Month in Review March 2005
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month.
Agriculture and Food
Mad Cow Disease: FDA's Management of the Feed Ban Has Improved,
but Oversight Weaknesses Continue to Limit Program Effectiveness.
GAO-05-101, February 25, 2005 (74 pages).
Budget and Spending
- Performance Budgeting: Efforts to Restructure Budgets to Better Align Resources with Performance. GAO-05-117SP, February 1, 2005 (182 pages).
- Performance Budgeting: States' Experiences Can Inform Federal Efforts. GAO-05-215, February 28, 2005 (64 pages).
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Catastrophe Risk: U.S. and European Approaches to Insure Natural Catastrophe and Terrorism Risks. GAO-05-199, February 28, 2005 (74 pages).
- Credit Reporting Literacy Survey Data. GAO-05-411SP, March 16, 2005 (1 page).
- Credit Reporting Literacy: Consumers Understood the Basics but Could Benefit from Targeted Educational Efforts. GAO-05-223, March 16, 2005 (121 pages).
- Equal Employment Opportunity: Information on Personnel Actions, Employee Concerns, and Oversight at Six DOE Laboratories. GAO-05-190, February 18, 2005 (70 pages).
- Head Start: Comprehensive Approach to Identifying and Addressing Risks Could Help Prevent Grantee Financial Management Weakenesses. GAO-05-176, February 28, 2005 (49 pages).
- Unemployment Insurance: Information on Benefit Receipt. GAO-05-291, March 17, 2005 (35 pages).
- Workforce Investment Act: Employers Are Aware of, Using, and Satisfied with One-Stop Services, but More Data Could Help Labor Better Address Employers' Needs. GAO-05-259, February 18, 2005 (45 pages).
- Meeting Energy Demand in the 21st Century: Many Challenges and Key Questions. GAO-05-414T, March 16, 2005 (34 pages).
- Clean Air Act: Observations on EPA's Cost-Benefit Analysis of Its Mercury Control Options. GAO-05-252, February 28, 2005 (22 pages).
- Hazardous Waste Sites: Improved Effectiveness of Controls at Sites Could Better Protect the Public. GAO-05-163, January 28, 2005 (60 pages).
- Consolidation Loan Borrower Interest Rates. GAO-05-389R, February 25, 2005 (6 pages).
- Financial Audit: American Battle Monuments Commission's Financial Statements for Fiscal Year 2004 and 2003. GAO-05-298, March 1, 2005 (36 pages).
- Financial Audit: Independent and Special Counsel Expenditures for the Six Months Ended September 30, 2004. GAO-05-359, March 31, 2005 (19 pages).
- Financial Audit: Senate Restaurants Revolving Fund for Fiscal Years 2004 and 2003. GAO-05-297, March 9, 2005 (16 pages).
- Management Report: Review of Controls over Safeguarding Taxpayer Receipts and Information at the Brookhaven Service Center Campus. GAO-05-319R, March 10, 2005 (13 pages).
- Tobacco Settlement: States' Allocations of Fiscal Year 2004 and Expected Fiscal Year 2005 Payments. GAO-05-312, March 21, 2005 (72 pages).
- Contract Management: Opportunities to Improve Pricing of GSA Multiple Award Schedules Contracts. GAO-05-229, February 11, 2005 (50 pages).
- Federal Acquisition: Progress in Implementing the Services Acquisition Reform Act of 2003. GAO-05-233, February 28, 2005 (23 pages).
- Federal Mandates: Identification Process Is Complex and Federal Agency Roles Vary. GAO-05-401T, March 8, 2005 (17 pages).
- Human Capital: Observations on Final DHS Human Capital Regulations. GAO-05-391T, March 2, 2005 (27 pages).
- Telecommunications: GSA Has Made Progress Planning for a New Governmentwide Program, But Critical Issues Remain. GAO-05-361T, March 3, 2005 (19 pages).
- Managing Diabetes: Health Plan Coverage of Services and Supplies. GAO-05-210, February 25, 2005 (31 pages).
- Medicaid Drug Rebate Program: Inadequate Oversight Raises Concerns about Rebates Paid to States. GAO-05-102, February 4, 2005 (32 pages).
