GAO Month in Review December 2006
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Budget and Spending
- Understanding Similarities and Differences Between Accrual and Cash Deficits. GAO-07-117SP, December 1, 2006 (42 pages).
- Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Disaster Relief: Continued Findings of Fraud, Waste, and Abuse. GAO-07-252T, December 6, 2006 (23 pages).
- National Flood Insurance Program: New Processes Aided Hurricane Katrina Claims Handling, but FEMA's Oversight Should Be Improved. GAO-07-169, December 15, 2006 (61 pages).
- No Child Left Behind Act: Education's Data Improvement Efforts Could Strengthen the Basis for Distributing Title III Funds. GAO-07-140, December 7, 2006 (51 pages).
- Postsecondary Education: Multiple Tax Preferences and Title IV Student Aid Programs Create a Complex Education Financing Environment. GAO-07-262T, December 5, 2006 (37 pages).
- Workforce Investment Act: Employers Found One-Stop Centers Useful in Hiring Low-Skilled Workers; Performance Information Could Help Gauge Employer Involvement. GAO-07-167, December 22, 2006 (28 pages).
- Energy Employees Compensation: GAO's Prior Work Has Identified Needed Improvements in Various Aspects of the Program. GAO-07-233T, December 5, 2006 (12 pages).
- International Energy: International Forums Contribute to Energy Cooperation within Constraints. GAO-07-170, December 19, 2006 (70 pages).
- USDA Conservation Programs: Stakeholder Views on Participation and Coordination to Benefit Threatened and Endangered Species and Their Habitats. GAO-07-35, November 15, 2006 (64 pages).
- Bank Secrecy Act: FinCEN and IRS Need to Improve and Better Coordinate Compliance and Data Management Efforts. GAO-07-212, December 15, 2006 (53 pages).
- Corporate Governance: NCUA's Controls and Related Procedures for Board Independence and Objectivity Are Similar to Other Financial Regulators, but Opportunities Exist to Enhance Its Governance Structure. GAO-07-72R, November 30, 2006 (22 pages).
- Credit Unions: Greater Transparency Needed on Who Credit Unions Serve and on Senior Executive Compensation Arrangements. GAO-07-29, November 30, 2006 (103 pages).
- Improper Payments: Incomplete Reporting under the Improper Payments Information Act Masks the Extent of the Problem. GAO-07-254T, December 5, 2006 (30 pages).
- U.S. Insular Areas: Economic, Fiscal, and Financial Accountability Challenges. GAO-07-119, December 12, 2006 (83 pages).
- 2006 Report on GAO's Use of Provisions in the GAO Personnel Flexibilities Act of 2000 and the GAO Human Capital Reform Act of 2004. GAO-07-289SP, December 1, 2006 (4 pages).
- Federal Information Collection: A Reexamination of the Portfolio of Major Federal Household Surveys Is Needed. GAO-07-62, November 15, 2006 (46 pages).
- Financial Literacy and Education Commission: Further Progress Needed to Ensure an Effective National Strategy. GAO-07-100, December 4, 2006 (48 pages).
- GSA Fleet: Information on the Effect of Donating Cars to YouthBuild USA and Potential Benefits to Rural Youthbuild Participants. GAO-07-153, December 8, 2006 (41 pages).
- Information Technology: Status and Challenges of Employee Exchange Program. GAO-07-216, December 15, 2006 (14 pages).
- Smithsonian Institution: Additional Information Should Be Developed and Provided to Filmmakers on the Impact of the Showtime Contract. GAO-07-275, December 15, 2006 (50 pages).
- End-Stage Renal Disease: Bundling Medicare's Payment for Drugs with Payment for All ESRD Services Would Promote Efficiency and Clinical Flexibility. GAO-07-77, November 13, 2006 (35 pages).
- End-Stage Renal Disease: Medicare Payments for All ESRD Services, Including Injectable Drugs, Should Be Bundled. GAO-07-266T, December 6, 2006 (5 pages).
- Long-Term Care Insurance: Federal Program Has a Unique Profit Structure and Faced a Significant Marketing Challenge. GAO-07-202, December 29, 2006 (29 pages).
