GAO Month in Review August 2005
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Small Business Participation in the Alaska Natural Gas Pipeline Project. GAO-05-860R, August 4, 2005, (9 pages).
- Ultimate Effects of McCarran-Ferguson Federal Antitrust Exemption on Insurer Activity are Unclear. GAO-05-816R, July 28, 2005, (30 pages).
- Alaska Native Villages: Recent Federal Assistance Exceeded $3 Billion, with Most Provided to Regional Nonprofits. GAO-05-719, August 2, 2005, (171 pages).
- College Textbooks: Enhanced Offerings Appear to Drive Recent Price Increases. GAO-05-806, July 29, 2005, (46 pages).
- Student Aid And Postsecondary Tax Preferences: Limited Research Exists on Effectiveness of Tools to Assist Students and Families through Title IV Student Aid and Tax Preferences. GAO-05-684, July 29, 2005, (57 pages).
- Securing U.S. Nuclear Materials: DOE Needs to Take Action to Safely Consolidate Plutonium. GAO-05-665, July 20, 2005, (28 pages).
- Air Pollution: Estimated Emissions from Two New Mexicali Power Plants Are Low, but Health Impacts Are Unknown. GAO-05-823, August 12, 2005, (46 pages).
- Clean Water Act: Improved Resource Planning Would Help EPA Better Respond to Changing Needs and Fiscal Constraints. GAO-05-721, July 22, 2005, (43 pages).
- Environmental Justice: EPA Should Devote More Attention to Environmental Justice When Developing Clean Air Rules. GAO-05-289, July 25, 2005, (52 pages).
- Environmental Liabilities: EPA Should Do More to Ensure That Liable Parties Meet Their Cleanup Obligations. GAO-05-658, August 17, 2005, (83 pages).
- Great Lakes Initiative: EPA Needs to Better Ensure the Complete and Consistent Implementation of Water Quality Standards. GAO-05-829, July 27, 2005, (47 pages).
- Public Utility Holding Company Act: Opportunities to Strengthen SEC's Administration of the Act. GAO-05-617, July 8, 2005, (44 pages).
- Financial Management: State and Federal Governments Are Not Taking Action to Collect Unpaid Debt through Reciprocal Agreements. GAO-05-697R, July 26, 2005, (17 pages).
- Management Report: Opportunities for Improvements in SEC's Internal Controls and Accounting Procedures. GAO-05-693R, August 12, 2005, (17 pages).
- Federal Procurement: Additional Data Reporting Could Improve the Suspension and Debarment Process. GAO-05-479, July 29, 2005, (31 pages).
- Human Capital: Selected Agencies Have Opportunities to Enhance Existing Succession Planning and Management Efforts. GAO-05-585, June 30, 2005 (55 pages).
- U.S. Postal Service: Guidance on Suspicious Mail Needs Further Refinement. GAO-05-716, July 19, 2005, (60 pages).
- Health Centers: Competition for Grants and Efforts to Measure Performance Have Increased. GAO-05-645, July 13, 2005, (47 pages).
- Medicare Contracting Reform: CMS's Plan Has Gaps and Its Anticipated Savings Are Uncertain. GAO-05-873, August 17, 2005, (63 pages).
- Medicare: Concerns Regarding Plans to Transfer the Appeals Workload from SSA to HHS Remain. GAO-05-703R, June 30, 2005, (68 pages).
- Physician Services: Concierge Care Characteristics and Considerations for Medicare. GAO-05-929, August 12, 2005, (44 pages).
- Homeland Security: DHS' Efforts to Enhance First Responders' All-Hazards Capabilities Continue to Evolve. GAO-05-652, July 11, 2005, (64 pages).
- Social Security Administration: Additional Actions Needed in Ongoing Efforts to Improve 800-Number Service. GAO-05-735, August 8, 2005, (44 pages).
- Data Mining: Agencies Have Taken Key Steps to Protect Privacy in Selected Efforts, but Significant Compliance Issues Remain. GAO-05-866, August 15, 2005 (76 pages).
- Foreign Assistance: USAID's Cash Transfer Program in Egypt Supports Economic Reform Activities, but Various Factors Have Limited Its Influence. GAO-05-731, July 11, 2005, (34 pages).
- Nuclear Nonproliferation: Better Management Controls Needed for Some DOE Projects in Russia and Other Countries. GAO-05-828, August 29, 2005, (26 pages).
- Defense Logistics: DOD Has Begun to Improve Supply Distribution Operations, but Further Actions Are Needed to Sustain These Efforts. GAO-05-775, August 11, 2005, (36 pages).
- Defense Management: Assessment Should Be Done to Clarify Defense Prisoner of War/Missing Personnel Office Personnel and Funding Needs. GAO-05-756R, August 25, 2005, (34 pages).
