GAO Month in Review October 2005
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Agriculture and Food
- Crop Insurance: Actions Needed to Reduce Program's Vulnerability to Fraud, Waste, and Abuse. GAO-05-528, September 30, 2005 (91 pages).
- Livestock Grazing: Federal Expenditures and Receipts Vary, Depending on the Agency and the Purpose of the Fee Charged. GAO-05-869, September 30, 2005 (110 pages).
Budget and Spending
- Performance Budgeting: PART Focuses Attention on Program Performance, but More Can Be Done to Engage Congress. GAO-06-28, October 28, 2005 (71 pages).
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission: Building Project Management and Related Budget Planning. GAO-06-61R, October 20, 2005 (24 pages).
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission: Actions Taken, but Agency Restructuring Efforts Could Benefit from a More Systematic Consideration of Advisory Panel's Recommendations. GAO-06-10, October 28, 2005 (47 pages).
- Economic Development Administration: Remediation Activities Account for a Small Percentage of Total Brownfield Grant Funding. GAO-06-7, October 27, 2005 (45 pages).
- Federal Emergency Management Agency: Challenges Facing the National Flood Insurance Program. GAO-06-174T, October 18, 2005 (14 pages).
- Federal Emergency Management Agency: Improvements Needed to Enhance Oversight and Management of the National Flood Insurance Program. GAO-06-119, October 18, 2005 (47 pages).
- Federal Emergency Management Agency: Oversight and Management of the National Flood Insurance Program. GAO-06-183T, October 20, 2005 (18 pages).
- Education's Data Management Initiative: Significant Progress Made, but Better Planning Needed to Accomplish Project Goals. GAO-06-6, October 28, 2005 (32 pages).
- Federal Student Loans: Challenges in Estimating Federal Subsidy Costs. GAO-05-874, September 29, 2005 (42 pages).
- Higher Education: Federal Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Programs and Related Trends. GAO-06-114, October 12, 2005 (103 pages).
- National Assessment of Educational Progress Exclusion Rates for Students with Disabilities. GAO-06-194R, October 28, 2005 (2 pages).
- Transfer Students: Postsecondary Institutions Could Promote More Consistent Consideration of Coursework by Not Basing Determinations on Accreditation. GAO-06-22, October 18, 2005 (36 pages).
- Department of Energy: Additional Opportunities Exist for Reducing Laboratory Contractors' Support Costs. GAO-05-897, September 9, 2005 (33 pages).
- Department of Energy: Improved Guidance, Oversight, and Planning Are Needed to Better Identify Cost-Saving Alternatives for Managing Low-Level Radioactive Waste. GAO-06-94, October 31, 2005 (29 pages).
- Securing U.S. Nuclear Materials: Poor Planning Has Complicated DOE's Plutonium Consolidation Efforts. GAO-06-164T, October 7, 2005 (11 pages).
- Environmental Cleanup: Transfer of Contaminated Federal Property and Recovery of Cleanup Costs. GAO-05-1011R, September 16, 2005 (9 pages).
- Indian Tribes: EPA Should Reduce the Review Time for Tribal Requests to Manage Environmental Programs. GAO-06-95, October 31, 2005 (39 pages).
- Waters and Wetlands: Corps of Engineers Needs to Better Support Its Decisions for Not Asserting Jurisdiction. GAO-05-870, September 9, 2005 (57 pages).
- Wetlands Protection: Corps of Engineers Does Not Have an Effective Oversight Approach to Ensure That Compensatory Mitigation Is Occurring. GAO-05-898, September 8, 2005 (42 pages).
- SEC and CFTC Penalties: Continued Progress Made in Collection Efforts, but Greater SEC Management Attention Is Needed. GAO-05-670, August 31, 2005 (47 pages).
- American Battle Monuments Commission: New Approach to Forecasting Exchange Rates for its Foreign Currency Fluctuation Account. GAO-06-50R, October 20, 2005 (10 pages).
