GAO Month in Review January 2006
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Budget and Spending
- Mandatory Spending: Using Budget Triggers to Constrain Growth. GAO-06-276, January 31, 2006 (100 pages).
- Student Consolidation Loans: Potential Effects of Making Fiscal Year 2006 Consolidation Loans Exclusively through the Direct Loan Program. GAO-06-195, December 5, 2005 (42 pages).
- Mine Safety: MSHA's Programs for Ensuring the Safety and Health of Coal Miners Could Be Strengthened. GAO-06-370T, January 23, 2006 (11 pages).
- Service Contract Act: Wage Determination Process Could Benefit from Greater Transparency, and Better Use of Violation Data Could Improve Enforcement. GAO-06-27, December 7, 2005 (52 pages).
- Drinking Water: EPA Should Strengthen Ongoing Efforts to Ensure That Consumers Are Protected from Lead Contamination. GAO-06-148, January 4, 2006 (76 pages).
- Hazardous Waste: EPA Needs to Clarify the Types of Mercury Waste That Can Be Treated and Disposed of Using the Debris Regulations. GAO-06-99, December 16, 2005 (57 pages).
- Federal Emergency Management Agency: Challenges for the National Flood Insurance Program. GAO-06-335T, January 25, 2006 (19 pages).
- Financial Audit: Restatements to the Department of Agriculture's Fiscal Year 2003 Consolidated Financial Statements. GAO-06-254R, January 25, 2006 (19 pages).
- Federal Programs with a Financial Eligibility Component. GAO-06-292R, December 14, 2005 (9 pages).
- Public Service Announcement Campaigns: Activities and Financial Obligations for Seven Federal Departments. GAO-06-304, January 13, 2006 (68 pages).
- Questions for the Record Related to DOD's Personnel Security Clearance Program and the Government Plan for Improving the Clearance Process. GAO-06-323R, January 17, 2006 (5 pages).
- Nursing Homes: Despite Increased Oversight, Challenges Remain in Ensuring High-Quality Care and Resident Safety. GAO-06-117, December 28, 2005 (73 pages).
- Combating Terrorism: Determining and Reporting Federal Funding Data. GAO-06-161, January 17, 2006 (101 pages).
- Homeland Security: Visitor and Immigrant Status Program Operating, but Management Improvements Are Still Needed. GAO-06-318T, January 25, 2006 (31 pages).
- Risk Management: Further Refinements Needed to Assess Risks and Prioritize Protective Measures at Ports and Other Critical Infrastructure. GAO-06-91, December 15, 2005 (124 pages).
- Social Security Numbers: Stronger Protections Needed When Contractors Have Access to SSNs. GAO-06-238, January 23, 2006 (36 pages).
- International Trade: USTR Would Benefit from Greater Use of Strategic Human Capital Management Principles. GAO-06-167, December 6, 2005 (39 pages).
- U.S.-China Trade: Eliminating Nonmarket Economy Methodology Would Lower Antidumping Duties for Some Chinese Companies. GAO-06-231, January 10, 2006 (57 pages).
- DOD Business Transformation: Defense Travel System Continues to Face Implementation Challenges. GAO-06-18, January 18, 2006 (55 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: DOD Management Approach and Processes Not Well-Suited to Support Development of Global Information Grid. GAO-06-211, January 30, 2006 (35 pages).
- Defense Management: Fully Developed Management Framework Needed to Guide Air Force Future Total Force Efforts. GAO-06-232, January 31, 2006 (34 pages).
- Defense Trade Data. GAO-06-319R, January 27, 2006 (10 pages).
- National Parks Air Tour Management Act: More Flexibility and Better Enforcement Needed. GAO-06-263, January 27, 2006 (64 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- NASA: Implementing a Knowledge-Based Acquisition Framework Could Lead to Better Investment Decisions and Project Outcomes. GAO-06-218, December 21, 2005 (32 pages).
- Welfare Reform: More Information Needed to Assess Promising Strategies to Increase Parents' Incomes. GAO-06-108, December 2, 2005 (56 pages).
