GAO Month in Review August 2006
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
- Community Development Block Grants: Program Offers Recipients Flexibility but Oversight Can Be Improved. GAO-06-732, July 28, 2006 (67 pages).
- Head Start: Progress and Challenges in Implementing Transportation Regulations. GAO-06-767R, July 27, 2006 (72 pages).
- No Child Left Behind Act: Education Actions Needed to Improve Local Implementation and State Evaluation of Supplemental Educational Services. GAO-06-758, August 4, 2006 (65 pages).
- Employment Arrangements: Improved Outreach Could Help Ensure Proper Worker Classification. GAO-06-656, July 11, 2006 (60 pages).
- DOE Contracting: Better Performance Measures and Management Needed to Address Delays in Awarding Contracts. GAO-06-722, June 30, 2006 (39 pages).
- Gas Pipeline Safety: Views on Proposed Legislation to Reauthorize Pipeline Safety Provisions. GAO-06-1027T, August 4, 2006 (17 pages).
- Chemical Regulation: Actions are Needed to Improve the Effectiveness of EPA's Chemical Review Program. GAO-06-1032T, August 2, 2006 (14 pages).
- Financial Restatements: Update of Public Company Trends, Market Impacts, and Regulatory Enforcement Activities. GAO-06-678, July 24, 2006 (190 pages).
- Department of Defense: Sustained Leadership Is Critical to Effective Financial and Business Management Transformation. GAO-06-1006T, August 3, 2006 (25 pages).
- Capitol Visitor Center: Update on Status of Project's Schedule and Cost As of August 2, 2006. GAO-06-828T, August 2, 2006 (24 pages).
- Federal Autism Activities: Funding for Research Has Increased, but Agencies Need to Resolve Surveillance Challenges. GAO-06-700, July 19, 2006 (45 pages).
- Mammography: Current Nationwide Capacity Is Adequate, but Access Problems May Exist in Certain Locations. GAO-06-724, July 25, 2006 (56 pages).
- Border Security: Continued Weaknesses in Screening Entrants into the United States. GAO-06-976T, August 2, 2006 (8 pages).
- Coast Guard: Observations on the Preparation, Response, and Recovery Missions Related to Hurricane Katrina. GAO-06-903, July 31, 2006 (44 pages).
- WIC Program: More Detailed Price and Quantity Data Could Enhance Agriculture's Assessment of WIC Program Expenditures. GAO-06-664, July 28, 2006 (68 pages).
- Electronic Records Archives: The National Archives and Records Administration's Fiscal Year 2006 Expenditure Plan. GAO-06-906, August 18, 2006 (36 pages).
- Information Security: Federal Reserve Needs to Address Treasury Auction Systems. GAO-06-659, August 30, 2006 (21 pages).
- Department of State: Staffing and Foreign Language Shortfalls Persist Despite Initiatives to Address Gaps. GAO-06-894, August 4, 2006 (61 pages).
- Security Assistance: Lapses in Human Rights Screening in North African Countries Indicate Need for Further Oversight. GAO-06-850, July 31, 2006 (37 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Human Trafficking: Better Data, Strategy, and Reporting Needed to Enhance U.S. Antitrafficking Efforts Abroad. GAO-06-825, July 18, 2006 (64 pages).
- National Sex Offender Registry: New Hire Data Has Potential for Updating Addresses of Convicted Sex Offenders. GAO-06-766, July 31, 2006 (39 pages).
- ONDCP Media Campaign: Contractor's National Evaluation Did Not Find that the Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign Was Effective in Reducing Youth Drug Use. GAO-06-818, August 25, 2006 (72 pages).
- DOD's Overseas Infrastructure Master Plans Continue to Evolve. GAO-06-913R, August 22, 2006 (27 pages).
- Military Pay: DOD Improperly Paid Army National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers in Deserter Status. GAO-06-848R, July 28, 2006 (18 pages).
- Military Recruiting: DOD and Services Need Better Data to Enhance Visibility over Recruiter Irregularities. GAO-06-846, August 8, 2006 (48 pages).
- Military Training: Management Actions Needed to Enhance DOD's Investment in the Joint National Training Capability. GAO-06-802, August 11, 2006 (43 pages).
- Special Operations Forces: Several Human Capital Challenges Must Be Addressed to Meet Expanded Role. GAO-06-812, July 31, 2006 (49 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Individual Income Tax Policy: Streamlining, Simplification, and Additional Reforms Are Desirable. GAO-06-1028T, August 3, 2006 (25 pages).
- Tax-Exempt Organizations: Collecting More Data on Donor-Advised Funds and Supporting Organizations Could Help Address Compliance Challenges. GAO-06-799, July 27, 2006 (61 pages).
- Unemployment Insurance: States' Tax Financing Systems Allow Costs to Be Shared among Industries. GAO-06-769, July 26, 2006 (42 pages).
- Active Commuter Rail Agency Service Contracts. GAO-06-820R, July 10, 2006 (11 pages).
- Public Transportation: New Starts Program Is in a Period of Transition. GAO-06-819, August 30, 2006 (42 pages).
- Transportation Research: Opportunities for Improving the Oversight of DOT's Research Programs and User Satisfaction with Transportation Statistics. GAO-06-917, August 15, 2006 (52 pages).
- Transportation Security Administration's Office of Intelligence: Responses to Posthearing Questions Regarding Secure Flight. GAO-06-1051R, August 4, 2006 (10 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Air Products Health Care. B-298293, B-298293.2, August 11, 2006 (8 pages).
- Alfa Consult S.A.. B-298164.2, B-298288, August 3, 2006 (4 pages).
- BAE Technical Services, Inc.--Costs. B-296699.3, August 11, 2006 (8 pages).
- Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.. B-298522, August 11, 2006 (5 pages).
- Brian X. Scott. B-298370, B-298490, August 18, 2006 (9 pages).
- Glen/Mar Construction, Inc.. B-298355, August 3, 2006 (3 pages).
- Lakota Technical Solutions, Inc.. B-298297, August 4, 2006 (6 pages).
- MadahCom, Inc.. B-298277, August 7, 2006 (17 pages).
- Morgan-Keller, Inc.. B-298076.2, August 1, 2006 (4 pages).
- PAI Corporation. B-298349, August 18, 2006 (9 pages).
- Serco, Inc.. B-298266, August 9, 2006 (10 pages).
- Skyline ULTD, Inc.. B-297800.3, August 22, 2006 (4 pages).
- Status of Funds Proposed for Cancellation in the President's Fiscal Year 2007 Budget. B-308011, August 4, 2006 (19 pages).
- Triple H Services. B-298248, B-298248.2, August 1, 2006 (3 pages).
- Waltron LLC--Costs. B-298232.2, August 18, 2006 (4 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Education: Federal Student Aid Programs. GAO-06-1063R, August 31, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Prospective Payment System and Consolidated Billing for Skilled Nursing Facilities--Update--Notice. GAO-06-1044R, August 14, 2006 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.