- Medicare Physician Fees: Geographic Adjustment Indices Are Valid in Design, but Data and Methods Need Refinement. GAO-05-119, March 11, 2005 (48 pages).
- Aviation Security: Secure Flight Development and Testing Under Way, but Risks Should Be Managed as System Is Further Developed. GAO-05-356, March 28, 2005 (80 pages).
- Aviation Security: Systematic Planning Needed to Optimize the Deployment of Checked Baggage Screening Systems. GAO-05-365, March 15, 2005 (72 pages).
- Bioterrorism: Information on Jurisdictions' Expenditure and Reported Obligation of Program Funds. GAO-05-239, February 28, 2005 (34 pages).
- Gun Control and Terrorism: FBI Could Better Manage Firearm-Related Background Checks Involving Terrorist Watch List Records. GAO-05-127, January 19, 2005 (38 pages).
- Homeland Security: Management of First Responder Grant Programs Has Improved, but Challenges Remain. GAO-05-121, February 2, 2005 (49 pages).
- Homeland Security: Much Is Being Done to Protect Agriculture from a Terrorist Attack, but Important Challenges Remain. GAO-05-214, March 8, 2005 (95 pages).
- Homeland Security: Performance of Foreign Student and Exchange Visitor Information System Continues to Improve, But Issues Remain. GAO-05-440T, March 17, 2005 (23 pages).
- Wastewater Facilities: Experts' Views on How Federal Funds Should Be Spent to Improve Security. GAO-05-165, January 31, 2005 (69 pages).
- Elderly Housing: Federal Housing Programs That Offer Assistance for the Elderly. GAO-05-174, February 14, 2005 (78 pages).
- HUD Rental Assistance: Progress and Challenges in Measuring and Reducing Improper Rent Subsidies. GAO-05-224, February 18, 2005 (93 pages).
- Mortgage Financing: Actions Needed to Help FHA Manage Risks from New Mortgage Loan Products. GAO-05-194, February 11, 2005 (62 pages).
- Rural Housing Service: Overview of Program Issues. GAO-05-382T, March 10, 2005 (19 pages).
- Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation: Structural Problems Limit Agency's Ability to Protect Itself from Risk. GAO-05-360T, March 2, 2005 (17 pages).
- Social Security Administration: A More Formal Approach Could Enhance SSA's Ability to Develop and Manage Totalization Agreements. GAO-05-250, February 28, 2005 (23 pages).
- Social Security Administration: Better Planning Could Make the Ticket Program More Effective. GAO-05-248, March 2, 2005 (44 pages).
- Social Security Reform: Early Action Would be Prudent. GAO-05-397T, March 9, 2005 (25 pages).
- Social Security: Better Coordination among Federal Agencies Could Reduce Unidentified Earnings Reports. GAO-05-154, February 4, 2005 (47 pages).
- Information Resource Management Internal Control Issues. GAO-05-288R, March 10, 2005 (8 pages).
- Information Security: Securities and Exchange Commission Needs to Address Weak Controls over Financial and Sensitive Data. GAO-05-262, March 23, 2005 (25 pages).
- Information Technology: Customs Automated Commercial Environment Program Progressing, but Need for Management Improvements Continues. GAO-05-267, March 14, 2005 (122 pages).
- Telecommunications: Concerns Regarding the Structure and FCC's Management of the E-Rate Program. GAO-05-439T, March 16, 2005 (17pages).
- Telecommunications: Greater Involvement Needed by FCC in the Management and Oversight of the E-Rate Program. GAO-05-151, February 9, 2005 (70 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: Preliminary Observations on Challenges in Transferring Security Responsibilities to Iraqi Military and Police. GAO-05-431T, March 14, 2005 (19 pages).
- United Nations: Sustained Oversight Is Needed for Reforms to Achieve Lasting Results. GAO-05-392T, March 2, 2005 (14 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Adult Drug Courts: Evidence Indicates Recidivism Reductions and Mixed Results for Other Outcomes. GAO-05-219, February 28, 2005 (75 pages).