- New Drug Development: Science, Business, Regulatory, and Intellectual Property Issues Cited as Hampering Drug Development Efforts. GAO-07-49, November 17, 2006 (47 pages).
- Prescription Drugs: Improvements Needed in FDA's Oversight of Direct-to-Consumer Advertising. GAO-07-54, November 16, 2006 (47 pages).
- Border Security: US-VISIT Program Faces Strategic, Operational, and Technological Challenges at Land Ports of Entry. GAO-07-248, December 6, 2006 (93 pages).
- Homeland Security First Responder Grants: Cash Management Improvement Act Exemption and Cash Advance Funding Require Additional DHS Oversight. GAO-07-68, December 22, 2006 (25 pages).
- Homeland Security: Agriculture Specialists' Views of Their Work Experiences After Transfer to DHS. GAO-07-209R, November 14, 2006 (28 pages).
- Transportation-Disadvantaged Populations: Actions Needed to Clarify Responsibilities and Increase Preparedness for Evacuations. GAO-07-44, December 22, 2006 (66 pages).
- Information Technology: DOD Needs to Ensure That Navy Marine Corps Intranet Program Is Meeting Goals and Satisfying Customers. GAO-07-51, December 8, 2006 (107 pages).
- Compacts of Free Association: Micronesia and the Marshall Islands Face Challenges in Planning for Sustainability, Measuring Progress, and Ensuring Accountability. GAO-07-163, December 15, 2006 (123 pages).
- Darfur Crisis: Death Estimates Demonstrates Severity of Crisis, but Their Accuracy and Credibility Could Be Enhanced. GAO-07-24, November 9, 2006 (71 pages).
- Darfur Crisis: Progress in Aid and Peace Monitoring Threatened by Ongoing Violence and Operational Challenges. GAO-07-9, November 9, 2006 (96 pages).
- Export Controls: Agencies Should Assess Vulnerabilities and Improve Guidance for Protecting Export-Controlled Information at Companies. GAO-07-69, December 5, 2006 (34 pages).
- Export Controls: Agencies Should Assess Vulnerabilities and Improve Guidance for Protecting Export-Controlled Information at Universities. GAO-07-70, December 5, 2006 (30 pages).
- Export Controls: Challenges Exist in Enforcement of an Inherently Complex System. GAO-07-265, December 20, 2006 (46 pages).
- Intellectual Property: Strategy for Targeting Organized Piracy (STOP) Requires Changes for Long-Term Success. GAO-07-74, November 8, 2006 (51 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq--Status of DOD's Reconstruction Program. GAO-07-30R, December 15, 2006 (12 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Federal Law Enforcement: Survey of Federal Civilian Law Enforcement Functions and Authorities. GAO-07-121, December 19, 2006 (52 pages).
- Federal Law Enforcement: Results of Surveys of Federal Civilian Law Enforcement Components. GAO-07-223SP, December 19, 2006 (1 page).
- Defense Contracting: Questions for the Record. GAO-07-217R, December 21, 2006 (18 pages).
- Defense Health Care: Access to Care for Beneficiaries Who Have Not Enrolled in TRICARE's Managed Care Option. GAO-07-48, December 22, 2006 (65 pages).
- Defense Infrastructure: Continuing Challenges in Managing DOD Lodging Programs as Army Moves to Privatize Its Program. GAO-07-164, December 15, 2006 (36 pages).
- Military Operations: High-Level DOD Action Needed to Address Long-standing Problems with Management and Oversight of Contractors Supporting Deployed Forces. GAO-07-145, December 18, 2006 (53 pages).
- Response to a Posthearing Question Related to GAO's November 16, 2006 Testimony on the Defense Travel System. GAO-07-287R, December 19, 2006 (3 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- NASA's System for Tracking Foreign Contracts and Subcontracts. GAO-07-142R, November 9, 2006 (5 pages).
- Head Start: Additional Information on Implementation of Transportation Regulations. GAO-07-194R, November 17, 2006 (4 pages).
