GAO Month in Review February 2006
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Budget and Spending
- 21st Century: Addressing Long-Term Fiscal Challenges Must Include a Re-examination of Mandatory Spending. GAO-06-456T, February 15, 2006 (16 pages).
- Employee Compensation: Employer Spending on Benefits Has Grown Faster Than Wages, Due Largely to Rising Costs for Health Insurance and Retirement Benefits. GAO-06-285, February 24, 2006 (55 pages).
- GAO Survey of Dislocated Workers. GAO-06-44SP, January 31, 2006 (2 pages).
- Social Security Numbers: Coordinated Approach to SSN Data Could Help Reduce Unauthorized Work. GAO-06-458T, February 16, 2006 (12 pages).
- Trade Adjustment Assistance: Most Workers in Five Layoffs Received Services, but Better Outreach Needed on New Benefits. GAO-06-43, January 31, 2006 (88 pages).
- Energy Markets: Factors Contributing to Higher Gasoline Prices. GAO-06-412T, February 1, 2006 (9 pages).
- Natural Gas: Factors Affecting Prices and Potential Impacts on Consumers. GAO-06-420T, February 13, 2006 (24 pages).
- Expedited Assistance for Victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita: FEMA's Control Weaknesses Exposed the Government to Significant Fraud and Abuse. GAO-06-403T, February 13, 2006 (25 pages).
- Investigation: Military Meals, Ready-To-Eat Sold on eBay. GAO-06-410R, February 13, 2006 (7 pages).
- Architect of the Capitol: Management Challenges Remain. GAO-06-290, February 21, 2006 (48 pages).
- Capitol Visitor Center: Results of Risk-based Analysis of Schedule and Cost. GAO-06-440T, February 15, 2006 (14 pages).
- Federal Real Property: Excess and Underutilized Property Is an Ongoing Problem. GAO-06-248T, February 6, 2006 (13 pages).
- GAO's International Protocols. GAO-06-394SP, January 31, 2006 (22 pages).
- Media Contracts: Activities and Financial Obligations for Seven Federal Departments. GAO-06-305, January 13, 2006 (154 pages).
- Securities and Exchange Commission: Some Progress Made on Strategic Human Capital Management. GAO-06-86, January 10, 2006 (38 pages).
- Disaster Preparedness: Preliminary Observations on the Evacuation of Hospitals and Nursing Homes Due to Hurricanes. GAO-06-443R, February 16, 2006 (22 pages).
- Federal Employees Health Benefits Program: First-Year Experience with High-Deductible Health Plans and Health Savings Accounts. GAO-06-271, January 31, 2006 (23 pages).
- HIV/AIDS: Changes Needed to Improve the Distribution of Ryan White CARE Act and Housing Funds. GAO-06-332, February 28, 2006 (127 pages).
- Hospital Quality Data: CMS Needs More Rigorous Methods to Ensure Reliability of Publicly Released Data. GAO-06-54, January 31, 2006 (58 pages).
- Medicare: Sponsors' Management of the Prescription Drug Discount Card and Transitional Assistance Benefit. GAO-06-299R, January 13, 2006 (21 pages).
- September 11: Monitoring of World Trade Center Health Effects Has Progressed, but Program for Federal Responders Lags Behind. GAO-06-481T, February 28, 2006 (30 pages).
- Aviation Security: Significant Management Challenges May Adversely Affect Implementation of the Transportation Security Administration's Secure Flight Program. GAO-06-374T, February 9, 2006 (45 pages).
- Border Security: Key Unresolved Issues Justify Reevaluation of Border Surveillance Technology Program. GAO-06-295, February 22, 2006 (52 pages).
- Emergency Preparedness and Response: Some Issues and Challenges Associated with Major Emergency Incidents. GAO-06-467T, February 23, 2006 (19 pages).
- Homeland Security: DHS Is Taking Steps to Enhance Security at Chemical Facilities, but Additional Authority Is Needed. GAO-06-150, January 27, 2006 (81 pages).
- Homeland Security: Recommendations to Improve Management of Key Border Security Program Need to Be Implemented. GAO-06-296, February 14, 2006 (83 pages).
- Statement by Comptroller General David M. Walker on GAO's Preliminary Observations Regarding Preparedness and Response to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. GAO-06-365R, February 1, 2006 (9 pages).
- Public Housing: Information on the Roles of HUD, Public Housing Agencies, Capital Markets, and Service Organizations. GAO-06-419T, February 15, 2006 (16 pages).
- Business Systems Modernization: Internal Revenue Service's Fiscal Year 2006 Expenditure Plan. GAO-06-360, February 21, 2006 (40 pages).
- Information Technology: Agencies Need to Improve the Accuracy and Reliability of Investment Information. GAO-06-250, January 12, 2006 (50 pages).
