Month in Review January 2005
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month.
Agriculture and Food
- Agricultural Conservation: USDA Should Improve Its Methods for Estimating Technical Assistance Costs. GAO-05-58, November 30, 2004 (22 pages).
- Dairy Industry: Information on Milk Prices, Factors Affecting Prices, and Dairy Policy Options. GAO-05-50, December 29, 2004 (247 pages).
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Telemarketing: Implementation of the National Do-Not-Call Registry. GAO-05-113, January 28, 2005 (35 pages).
- Charter Schools: To Enhance Education's Monitoring and Research, More Charter School-Level Data Are Needed. GAO-05-5, January 12, 2005 (69 pages).
- Federal Family Education Loan Program: More Oversight Is Needed for Schools That Are Lenders. GAO-05-184, January 24, 2005 (37 pages).
- Student Financial Aid: Need Determination Could Be Enhanced through Improvements in Education's Estimate of Applicants' State Tax Payments. GAO-05-105, January 21, 2005 (61 pages).
- Workplace Safety and Health: Safety in the Meat and Poultry Industry, While Improving, Could Be Further Strengthened. GAO-05-96, January 12, 2005 (69 pages).
- Brownfield Redevelopment: Stakeholders Report That EPA's Program Helps to Redevelop Sites, but Additional Measures Could Complement Agency Efforts. GAO-05-94, December 2, 2004 (43 pages).
- Capital Financing: Partnerships and Energy Savings Performance Contracts Raise Budgeting and Monitoring Concerns. GAO-05-55, December 16, 2004 (139 pages).
- American Samoa: Accountability for Key Federal Grants Needs Improvement. GAO-05-41, December 17, 2004 (146 pages).
- Global HIV/AIDS Epidemic: Selection of Antiretroviral Medications Provided Under U.S. Emergency Plan Is Limited. GAO-05-133, January 11, 2005 (37 pages).
- Homeland Security: Further Actions Needed to Coordinate Federal Agencies' Facility Protection Efforts and Promote Key Practices. GAO-05-49, November 30, 2004 (84 pages).
- Rural Housing: Changing the Definition of Rural Could Improve Eligibility Determinations. GAO-05-110, December 3, 2004 (49 pages).
- State Department Needs to Resolve Data Reliability Problems that Led to Inaccurate Reporting to Congress on Foreign Arms Sales. GAO-05-156R, January 28, 2005 (17 pages).
- U.S.-China Trade: Summary of 2003 World Trade Organization Transitional Review Mechanism for China. GAO-05-209R, January 25, 2005 (99 pages).
- Weapons of Mass Destruction: Nonproliferation Programs Need Better Integration. GAO-05-157, January 28, 2005 (43 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Alien Registration: Usefulness of a Nonimmigrant Alien Annual Address Reporting Requirement Is Questionable. GAO-05-204, January 28, 2005 (14 pages).
- Drug Control: High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas' Efforts to Link Investigations to International Drug Traffickers. GAO-05-122, January 28, 2005 (27 pages).
- Military Base Closures: Updated Status of Prior Base Realignments and Closures. GAO-05-138, January 13, 2005 (48 pages).
- Oil and Gas Development: Challenges to Agency Decisions and Opportunities for BLM to Standardize Data Collection. GAO-05-124, November 30, 2004 (33 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- Technology Development: New DOD Space Science and Technology Strategy Provides Basis for Optimizing Investments, but Future Versions Need to Be More Robust. GAO-05-155, January 28, 2005 (30 pages).
- GAO Performance and Accountability Highlights: Fiscal Year 2004. GAO-05-63SP, January 1, 2005 (56 pages).
- High-Risk Series: An Update. GAO-05-207, January 1, 2005 (39 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Opportunities to Improve Timeliness of IRS Lien Releases. GAO-05-26R, January 10, 2005 (19 pages).
- Highway And Transit Investments: Options for Improving Information on Projects' Benefits and Costs and Increasing Accountability for Results. GAO-05-172, January 24, 2005 (86 pages).
- Vocational Rehabilitation: More VA and DOD Collaboration Needed to Expedite Services for Seriously Injured Servicemembers. GAO-05-167, January 14, 2005 (27 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company. B-294944.2, January 18, 2005 (8 pages).
- CBMC, Inc.. B-295586, January 6, 2005 (2 pages).
- Capitol CREAG LLC. B-294958.4, January 31, 2005 (8 pages).
- Catapult Technology, Ltd.. B-294936, B-294936.2, January 13, 2005 (7 pages).
- College of Physicians Services, Inc.; COLA. B-294881, B-294881.2, January 3, 2005 (8 pages).
- Cooley/Engineered Membranes; GTA Containers, Inc.. B-294896.2, B-294896.3, B-294896.4, January 21, 2005 (9 pages).
- Erica Lane Enterprises, Inc.. B-295068, January 19, 2005 (5 pages).
- KEI Pearson, Inc.. B-294226.3, B-294226.4, January 10, 2005 (9 pages).
- Military Waste Management, Inc.. B-294645.2, January 13, 2005 (5 pages).
- Office of National Drug Control Policy--Video News Release. B-303495, January 4, 2005 (17 pages).
- Pitney Bowes Inc.. B-294868, B-294868.2, January 4, 2005 (6 pages).
- Riley Creek Lumber Company. B-295322, January 13, 2005 (2 pages).
- STEM International, Inc.. B-295471, January 24, 2005 (5 pages).
- State Department--Assistance for Lebanon. B-303268, January 3, 2005 (8 pages).
- Summary of Recommendations: The 9/11 Commission Report. B-303692, September 9, 2004 (43 pages).
- Superior Optical Labs, Inc.; Diversified Ophthalmics, Inc.. B-294662, B-294662.2, December 9, 2004 (8 pages).
- Tiger Enterprises, Inc.. B-294973, January 4, 2005 (4 pages).
- Washington Adventist Hospital. B-294371.3, B-294371.4, January 21, 2005 (3 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service: Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy; Minimal-Risk Regions and Importation of Commodities. GAO-05-260R, January 18, 2005 (4 pages).
- Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Head Restraints. GAO-05-232R, January 10, 2005 (4 pages).
- Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service; Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration; and Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Federal Regulations for Health Coverage Portability for Group Health Plans and Group Health Insurance Issuers Under HIPAA Titles I & IV. GAO-05-246R, January 13, 2005 (4 pages).
- Federal Communications Commission: Promoting Efficient Use of Spectrum Through Elimination of Barriers to the Development of Secondary Markets. GAO-05-141R, January 10, 2005 (4 pages).
- Federal Trade Commission: Definitions and Implementation Under the CAN-SPAM Act. GAO-05-279R, January 28, 2005 (4 pages).
- Securities and Exchange Commission: Asset-Backed Securities. GAO-05-254R, January 21, 2005 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO:
This list is produced by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.