Month in Review November 2004
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month.
- Nuclear Nonproliferation: DOE Needs to Consider Options to Accelerate the Return of Weapons-Usable Uranium from Other Countries to the United States and Russia. GAO-05-57, November 19, 2004 (29 pages).
- Environmental Indicators: Better Coordination Is Needed to Develop Environmental Indicator Sets That Inform Decisions. GAO-05-52, November 17, 2004 (115 pages).
- Survey on Environmental Indicator Sets. GAO-05-56SP, November 17, 2004 (2 pages).
- Financial Regulation: Industry Changes Prompt Need to Reconsider U.S. Regulatory Structure. GAO-05-61, October 6, 2004 (164 pages).
- Securities and Exchange Commission Human Capital Survey. GAO-05-118R, November 10, 2004 (13 pages).
- Financial Audit: Bureau of the Public Debt's Fiscal Years 2004 and 2003 Schedules of Federal Debt. GAO-05-116, November 5, 2004 (30 pages).
- Financial Audit: Congressional Award Foundation's Fiscal Years 2003 and 2002 Financial Statements. GAO-05-132, November 15, 2004 (21 pages).
- American Community Survey: Key Unresolved Issues. GAO-05-82, October 7, 2004 (114 pages).
- Informing Our Nation: Improving How to Understand and Assess the USA's Position and Progress. GAO-05-1, November 10, 2004 (238 pages).
- Posthearing Questions: District of Columbia's Structural Imbalance and Management Issues. GAO-05-162R, November 19, 2004 (14 pages).
- U.S. Postal Service: Physical Security Measures Have Increased at Some Core Facilities, but Security Problems Continue. GAO-05-48, November 16, 2004 (42 pages).
- Emerging Infectious Diseases: Review of State and Federal Disease Surveillance Efforts. GAO-04-877, September 30, 2004 (64 pages).
- Flu Vaccine: Recent Supply Shortages Underscore Ongoing Challenges. GAO-05-177T, November 18, 2004 (10 pages).
- Nursing Home Deaths: Arkansas Coroner Referrals Confirm Weaknesses in State and Federal Oversight of Quality of Care. GAO-05-78, November 12, 2004 (69 pages).
- Immigration Enforcement: DHS Has Incorporated Immigration Enforcement Objectives and Is Addressing Future Planning Requirements. GAO-05-66, October 8, 2004 (19 pages).
- Multifamily Housing: Implementation of Fiscal Year 2003 Requirements Concerning Housing Choice Voucher Administrative Fees. GAO-05-30, November 19, 2004 (24 pages).
- Single-Family Housing: HUD's Risk-Based Oversight of Appraisers Could Be Enhanced. GAO-05-14, November 5, 2004 (39 pages).
- Single-Family Housing: Progress Made, but Opportunities Exist to Improve HUD's Oversight of FHA Lenders. GAO-05-13, November 12, 2004 (52 pages).
- Social Security Disability: Improved Processes for Planning and Conducting Demonstrations May Help SSA More Effectively Use Its Demonstration Authority. GAO-05-19, November 4, 2004 (34 pages).
- Social Security Numbers: Governments Could Do More to Reduce Display in Public Records and on Identity Cards. GAO-05-59, November 9, 2004 (59 pages).
- Embassy Construction: Proposed Cost-Sharing Program Could Speed Construction and Reduce Staff Levels, but Some Agencies Have Concerns. GAO-05-32, November 15, 2004 (62 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- The Protecting Seniors from Fraud Act: Status of the Triad Program. GAO-05-146R, November 23, 2004 (7 pages).
- Defense Health Care: Force Health Protection and Surveillance Policy Compliance Was Mixed, but Appears Better for Recent Deployments. GAO-05-120, November 12, 2004 (44 pages).
- Department of Defense: Further Actions Are Needed to Effectively Address Business Management Problems and Overcome Key Business Transformation Challenges. GAO-05-140T, November 18, 2004 (32 pages).
- Force Structure: Navy Needs to Fully Evaluate Options and Provide Standard Guidance for Implementing Surface Ship Rotational Crewing. GAO-05-10, November 10, 2004 (68 pages).
- Foreign Military Sales: DOD Needs to Take Additional Actions to Prevent Unauthorized Shipments of Spare Parts. GAO-05-17, November 9, 2004 (17 pages).
- Military Personnel: DOD Needs to Strengthen the Annual Review and Certification of Military Personnel Obligations. GAO-05-87R, November 29, 2004 (17 pages).
- Reserve Forces: Actions Needed to Better Prepare the National Guard for Future Overseas and Domestic Missions. GAO-05-21, November 10, 2004 (38 pages).
- GAO Performance and Accountability Report Fiscal Year 2004. GAO-05-62SP, November 15, 2004 (172 pages).
- Highlights of a GAO Forum: The Federal Government's Role in Improving Financial Literacy. GAO-05-93SP, November 15, 2004 (21 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Applying Agreed-Upon Procedures: Airport and Airway Trust Fund Excise Taxes. GAO-05-29R, November 5, 2004 (15 pages).
- Applying Agreed-Upon Procedures: Federal Unemployment Taxes. GAO-05-27R, November 5, 2004 (7 pages).
- Applying Agreed-Upon Procedures: Highway Trust Fund Excise Taxes. GAO-05-28R, November 5, 2004 (17 pages).
