Month in Review October 2004
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month.
Agriculture and Food
- Food Safety: USDA and FDA Need to Better Ensure Prompt and Complete Recalls of Potentially Unsafe Food. GAO-05-51, October 7, 2004 (76 pages).
- U.S. Commission on Civil Rights: Management Could Benefit from Improved Strategic Planning and Increased Oversight. GAO-05-77, October 8, 2004 (50 pages).
- Local Television Act: Status of Spending for Fiscal Year 2003. GAO-05-18R, October 15, 2004 (8 pages).
- No Child Left Behind Act: Additional Assistance and Research on Effective Strategies Would Help Small Rural Districts. GAO-04-909, September 23, 2004 (52 pages).
- No Child Left Behind Act: Improvements Needed in Education's Process for Tracking States' Implementation of Key Provisions. GAO-04-734, September 30, 2004 (51 pages).
- Office of Federal Student Aid: Better Strategic and Human Capital Would Help Sustain Management Progress. GAO-05-31, October 6, 2004 (53 pages).
- Public Community Colleges and Technical Schools: Most Schools Use Both Credit and Noncredit Programs for Workforce Development. GAO-05-4, October 18, 2004 (38 pages).
- Special Education: Improved Timeliness and Better Use of Enforcement Actions Could Strengthen Education's Monitoring System. GAO-04-879, September 9, 2004 (37 pages).
- Corporate Credit Unions: Competitive Environment May Stress Financial Condition, Posing Challenges for NCUA Oversight. GAO-04-977, September 10, 2004 (102 pages).
- Financial Market Preparedness: Improvements Made, but More Action Needed to Prepare for Wide-Scale Disasters. GAO-04-984, September 27, 2004 (50 pages).
- Financial Management: Improved Financial Systems Are Key to FFMIA Compliance. GAO-05-20, October 1, 2004 (58 pages).
- Health Coverage Tax Credit: Simplified and More Timely Enrollment Process Could Increase Participation. GAO-04-1029, September 30, 2004 (98 pages).
- Health Information: First-Year Experiences under the Federal Privacy Rule. GAO-04-965, September 3, 2004 (37 pages).
- Medicare Hospice Care: Modifications to Payment Methodology May Be Warranted. GAO-05-42, October 15, 2004 (30 pages).
- Medicare Physician Payments: Concerns about Spending Target System Prompt Interest in Considering Reforms. GAO-05-85, October 8, 2004 (69 pages).
- Medicare: Appropriate Dispensing Fee Needed for Suppliers of Inhalation Therapy Drugs. GAO-05-72, October 12, 2004 (20 pages).
- Medicare: Incomplete Plan to Transfer Appeals Workload from SSA to HHS Threatens Service to Appellants. GAO-05-45, October 4, 2004 (41 pages).
- Prescription Drugs: Trends in Usual and Customary Prices for Drugs Frequently Used by Medicare and Non-Medicare Enrollees. GAO-05-104R, October 6, 2004 (7 pages).
- Homeland Security: Effective Regional Coordination Can Enhance Emergency Preparedness. GAO-04-1009, September 15, 2004 (40 pages).
- Homeland Security: Management Challenges Remain in Transforming Immigration Programs. GAO-05-81, October 14, 2004 (56 pages).
- Disability Insurance: SSA Should Strengthen Its Efforts to Detect and Prevent Overpayments. GAO-04-929, September 10, 2004 (32 pages).
- Private Pensions: Airline Plans' Underfunding Illustrates Broader Problems with the Defined Benefit Pension System. GAO-05-108T, October 7, 2004 (9 pages).
- Electronic Government: Smart Card Usage is Advancing Among Federal Agencies, Including the Department of Veterans Affairs. GAO-05-84T, October 6, 2004 (17 pages).
- Information Technology: Major Federal Networks That Support Homeland Security Functions. GAO-04-375, September 17, 2004 (60 pages).
- Export-Import Bank: OMB's Method for Estimating Bank's Loss Rates Involves Challenges and Lacks Transparency. GAO-04-531, September 30, 2004 (103 pages).
- Foreign Regimes' Assets: The United States Faces Challenges in Recovering Assets, but Has Mechanisms That Could Guide Future Efforts. GAO-04-1006, September 14, 2004 (56 pages).