- Anti-Drug Media Campaign: An Array of Services Was Provided, but Most Funds Were Committed to Buying Media Time and Space. GAO-05-175, March 31, 2005 (35 pages).
- Criminal Debt: Court-Ordered Restitution Amounts Far Exceed Likely Collections for the Crime Victims in Selected Financial Fraud Cases. GAO-05-80, January 31, 2005 (24 pages).
- Air Force Assessment of the Joint Strike Fighter's Aerial Refueling Method. GAO-05-316R, March 14, 2005 (7 pages).
- Army National Guard: Inefficient, Error-Prone Process Results in Travel Reimbursement Problems for Mobilized Soldiers. GAO-05-400T, March 16, 2005 (32 pages).
- Army National Guard: Inefficient, Error-Prone Process Results in Travel Reimbursement Problems for Mobilized Soldiers. GAO-05-79, January 31, 2005 (85 pages).
- Chemical And Biological Defense: Army and Marine Corps Need to Establish Minimum Training Tasks and Improve Reporting for Combat Training Centers. GAO-05-8, January 28, 2005 (40 pages).
- Contract Management: Opportunities to Improve Surveillance on Department of Defense Service Contracts. GAO-05-274, March 17, 2005 (32 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Assessments of Selected Major Weapon Programs. GAO-05-301, March 31, 2005 (139 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Changes in E-10A Acquisition Strategy Needed before Development Starts. GAO-05-273, March 15, 2005 (21 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Future Combat Systems Challenges and Prospects for Success. GAO-05-428T, March 16, 2005 (25 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Future Combat Systems Challenges and Prospects for Success. GAO-05-442T, March 15, 2005 (25 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Improved Management Practices Could Help Minimize Cost Growth in Navy Shipbuilding Programs. GAO-05-183, February 28, 2005 (79 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Information for Congress on Performance of Major Programs Can Be More Complete, Timely, and Accessible. GAO-05-182, March 28, 2005 (21 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Plans Need to Allow Enough Time to Demonstrate Capability of First Littoral Combat Ships. GAO-05-255, March 1, 2005 (44 pages).
- Defense Aquisitions: Status of Ballistic Missile Defense Program in 2004. GAO-05-243, March 31, 2005 (127 pages).
- Defense Logistics: High-Level DOD Coordination Is Needed to Further Improve the Management of the Army's LOGCAP Contract. GAO-05-328, March 21, 2005 (25 pages).
- Defense Microelectronics: DOD-Funded Facilities Involved in Research Prototyping or Production. GAO-05-278, March 11, 2005 (21 pages).
- Force Structure: Preliminary Observations on Army Plans to Implement and Fund Modular Forces. GAO-05-443T, March 16, 2005 (11 pages).
- Human Capital: Preliminary Observations on Proposed DOD National Security Personnel System Regulations. GAO-05-432T, March 15, 2005 (30 pages).
- Maritime Administration: Improved Program Management Needed to Address Timely Disposal of Obsolete Ships. GAO-05-264, March 7, 2005 (56 pages).
- Military Personnel: Preliminary Observations on Recruiting and Retention Issues within the U.S. Armed Forces. GAO-05-419T, March 16, 2005 (16 pages).
- Tactical Aircraft: Air Force Still Needs Business Case to Support F/A-22 Quantities and Increased Capabilities. GAO-05-304, March 15, 2005 (27 pages).
- Tactical Aircraft: Opportunity to Reduce Risks in the Joint Strike Fighter Program with Different Acquisition Strategy. GAO-05-271, March 15, 2005 (38 pages).
- Tactical Aircraft: Status of the F/A-22 and JSF Acquisition Programs and Implications for Tactical Aircraft Modernization. GAO-05-390T, March 3, 2005 (22 pages).
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Improved Stategic and Acquisition Planning Can Help Address Emerging Challenges. GAO-05-395T, March 9, 2005 (15 pages).
- Freshwater Programs: Federal Agencies' Funding in the United States and Abroad. GAO-05-253, March 11, 2005 (66 pages).
- Invasive Species: Cooperation and Coordination Are Important for Effective Management of Invasive Weeds. GAO-05-185, February 25, 2005 (93 pages).