- Defense Management: Munitions Requirements and Combatant Commander's Needs Still Require Linkage. GAO-05-765R, August 12, 2005, (7 pages).
- Military Transformation: Actions Needed by DOD to More Clearly Identify New Triad Spending and Develop a Long-term Investment Approach. GAO-05-962R, August 4, 2005, (11 pages).
- Questions for the Record Related to DOD's Personnel Security Clearance Program. GAO-05-988R, August 19, 2005, (4 pages).
- Welfare Reform: HHS Should Exercise Oversight to Help Ensure TANF Work Participation Is Measured Consistently across States. GAO-05-821, August 19, 2005, (41 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Tax Administration: IRS Needs Better Strategic Planning and Evaluation of Taxpayer Assistance Training. GAO-05-782, July 11, 2005, (52 pages).
- Tax Compliance: Better Compliance Data and Long-term Goals Would Support a More Strategic IRS Approach to Reducing the Tax Gap. GAO-05-753, July 18, 2005, (39 pages).
- Intermodal Transportation: Potential Strategies Would Redefine Federal Role in Developing Airport Intermodal Capabilities. GAO-05-727, July 26, 2005, (97 pages).
- Survey of Large- and Medium-Hub Airports on Existing and Planned Bus and Rail Connections. GAO-05-738SP, July 26, 2005, (1 page).
- VA Health Care: Key Challenges to Aligning Capital Assets and Enhancing Veterans' Care. GAO-05-429, August 5, 2005, (27 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Aerosol Monitoring & Analysis, Inc.. B-296197, June 30, 2005, (4 pages).
- All Phase Services, Inc.. B-294640, B-294640.2, December 1, 2004, (7 pages).
- Antmarin Inc.; Georgios P. Tzanakos; Domar S.r.l.. B-296317, July 26, 2005, (10 pages).
- Burns and Roe Services Corporation. B-296355, July 27, 2005, (8 pages).
- CW Government Travel, Inc.--Reconsideration; CW Government Travel, Inc.; CI Travel; The Alamo Travel Group; National Travel Service; Bay Area Travel; Knowledge Connections. B-295530.2, B-295530.3, B-295530.4, July 25, 2005, (9 pages).
- Cattlemen's Meat Company. B-296616, August 30, 2005, (4 pages).
- Computers Universal, Inc.. B-296501, August 18, 2005 (4 pages).
- Computers Universal, Inc.. B-296536, August 18, 2005, (3 pages).
- Cooperativa Muratori Riuniti. B-294980.5, July 27, 2005, (9 pages).
- Delta Dental of California. B-296307, B-296307.2, July 28, 2005, (19 pages).
- Department of State--Costs. B-295352.5, August 18, 2005, (3 pages).
- Digital Healthcare, Inc.. B-296489, August 24, 2005, (5 pages).
- Encompass Group LLC. B-296602, B-296617, August 10, 2005 (5 pages).
- Evergreen Fire & Security. B-296510, August 22, 2005, (4 pages).
- Firetech Automatic Sprinkler. B-295882, May 4, 2005, (2 pages).
- Integrate, Inc.. B-296526, August 4, 2005, (4 pages).
- Jess Bruner Fire Suppression. B-296533, August 19, 2005, (6 pages).
- Johnson Controls World Services, Inc.--Costs. B-295529.4, August 19, 2005, (8 pages).
- Logistics Solutions Group, Inc.. B-294604.7, B-294604.8, July 28, 2005, (6 pages).
- Muddy Creek Oil and Gas, Inc.. B-296836, August 9, 2005, (2 pages).
- OTI America, Inc.. B-295455.3, B-295455.4, August 10, 2005, (7 pages).
- Rand & Jones Enterprises Company, Inc.. B-296483, August 4, 2005, (4 pages).
- Resource Consultants, Inc.. B-293073.3, B-293073.5, B-293073.6, June 2, 2004, (11 pages).
- SGT, Inc.. B-294722.4, July 28, 2005, (14 pages).
- SPAAN Tech, Inc.. B-296305, July 14, 2005, (5 pages).
- Sigmatech, Inc.. B-296401, August 10, 2005, (8 pages).
- Trajen, Inc.; Maytag Aircraft Corporation. B-296334, B-296334.2, B-296334.3, B-296334.4, July 29, 2005, (16 pages).
- TransAtlantic Lines, LLC. B-296245, B-296245.2, July 14, 2005, (5 pages).
- United Paradyne Corporation. B-296609, August 19, 2005, (6 pages).
- United States Capitol Police--Overtime Pay and Compensatory Leave for Members and Civilian Employees. B-305835.2, August 29, 2005, (8 pages).
- Vador Ventures, Inc.. B-296394, B-296394.2, August 5, 2005, (6 pages).
- Veterans Affairs--Liability of Alexander Tripp. B-304233, August 8, 2005, (7 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov .
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov .
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO:
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.