- GAO Performance and Accountability Highlights: Fiscal Year 2005. GAO-06-2SP, January 1, 2006 (70 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Internet Access Tax Moratorium: Revenue Impacts Will Vary by State. GAO-06-273, January 23, 2006 (50 pages).
- VA Long-Term Care: Trends and Planning Challenges in Providing Nursing Home Care to Veterans. GAO-06-333T, January 9, 2006 (12 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Alion Science & Technology Corporation. B-297022.3, January 9, 2006 (12 pages).
- Alion Science & Technology Corporation. B-297342, January 9, 2006 (14 pages).
- Architect of the Capitol--Payment for Electrical and Security Improvements at the Thurgood Marshall Federal Judiciary Building. B-306284, January 5, 2006 (13 pages).
- Contractors Collecting Fees at Agency-Hosted Conferences. B-306663, January 4, 2006 (3 pages).
- Crane & Company, Inc.. B-297398, January 18, 2006 (10 pages).
- Department of Education--Grant Extensions. B-303845, January 3, 2006 (7 pages).
- EPW Closure Services, LLC; FFTF Restoration Co., LLC. B-294910, B-294910.2, B-294910.3, B-294910.4, B-294910.5, B-294910.6, B-294910.7, January 12, 2005 (18 pages).
- Electronic Hardware Corporation. B-295345, January 28, 2005 (10 pages).
- GAO Bid Protest Annual Report to the Congress for Fiscal Year 2005. GAO-06-339R, January 12, 2006 (2 pages).
- Global, A 1st Flagship Company. B-297235, B-297235.2, December 27, 2005 (10 pages).
- International Outsourcing Services, LLC. B-295959, May 25, 2005 (10 pages).
- JWK International Corporation. B-296969.3, January 5, 2006 (4 pages).
- KIC Development, LLC. B-297425.2, January 26, 2006 (7 pages).
- Kenco Associates, Inc.; Air Product and Chemicals, Inc.. B-297503, B-297503.2, January 25, 2006 (5 pages).
- LENS, JV--Costs. B-295952.4, December 12, 2005 (5 pages).
- Laerdal Medical Corporation. B-297321, B-297321.2, December 23, 2005 (7 pages).
- Language Services Associates, Inc.. B-297392, January 17, 2006 (12 pages).
- Lifecare Management Partners. B-297078, B-297078.2, November 21, 2005 (11 pages).
- NANA Services, LLC. B-297177.3, B-297177.4, January 3, 2006 (12 pages).
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration--Retention of Demutualization Compensation. B-305402, January 3, 2006 (5 pages).
- Poly-Pacific Technologies Inc.. B-295496.3, January 18, 2006 (4 pages).
- Prudent Technologies, Inc.. B-297425, January 5, 2006 (6 pages).
- SERAPH Inc.. B-297452, January 12, 2006 (4 pages).
- STR, L.L.C.. B-297421, December 22, 2005 (5 pages).
- Space-Lok, Inc.. B-297516, January 25, 2006 (5 pages).
- Spectrum Security Services, Inc.. B-297320.2, B-297320.3, January 3, 2006 (7 pages).
- Systems Plus, Inc.. B-297215, B-297215.2, B-297215.3, B-297215.4, December 16, 2005 (5 pages).
- Sytronics, Inc.. B-297346, December 29, 2005 (10 pages).
- United States Capitol Police--Employee Shuttle. B-305864, January 5, 2006 (4 pages).
- Wiltex Inc.. B-297234.2, B-297234.3, December 27, 2005 (5 pages).
- Wyse Technology, Inc.. B-297454, January 24, 2006 (8 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Veterans Affairs: Traumatic Injury Protection Rider to Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance. GAO-06-345R, January 18, 2006 (4 pages).
- Environmental Protection Agency: National Primary Drinking Water Regulations: Long Term 2 Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule. GAO-06-354R, January 19, 2006 (4 pages).
- Environmental Protection Agency: National Primary Drinking Water Regulations: Stage 2 Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts Rule. GAO-06-350R, January 13, 2006 (4 pages).
- Federal Communications Commission: Air-Ground Telecommunications Services. GAO-06-340R, January 10, 2006 (4 pages).
- Social Security Administration: Medicare Part D Subsidies. GAO-06-344R, January 13, 2006 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.