- Klamath River Basin: Reclamation Met Its Water Bank Obligations, but Information Provided to Water Bank Stakeholders Could Be Improved. GAO-05-283, March 28, 2005 (55 pages).
- Storm Water Pollution: Information Needed on the Implications of Permitting Oil and Gas Construction Activities. GAO-05-240, February 9, 2005 (27 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- NASA's Space Vision: Business Case for Prometheus 1 Needed to Ensure Requirements Match Available Resources. GAO-05-242, February 28, 2005 (30 pages).
- Space Shuttle: Actions Needed to Better Position NASA to Sustain Its Workforce Through Retirement. GAO-05-230, March 9, 2005 (25 pages).
- Principles of Federal Appropriations Law: 2004 Update of the Third Edition. GAO-05-354SP, March 1, 2005 (54 pages).
- Coast Guard: Observations on Agency Priorities in Fiscal Year 2006 Budget Request. GAO-05-364T, March 17, 2005 (32 pages).
- VA Disability Benefits and Health Care: Providing Certain Services to the Seriously Injured Poses Challenges. GAO-05-444T, March 17, 2005 (9 pages).
- Veterans Affairs Homeless Programs: Implementation of the Transitional Housing Loan Guarantee Program. GAO-05-311R, March 16, 2005 (18 pages).
- Veterans Health Care: VA's Medical Support Role in Emergency Preparedness. GAO-05-387R, March 23, 2005 (32 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- AVL Books.Com, Inc.. B-295780, March 28, 2005 (3 pages).
- Abt Associates Inc.. B-295449, B-295449.2, March 2, 2005 (10 pages).
- Aeroflex Test Solutions. B-295380, B-295380.2, February 7, 2005 (6 pages).
- American Water Services, Inc.. B-295376, February 8, 2005 (16 pages).
- CW Government Travel, Inc.. B-295530, March 7, 2005 (4 pages).
- CourtSmart Digital Systems, Inc.--Costs. B-292995.7, March 18, 2005 (5 pages).
- FR Countermeasures, Inc.. B-295375, February 10, 2005 (10 pages).
- Government Scrap Sales. B-295585, March 11, 2005 (5 pages).
- Kenneth Ashe. B-295587, March 3, 2005 (3 pages).
- Legal Principles Defining the Scope of the Federal Antitrust Exemption for Insurance. B-304474, March 4, 2005 (45 pages).
- Liberty Power Corporation. B-295502, March 14, 2005 (7 pages).
- Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company; L-3 Communications Integrated Systems L.P.; BAE Systems Integrated Defense Solutions, Inc.. B-293401.2, B-295401, B-295401.3, B-295401.4, B-295401.5, B-295401.6, B-295401.7, B-295401.8, February 24, 2005 (15 pages).
- Lockheed Martin Corporation. B-295402, February 18, 2005 (19 pages).
- Lucent Technologies World Services Inc.. B-295462, March 2, 2005 (12 pages).
- MTB Group, Inc.. B-295463, February 23, 2005 (5 pages).
- McKinley Construction & Excavating. B-295547, March 3, 2005 (3 pages).
- National Institutes of Health--Food at Government-Sponsored Conferences. B-300826, March 3, 2005 (9 pages).
- OMNIPLEX World Services Corp.. B-295698, B-295698.2, March 18, 2005 (5 pages).
- Sigma One Corporation. B-294719, December 2, 2004 (6 pages).
- Singleton Enterprises. B-295562, February 25, 2005 (3 pages).
- Supreme Edgelight Devices, Inc.. B-295574, March 4, 2005 (4 pages).
- Systems, Studies, and Simulation, Inc.. B-295579, March 28, 2005 (7 pages).
- TekStar, Inc.. B-295444, B-295444.2, February 18, 2005 (9 pages).
- Transmission of Antideficiency Act Reports to the Comptroller General of the United States. B-304335, March 8, 2005 (3 pages).
- White Sands Concessions, Inc.. B-295932, March 18, 2005 (2 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov .
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: email@example.com with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov .
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO:
This list is produced by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.
Back to Top