- Intercity Passenger Rail: National Policy and Strategies Needed to Maximize Public Benefits from Federal Expenditures. GAO-07-15, November 13, 2006 (184 pages).
- Next Generation Air Transportation System: Progress and Challenges Associated with the Transformation of the National Airspace System. GAO-07-25, November 13, 2006 (56 pages).
- VA Health Care: Spending for Mental Health Strategic Plan Initiatives Was Substantially Less Than Planned. GAO-07-66, November 21, 2006 (34 pages).
- Veterans' Disability Benefits: VA Can Improve Its Procedures for Obtaining Military Service Records. GAO-07-98, December 12, 2006 (32 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- 2B Brokers et al.. B-298651, November 27, 2006 (17 pages).
- ALATEC Inc.. B-298730, December 8, 2006 (7 pages).
- Exploration Partners, LLC. B-298804, December 19, 2006 (6 pages).
- Gemmo-CCC. B-297447.2, July 13, 2006 (5 pages).
- General Injectables & Vaccines, Inc.. B--298590, B-298590.2, B-298590.3, November 15, 2006 (7 pages).
- Global Solutions Network, Inc.. B-298682, November 27, 2006 (5 pages).
- Hamilton Sundstrand Power Systems. B-298757, December 8, 2006 (8 pages).
- Hernandez Consulting LLC. B-298810.2, December 21, 2006 (5 pages).
- HoveCo. B-298697, November 14, 2006 (5 pages).
- John Blood. B-298841, B-298841.2, December 21, 2006 (4 pages).
- Leader Communications Inc.. B-298734, B-298734.2, December 7, 2006 (9 pages).
- Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company. B-298626, November 21, 2006 (11 pages).
- Logan, LLC. B-294974.6, December 1, 2006 (7 pages).
- Maden Technologies. B-298543.2, October 30, 2006 (11 pages).
- Management Solutions, L.C. d/b/a/ EssTech Engineering. B-298883, B-298883.2, December 13, 2006 (3 pages).
- Overlook Systems Technologies, Inc.. B-298099.4, B-298099.5, November 28, 2006 (21 pages).
- Overlook Systems Technologies, Inc.--Costs. B-298099.3, October 5, 2006 (9 pages).
- Philadelphia Produce Market Wholesalers, LLC. B-298751, December 8, 2006 (7 pages).
- R&D Dynamics Corporation. B-298766, December 11, 2006 (7 pages).
- Relm Wireless Corporation. B-298715, December 4, 2006 (4 pages).
- STG, Inc.. B-298543, B-298543.3, October 30, 2006 (12 pages).
- Spacesaver Storage Systems, Inc.. B-298881, December 11, 2006 (3 pages).
- Squires Timber Company. B-298859, December 1, 2006 (3 pages).
- Tessa Structures, LLC. B-298835, December 14, 2006 (6 pages).
- World Wide Technology, Inc.. B-298888, December 1, 2006 (7 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System and CY 2007 Payment Rates; CY 2007 Update to the Ambulatory Surgical Center Covered Procedures List; Medicare Administrative Contractors; and Reporting Hospital Quality Data for FY 2008 Inpatient Prospective Payment System Annual Payment Update Program--HCAHPS Survey, SCIP, and Mortality. GAO-07-249R, December 6, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Revisions to Payment Policies, Five-Year Review of Work Relative Value Units, Changes to the Practice Expense Methodology Under the Physician Fee Schedule, and Other Changes to Payment Under Part B; Revisions to the Payment Policies of Ambulance Services Under the Fee Schedule for Ambulance Services; and Ambulance Inflation Factor Update for CY 2007. GAO-07-271R, December 12, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Homeland Security and Department of State: Documents Required for Travelers Departing From or Arriving in the United States at Air Ports-of-Entry From Within the Western Hemisphere. GAO-07-250R, December 6, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Labor, Mine Safety and Health Administration: Emergency Mine Evacuation. GAO-07-288R, December 21, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of the Treasury, Department of Labor, and Department of Health and Human Services: Nondiscrimination and Wellness Program in Health Coverage in the Group Market. GAO-07-302R, December 29, 2006 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.