- U.S.-China Trade: Opportunities to Improve U.S. Government Efforts to Ensure China's Compliance with World Trade Organization Commitments. GAO-05-53, October 6, 2004 (70 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Department of Justice's Activities to Address Past Election-Related Voting Irregularities. GAO-04-1041R, September 14, 2004 (109 pages).
- U.S. Attorney General's Travel Costs for the USA PATRIOT Act Tour and Related Activities. GAO-05-95R, October 12, 2004 (27 pages).
- Alaska Native Allotments: Conflicts with Utility Rights-of-way Have Not Been Resolved through Existing Remedies. GAO-04-923, September 7, 2004 (72 pages).
- Drinking Water: Experts' Views on How Federal Funding Can Best Be Spent To Improve Security. GAO-04-1098T, September 30, 2004 (18 pages).
- Great Lakes: Organizational Leadership and Restoration Goals Need to Be Better Defined for Monitoring Restoration Progress. GAO-04-1024, September 28, 2004 (58 pages).
- Child Care: State Efforts to Enforce Safety and Health Requirements. GAO-04-786, September 9, 2004 (49 pages).
- TANF and SSI: Opportunities Exist to Help People with Impairments Become More Self-Sufficient. GAO-04-878, September 15, 2004 (31 pages).
- Welfare Reform: Rural TANF Programs Have Developed Many Strategies to Address Rural Challenges. GAO-04-921, September 10, 2004 (50 pages).
- GAO's Agency Protocols. GAO-05-35G, October 21, 2004 (35 pages).
- GAO's International Protocols. GAO-05-91SP, October 1, 2004 (21 pages).
- GAO: The Human Capital Strategic Plan Fiscal Years 2004-2006. GAO-04-1063SP, September 1, 2004 (32 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Tax Administration: IRS Needs to Consider Options for Revising Regulations to Increase the Accuracy of Social Security Numbers on Wage Statements. GAO-04-712, August 31, 2004 (29 pages).
- Transportation Security R&D: TSA and DHS Are Researching and Developing Technologies, but Need to Improve R&D Management. GAO-04-890, September 30, 2004 (64 pages).
- U.S. Office of Special Counsel's Role in Enforcing Law to Protect Reemployment Rights of Veterans and Reservists in Federal Employment. GAO-05-74R, October 6, 2004 (12 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- AIA-Todini-Lotos. B-294337, October 15, 2004 (13 pages).
- CliniComp, International. B-294059, B-294059.2, July 26, 2004 (6 pages).
- Cooperativa Maratori Riuniti-Anese. B-294747, October 15, 2004 (4 pages).
- Information Ventures, Inc.. B-294267, October 8, 2004 (7 pages).
- Joint Management & Technology Services. B-294229, B-294229.2, September 22, 2004 (9 pages).
- Legal Principles Applicable to Selection of Federal Advisory Committee Members. B-303767, October 18, 2004 (9 pages).
- State Department - Rest and Recuperation Travel. B-302728, October 1, 2004 (6 pages).
- United Seguranca, Ltda.. B-294388, October 21, 2004 (5 pages).
- Veterans Health Administration--Appropriations for CARES Cost Comparison Studies. B-302973, October 6, 2004 (11 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Marketing Service: Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling of Fish and Shellfish. GAO-05-111R, October 15, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Continuation of Medicare Entitlement When Disability Benefit Entitlement Ends Because of Substantial Gainful Activity. GAO-05-88R, October 8, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of Homeland Security: United States Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology Program ("US-VISIT"); Authority to Collect Biometric Data From Additional Travelers and Expansion to the 50 Most Highly Trafficked Land Border Ports of Entry. GAO-05-112R, October 15, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: Migratory Bird Hunting; Final Frameworks for Late-Season Migratory Bird Hunting Regulations. GAO-05-75R, October 4, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: Migratory Bird Hunting; Late Seasons and Bag and Possession Limits for Certain Migratory Game Birds. GAO-05-76R, October 5, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service: Migratory Bird Hunting; Regulations on Certain Federal Indian Reservations and Ceded Lands for the 2004-05 Late Season. GAO-05-98R, October 12, 2004 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Susan Becker of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: email@example.com with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO:
This list is produced by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.