- Analysis of Future Millennium Challenge Corporation Obligations. GAO-06-466R, February 21, 2006 (5 pages).
- Peacekeeping: Cost Comparison of Actual UN and Hypothetical U.S. Operations in Haiti. GAO-06-331, February 21, 2006 (27 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: Stabilization, Reconstruction, and Financing Challenges. GAO-06-428T, February 8, 2006 (20 pages).
- Nuclear Weapons: NNSA Needs to Refine and More Effectively Manage Its New Approach for Assessing and Certifying Nuclear Weapons. GAO-06-261, February 3, 2006 (51 pages).
- Fisheries Management: Core Principles and a Strategic Approach Would Enhance Stakeholder Participation in Developing Quota-Based Programs. GAO-06-289, February 23, 2006 (50 pages).
- National Park Service: Opportunities Exist to Clarify and Strengthen Special Uses Permit Guidance on Setting Grazing Fees and Cost-Recovery. GAO-06-355R, February 9, 2006 (10 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- Telecommunications: Challenges to Assessing and Improving Telecommunications For Native Americans on Tribal Lands. GAO-06-189, January 11, 2006 (82 pages).
- Breastfeeding: Some Strategies Used to Market Infant Formula May Discourage Breastfeeding; State Contracts Should Better Protect Against Misuse of WIC Name. GAO-06-282, February 8, 2006 (40 pages).
- Community Services Block Grant Program: HHS Needs to Improve Monitoring of State Grantees. GAO-06-373R, February 7, 2006 (3 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Tax Gap: Making Significant Progress in Improving Tax Compliance Rests on Enhancing Current IRS Techniques and Adopting New Legislative Actions. GAO-06-453T, February 15, 2006 (21 pages).
- VA Health Care: Preliminary Findings on the Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Budget Formulation for Fiscal Years 2005 and 2006. GAO-06-430R, February 6, 2006 (34 pages).
- Veterans Affairs: Limited Support for Reported Health Care Management Efficiency Savings. GAO-06-359R, February 1, 2006 (20 pages).
- Veterans' Employment and Training Service: Greater Accountability and Other Labor Actions Needed to Better Serve Veterans. GAO-06-357T, February 2, 2006 (12 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Alan D. King. B-295529.6, February 21, 2006 (7 pages).
- American Material Handling, Inc.. B-297536, January 30, 2006 (5 pages).
- Computer Cite. B-297291, B-297291.2, December 23, 2005 (6 pages).
- Computers Universal, Inc.. B-297552, February 14, 2006 (6 pages).
- DOR Biodefense, Inc.; Emergent BioSolutions. B-296358.3, B-296358.4, January 31, 2006 (13 pages).
- Delphinus Engineering, Inc.. B-296902, B-296902.2, September 20, 2005 (8 pages).
- Draughn & Associates. B-297702, B-297702.2, February 15, 2006 (2 pages).
- Environmental Protection Agency--Reconsideration. B-297077.3, January 25, 2006 (4 pages).
- Greater Pacific Aquatics. B-297654, February 2, 2006 (2 pages).
- Greenleaf Construction Company, Inc.. B-293105.18, B-293105.19, January 17, 2006 (15 pages).
- Help America Vote Act of 2002: Audits and Recovery of Funds. B-306475, January 30, 2006 (6 pages).
- Information Ventures, Inc.. B-297815.2, February 13, 2006 (2 pages).
- M.D. Thompson Consulting, LLC; PMTech, Inc.. B-297616, B-297616.2, February 14, 2006 (7 pages).
- MMI-Federal Marketing Service Corp.. B-297537, February 8, 2006 (10 pages).
- Meggitt Safety Systems, Inc.. B-297378, B-297378.2, January 12, 2006 (7 pages).
- NVT Technologies, Inc.. B-297524, B-297524.2, February 2, 2006 (7 pages).
- New England Radiation Therapy Management Services, Inc.--Costs. B-297397.3, February 2, 2006 (4 pages).
- Puglia Engineering of California, Inc.. B-297413, B-297413.2, B-297413.3, January 20, 2006 (9 pages).
- Remington Arms Company, Inc.. B-297374, B-297374.2, January 12, 2006 (16 pages).
- SAP Public Services, Inc.. B-297535.2, B-297535.3, B-297535.4, February 10, 2006 (13 pages).
- The MIL Corporation. B-297508, B-297508.2, January 26, 2006 (14 pages).
- TruLogic, Inc.. B-297252.3, January 30, 2006 (13 pages).
- Ystueta Inc.. B-296628.4, February 27, 2006 (3 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Federal Communications Commission: Implementation of the Commercial Spectrum Enhancement Act and Modernization of the Commission's Competitive Bidding Rules and Procedures. GAO-06-441R, February 16, 2006 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.