to Grievance Adjustment Boards Under the Railway Labor Act. B-305484, June 2, 2006 (15 pages).
- Paramount Group, Inc.. B-298082, June 15, 2006 (7 pages).
- The Severson Group. B-298195, June 9, 2006 (3 pages).
- Truth in Regulating Act of 2000 (TIRA). B-302705, June 7, 2006 (4 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Agriculture, Farm Service Agency: 2005 Section 32 Hurricane Disaster Programs. GAO-06-796R, June 22, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service: Food Stamp Program: Employment and Training Program Provisions of the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002. GAO-06-882R, June 27, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Conditions for Coverage for Organ Procurement Organizations (OPOs). GAO-06-841R, June 14, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Homeland Security: Transportation Security Administration: Air Cargo Security Requirements. GAO-06-806R, June 8, 2006 (4 pages).
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission: Revision of Fee Schedules; Fee Recovery for FY 2006. GAO-06-836R, June 13, 2006 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: email@example.com with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.