- Business Modernization: Some Progress Made toward Implementing GAO Recommendations Related to NASA's Integrated Financial Management Program. GAO-05-799R, September 9, 2005 (81 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the National Women's Relief Corps, Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic, Incorporated, for Fiscal Years 2003 and 2002. GAO-06-158R, October 7, 2005 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Navy Club of the United States of America for Fiscal Year 2003. GAO-06-37R, October 7, 2005 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association for Fiscal Year 2003. GAO-06-39R, October 7, 2005 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Reports for the National Music Council for Fiscal Years 1993-2001. GAO-06-159R, October 7, 2005 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Reports for the Non Commissioned Officers Association of the United States of America, Inc., for Fiscal Years 2000-2003. GAO-06-38R, October 7, 2005 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Reports for the Reserve Officers Association of the United States for Fiscal Years 2004 and 2003. GAO-06-40R, October 7, 2005 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Reports for the United States Olympic Committee for Fiscal Years 2001-2003. GAO-06-41R, October 7, 2005 (2 pages).
- Financial Audit: Restatements to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's Fiscal Year 2003 Financial Statements. GAO-06-30R, October 27, 2005 (19 pages).
- Understanding the Primary Components of the Annual Financial Report of the United States Government. GAO-05-958SP, October 1, 2005 (28 pages).
- Capitol Visitor Center: Status of Schedule, Fire Protection, Cost, and Related Issues. GAO-06-180T, October 18, 2005 (14 pages).
- District of Columbia: Financial and Program Management Improvements Needed for Tuition Assistance Grant Program. GAO-06-14, October 28, 2005 (41 pages).
- Elections: Federal Efforts to Improve Security and Reliability of Electronic Voting Systems Are Under Way, but Key Activities Need to Be Completed. GAO-05-956, September 21, 2005 (101 pages).
- Elections: Views of Selected Local Election Officials on Managing Voter Registration and Ensuring Eligible Citizens Can Vote. GAO-05-997, September 27, 2005 (114 pages).
- Electronic Rulemaking: Progress Made in Developing Centralized E-Rulemaking System. GAO-05-777, September 9, 2005 (28 pages).
- Federal Real Property: Reliance on Costly Leasing to Meet New Space Needs Is an Ongoing Problem. GAO-06-136T, October 6, 2005 (9 pages).
- Human Capital: Preliminary Observations on the Administration's Draft Proposed "Working for America Act". GAO-06-142T, October 5, 2005 (19 pages).
- Program Evaluation: OMB's PART Reviews Increased Agencies' Attention to Improving Evidence of Program Results. GAO-06-67, October 28, 2005 (39 pages).
- Results-Oriented Government: Practices That Can Help Enhance and Sustain Collaboration among Federal Agencies. GAO-06-15, October 21, 2005 (38 pages).
- Medicaid: Transfers of Assets by Elderly Individuals to Obtain Long-Term Care Coverage. GAO-05-968, September 2, 2005 (46 pages).
- Medicare: Comments on CMS Proposed 2006 Rates for Specified Covered Outpatient Drugs and Radiopharmaceuticals Used in Hospitals. GAO-06-17R, October 31, 2005 (19 pages).
- Medicare: More Effective Screening and Stronger Enrollment Standards Needed for Medical Equipment Suppliers. GAO-05-656, September 22, 2005 (47 pages).
- Overview of the Long-Term Care Partnership Program. GAO-05-1021R, September 9, 2005 (35 pages).
- U.S. Insular Areas: Multiple Factors Affect Federal Health Care Funding. GAO-06-75, October 14, 2005 (64 pages).
- Mortgage Financing: FHA's $7 Billion Reestimate Reflects Higher Claims and Changing Loan and Performance Estimates. GAO-05-875, September 2, 2005 (44 pages).
- Electronic Disability Claims Processing: SSA Is Proceeding with Its Accelerated Systems Initiative but Needs to Address Operational Issues. GAO-05-97, September 23, 2005 (42 pages).
- Social Security Reform: Other Countries' Experiences Provide Lessons for the United States. GAO-06-126, October 21, 2005 (64 pages).
- Chief Information Officers: Responsibilities and Information Technology Governance at Leading Private-Sector Companies. GAO-05-986, September 9, 2005 (46 pages).