- Business Systems Modernization: IRS's Fiscal Year 2004 Expenditure Plan. GAO-05-46, November 17, 2004 (78 pages).
- Financial Audit: IRS's Fiscal Years 2004 and 2003 Financial Statements. GAO-05-103, November 10, 2004 (156 pages).
- Tax Administration: IRS Improved Performance in the 2004 Filing Season, But Better Data on the Quality of Some Services Is Needed. GAO-05-67, November 15, 2004 (44 pages).
- Tax Administration: IRS Should Take Steps to Improve the Accuracy of Schedule K-1 Data. GAO-04-1040, September 30, 2004 (33 pages).
- Air Traffic Control: FAA Needs to Ensure Better Coordination When Approving Air Traffic Control Systems. GAO-05-11, November 17, 2004 (56 pages).
- Aviation Safety: FAA Needs to Strengthen the Management of Its Designee Programs. GAO-05-40, October 8, 2004 (69 pages).
- Aviation Security: Preliminary Observations on TSA's Progress to Allow Airports to Use Private Passenger and Baggage Screening Services. GAO-05-126, November 19, 2004 (21 pages).
- Highway Safety: Improved Monitoring and Oversight of Traffic Safety Data Program Are Needed. GAO-05-24, November 4, 2004 (48 pages).
- VA Long-Term Care: Oversight of Nursing Home Program Impeded by Data Gaps. GAO-05-65, November 10, 2004 (35 pages).
- VA and DOD Health Care: Efforts to Coordinate a Single Physical Exam Process for Servicemembers Leaving the Military. GAO-05-64, November 12, 2004 (38 pages).
- Veterans Benefits: VA Needs Plan for Assessing Consistency of Decisions. GAO-05-99, November 19, 2004 (25 pages).
- Veterans' Benefits: More Transparency Needed to Improve Oversight of VBA's Compensation and Pension Staffing Levels. GAO-05-47, November 15, 2004 (17 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Abt Associates. B-294130.2, October 12, 2004 (3 pages).
- American Guard Services, Inc.. B-294359, November 1, 2004 (4 pages).
- Armed Forces Merchandise Outlet, Inc.. B-294281, October 12, 2004 (7 pages).
- Brechan Enterprises, Inc.--Costs. B-294046.2, November 4, 2004 (4 pages).
- Carpetmaster. B-294767, November 4, 2004 (4 pages).
- Case Law Pertaining to Constitutionality of Billboard Amortization by State and Local Governments. B-302809, November 12, 2004 (20 pages).
- Chapman Law Firm, LPA. B-293105.10, B-293105.12, B-293105.6, November 15, 2004 (7 pages).
- Consolidated Engineering Services, Inc.. B-293864.2, October 25, 2004 (6 pages).
- Deco Security Services. B-294516, November 1, 2004 (3 pages).
- Digital Technologies, Inc.. B-291657.3, November 18, 2004 (4 pages).
- Geo-Seis Helicopters, Inc.. B-294543, November 22, 2004 (4 pages).
- ITT Industries, Inc.. B-294389, B-294389.2, B-294389.3, B-294389.4, October 20, 2004 (16 pages).
- Information Ventures, Inc.--Costs. B-294567.2, November 16, 2004 (3 pages).
- Kenwood USA Corporation. B-294638, B-294638.2, B-294638.3, November 29, 2004 (5 pages).
- Marriott Downtown. B-294594, November 8, 2004 (5 pages).
- Moog Inc.. B-294600, November 12, 2004 (4 pages).
- Optical Systems Technology, Inc.. B-292743.2, November 12, 2004 (7 pages).
- Portfolio Disposition Management Group, LLC. B-293105.7, November 12, 2004 (3 pages).
- Security Consultants Group, Inc.--Costs. B-293344.6, November 4, 2004 (6 pages).
- Seven Seas Engineering & Land Surveying. B-294424.2, November 19, 2004 (4 pages).
- The Mangi Environmental Group, Inc.. B-294597, November 29, 2004 (3 pages).
- The OMO Group, Inc.. B-294328, October 19, 2004 (9 pages).
- Transcontinental Enterprises, Inc.. B-294765, November 30, 2004 (5 pages).
- University Research Company, LLC. B-294358, B-294358.2, B-294358.3, B-294358.4, B-294358.5, October 28, 2004 (11 pages).
- Whether the Federal Communications Commission's Order on Improving Public Safety Communications in the 800 MHz Band Violates the Antideficiency Act or the Miscellaneous Receipts Statute. B-303413, November 8, 2004 (27 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Changes to the Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System and Calendar Year 2005 Payment Rates. GAO-05-179R, November 29, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Coverage and Payment of Ambulance Services; Recalibration of Conversion Factor; Inflation Update for CY 2005. GAO-05-178R, November 29, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Home Health Prospective Payment System Rate Update for Calendar Year 2005. GAO-05-137R, November 4, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Prospective Payment System for Inpatient Psychiatric Facilities. GAO-05-181R, November 30, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Revisions to Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule for Calendar Year 2005. GAO-05-180R, November 30, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of Housing and Urban Development: HUD's Housing Goals for the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae) and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac) for the Years 2005-2008 and Amendments to HUD's Regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. GAO-05-153R, November 16, 2004 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Susan Becker of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: email@example.com with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO:
This list is produced by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.