- Information Security: The Defense Logistics Agency Needs to Fully Implement Its Security Program. GAO-06-31, October 7, 2005 (32 pages).
- Foreign Affairs: Agencies Have Improved the Intercountry Adoption Process, but Further Enhancements Are Needed. GAO-06-133, October 21, 2005 (61 pages).
- International Trade: U.S. and India Data on Offshoring Show Significant Differences. GAO-06-116, October 27, 2005 (30 pages).
- Official U.S. Representation at Government-Sponsored Public Policy Forums. GAO-06-89R, October 21, 2005 (18 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: Enhancing Security, Measuring Program Results, and Maintaining Infrastructure Are Necessary to Make Significant and Sustainable Progress. GAO-06-179T, October 18, 2005 (22 pages).
- Security Assistance: Efforts to Secure Colombia's Cano Limon-Covenas Oil Pipeline Have Reduced Attacks, but Challenges Remain. GAO-05-971, September 6, 2005 (26 pages).
- State Department: Stronger Action Needed to Improve Oversight and Assess Risks of the Summer Work Travel and Trainee Categories of the Exchange Visitor Program. GAO-06-106, October 14, 2005 (32 pages).
- Justice and Law Enforcement
- Community Policing Grants: COPS Grants Were a Modest Contributor to Declines in Crime in the 1990s. GAO-06-104, October 14, 2005 (115 pages).
- Drug Control: Air Bridge Denial Program in Colombia Has Implemented New Safeguards, but Its Effect on Drug Trafficking Is Not Clear. GAO-05-970, September 6, 2005 (27 pages).
- Immigration Benefits: Thirteenth Report Required by the Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act of 1998. GAO-06-122R, October 21, 2005 (6 pages).
- DOD Business Systems Modernization: Navy ERP Adherence to Best Business Practices Critical to Avoid Past Failures. GAO-05-858, September 29, 2005 (62 pages).
- DOD's High-Risk Areas: High-Level Commitment and Oversight Needed for DOD Supply Chain Plan to Succeed. GAO-06-113T, October 6, 2005 (11 pages).
- Defense Health Care: Health Insurance Stipend Program Expected to Cost More Than TRICARE But Could Improve Continuity of Care for Dependents of Activated Reserve Component Members. GAO-06-128R, October 19, 2005 (22 pages).
- Defense Logistics: Better Management and Oversight of Prepositioning Programs Needed to Reduce Risk and Improve Future Programs. GAO-05-427, September 6, 2005 (50 pages).
- Defense Trade: Implementation of Exon-Florio. GAO-06-135T, October 6, 2005 (13 pages).
- Force Structure: Assessments of Navy Reserve Manpower Requirements Need to Consider the Most Cost-effective Mix of Active and Reserve Manpower to Meet Mission Needs. GAO-06-125, October 18, 2005 (25 pages).
- Military Personnel: Federal Management of Servicemember Employment Rights Can Be Further Improved. GAO-06-60, October 19, 2005 (81 pages).
- Military Personnel: Top Management Attention Is Needed to Address Long-standing Problems with Determining Medical and Physical Fitness of the Reserve Force. GAO-06-105, October 27, 2005 (75 pages).
- Military Readiness: DOD Needs to Identify and Address Gaps and Potential Risks in Program Strategies and Funding Priorities for Selected Equipment. GAO-06-141, October 25, 2005 (142 pages).
- Reserve Forces: Army National Guard's Role, Organization, and Equipment Need to be Reexamined. GAO-06-170T, October 20, 2005 (24 pages).
- Reserve Forces: Plans Needed to Improve Army National Guard Equipment Readiness and Better Integrate Guard into Army Force Transformation Initiatives. GAO-06-111, October 4, 2005 (33 pages).
- Some Improvements Have Been Made in DOD's Annual Training Range Reporting but It Still Fails to Fully Address Congressional Requirements. GAO-06-29R, October 25, 2005 (24 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration: Long-standing Financial Management Challenges Threaten the Agency's Ability to Manage Its Programs. GAO-06-216T, October 27, 2005 (19 pages).
- A Glossary of Terms Used in the Federal Budget Process. GAO-05-734SP, September 1, 2005 (177 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Activities of the Treasury Inspector general for Tax Administration. GAO-05-999R, September 27, 2005 (20 pages).
- Tax Administration: Systematic Information Sharing Would Help IRS Determine the Deductibility of Civil Settlement Payments. GAO-05-747, September 15, 2005 (46 pages).
- Tax Gap: Multiple Strategies, Better Compliance Data, and Long-Term Goals Are Needed to Improve Taxpayer Compliance. GAO-06-208T, October 26, 2005 (15 pages).
- Aviation Safety: System Safety Approach Needs Further Integration into FAA's Oversight of Airlines. GAO-05-726, September 28, 2005 (48 pages).
- Commercial Aviation: Bankruptcy and Pension Problems Are Symptoms of Underlying Structural Issues. GAO-05-945, September 30, 2005 (85 pages).
- Passenger Rail Security: Enhanced Federal Leadership Needed to Prioritize and Guide Security Efforts. GAO-05-851, September 9, 2005 (94 pages).
- Passenger Rail Security: Enhanced Federal Leadership Needed to Prioritize and Guide Security Efforts. GAO-06-181T, October 20, 2005 (48 pages).
- Transportation Security Administration: More Clarity on the Authority of Federal Security Directors Is Needed. GAO-05-935, September 23, 2005 (55 pages).
- Contract Management: Further Action Needed to Improve Veterans Affairs Acquisition Function. GAO-06-144, October 19, 2005 (14 pages).
- VA Benefits: Other Programs May Provide Lessons for Improving Individual Unemployability Assessments. GAO-06-207T, October 27, 2005 (18 pages).
- VA Disability Benefits: Routine Monitoring of Disability Decisions Could Improve Consistency. GAO-06-120T, October 20, 2005 (9 pages).
- Veterans Affairs: The Role of the Chief Information Officer in Effectively Managing Information Technology. GAO-06-201T, October 20, 2005 (24 pages).
- Veterans' Disability Benefits: VA Could Enhance Its Progress in Complying with Court Decision on Disability Criteria. GAO-06-46, October 12, 2005 (33 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- ADC, Ltd.. B-297061, October 14, 2005 (7 pages).
- Architect of the Capitol--Contract Ratification. B-306353, October 26, 2005 (4 pages).
- Architect of the Capitol--Maximum Rate of Pay for Senior Employees. B-305945, September 30, 2005 (7 pages).
- Blue Rock Structures, Inc.--Costs. B-293134.2, October 26, 2005 (8 pages).
- Brewbaker White Sands JV. B-295582.4, October 5, 2005 (6 pages).
- Chapman Law Firm Company, LPA. B-296847, September 28, 2005 (4 pages).
- Coastal Maritime Stevedoring, LLC. B-296627, September 22, 2005 (10 pages).
- Cogent Systems, Inc.. B-295990.4, B-295990.5, October 6, 2005 (12 pages).
- Department of Education--Contract to Obtain Services of Armstrong Williams. B-305368, September 30, 2005 (16 pages).
- Department of Education--No Child Left Behind Act Video News Release and Media Analysis. B-304228, September 30, 2005 (12 pages).
- Department of Education--No Child Left Behind Newspaper Article. B-306349, September 30, 2005 (3 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services--Contract with Maggie Gallagher. B-304716, September 30, 2005 (7 pages).
- Fort Mojave/Hummel, a Joint Venture. B-296961, October 18, 2005 (7 pages).
- Hospital Klean of Texas, Inc.. B-295836; B-295836.2, April 18, 2005 (8 pages).
- Johnson Machine Works, Inc.. B-297115, October 20, 2005 (6 pages).
- Kola Nut Travel, Inc.. B-296090.2, B-296090.3, June 17, 2005 (7 pages).
- Kola Nut Travel, Inc.. B-296090.4, August 25, 2005 (9 pages).
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences--American Chemistry Council Donation. B-303689, September 30, 2005 (8 pages).
- Specialty Marine, Inc.. B-296988, October 11, 2005 (5 pages).
- Testek, Inc.. B-297137, October 28, 2005 (5 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.