Month in Review December 2004
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month.
- No Child Left Behind Act: Education Needs to Provide Additional Technical Assistance and Conduct Implementation Studies for School Choice Provision. GAO-05-7, December 10, 2004 (55 pages).
- Workforce Investment Act: Labor Has Taken Several Actions to Facilitate Access to One-Stops for Persons with Disabilities, but These Efforts May Not Be Sufficient. GAO-05-54, December 14, 2004 (52 pages).
- Census 2000: Design Choices Contributed to Inaccuracy of Coverage Evaluation Estimates. GAO-05-71, November 12, 2004 (39 pages).
- Data Quality: Census Bureau Needs to Accelerate Efforts to Develop and Implement Data Quality Review Standards. GAO-05-86, November 17, 2004 (31 pages).
- Federal Communications Commission: Federal Advisory Committees Follow Requirements, but FCC Should Improve Its Process for Appointing Committee Members. GAO-05-36, December 10, 2004 (70 pages).
- Port Security: Better Planning Needed to Develop and Operate Maritime Worker Identification Card Program. GAO-05-106, December 10, 2004 (22 pages).
- Medicaid Managed Care: Access and Quality Requirements Specific to Low-Income and Other Special Needs Enrollees. GAO-05-44R, December 8, 2004 (15 pages).
- Medicare Chemotherapy Payments: New Drug and Administration Fees Are Closer to Providers' Costs. GAO-05-142R, December 1, 2004 (18 pages).
- Medicare Physician Fee Schedule: CMS Needs a Plan for Updating Practice Expense Component. GAO-05-60, December 13, 2004 (38 pages).
- Medicare: Accuracy of Responses from the 1-800-MEDICARE Help Line Should Be Improved. GAO-05-130, December 8, 2004 (55 pages).
- Medicare: Advisory Opinions as a Means of Clarifying Program Requirements. GAO-05-129, December 8, 2004 (25 pages).
- Medicare: CMS's Program Safeguards Did Not Deter Growth in Spending for Power Wheelchairs. GAO-05-43, November 17, 2004 (33 pages).
- General Aviation Security: Increased Federal Oversight Is Needed, but Continued Partnership with the Private Sector Is Critical to Long-Term Success. GAO-05-144, November 10, 2004 (60 pages).
- Homeland Security: Further Action Needed to Promote Successful
Use of Special DHS Acquisition Authority. GAO-05-136,
December 15, 2004 (35 pages).
- Electronic Government: Federal Agencies Have Made Progress Implementing the E-Government Act of 2002. GAO-05-12, December 10, 2004 (49 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- L.A. Federal Courthouse Project: Current Proposal Addresses Space Needs, but Some Security and Operational Concerns Would Remain. GAO-05-158, December 20, 2004 (40 pages).
- Defense Inventory: DOD and Prime Contractors Adhered to Requirements in Selected Contracts for Overseeing Spare Parts Quality. GAO-05-73, December 20, 2004 (24 pages).
- Defense Inventory: Improvements Needed in DOD's Implementation of Its Long-Term Strategy for Total Asset Visibility of Its Inventory. GAO-05-15, December 6, 2004 (31 pages).
- Defense Transformation: Clear Leadership, Accountability, and Management Tools Are Needed to Enhance DOD's Efforts to Transform Military Capabilities. GAO-05-70, December 17, 2004 (41 pages).
- Information on Options for Naval Surface Fire Support. GAO-05-39R, November 19, 2004 (29 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- Space Shuttle: Costs for Hubble Servicing Mission and Implementation of Safety Recommendations Not Yet Definitive. GAO-05-34, November 19, 2004 (22 pages).
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Changes in Global Hawk's Acquisition Strategy Are Needed to Reduce Program Risks. GAO-05-6, November 5, 2004 (40 pages).
- Foster Youth: HHS Actions Could Improve Coordination of Services and Monitoring of States' Independent Living Programs. GAO-05-25, November 18, 2004 (56 pages).
- SSA's Disability Programs: Improvements Could Increase the Usefulness of Electronic Data for Program Oversight. GAO-05-100R, December 10, 2004 (26 pages).
- Human Capital: Principles, Criteria, and Processes for Governmentwide Federal Human Capital Reform. GAO-05-69SP, December 1, 2004 (29 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Earned Income Tax Credit: Implementation of Three Tests Proceeded Smoothly, But Tests and Evaluation Plans Were Not Fully Documented. GAO-05-92, December 30, 2004 (51 pages).
- Air Traffic Control: FAA's Acquisition Management Has Improved, but Policies and Oversight Need Strengthening to Help Ensure Results. GAO-05-23, November 12, 2004 (73 pages).
- Intercity Passenger Rail: Issues Associated with the Recent
Settlement between Amtrak and the Consortium of Bombardier and
December 1, 2004 (43 pages).
- VA Patient Safety Program: A Cultural Perspective at Four Medical Facilities. GAO-05-83, December 15, 2004 (69 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- American Floor Consultants & Installations, Inc.. B-294934, B-294934.2, December 16, 2004 (3 pages).
- American Systems Consulting, Inc.. B-294644, December 13, 2004 (6 pages).
- Architect of the Capitol--Payment of Fringe Benefits to Temporary Employees. B-303961, December 6, 2004 (10 pages).
- Building Construction Enterprises, Inc.. B-294784, December 20, 2004 (4 pages).
- Bureau of Customs and Border Protection--Automated Commercial Environment Contract. B-302358, December 27, 2004 (13 pages).
- CMC & Maintenance, Inc.. B-293803.2, December 2, 2004 (3 pages).
- Comprehensive Health Services, Inc.. B-294608, December 1, 2004 (4 pages).
- DIY, Inc.. B-293105.9, December 20, 2004 (3 pages).
- Disbursing Officer Liability for Loss of Funds. B-303671, December 3, 2004 (3 pages).
- Diversified Capital, Inc.. B-293105.4, B-293105.8, November 12, 2004 (4 pages).
- Information Ventures, Inc.--Costs. B-294580.2, B-294586.2, B-294617.2, B-294632.2, B-294706.2, B-294707.2, B-294741.2, B-294760.2, B-294762.2, December 6, 2004 (3 pages).
- Kloppenburg Enterprises, Inc.. B-294709, December 10, 2004 (4 pages).
- L-3 Communications Company. B-295166, December 10, 2004 (3 pages).
- National Parks Service Contract--Payments to Subcontractors. B-303906, December 7, 2004 (3 pages).
- Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight--Disposition of Collections from Third Party Litigants. B-302825, December 22, 2004 (5 pages).
- Oregon Potato Company. B-294839, December 27, 2004 (4 pages).
- RDAS Corporation. B-294848, December 23, 2004 (3 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service: Mexican Avocado Import Program. GAO-05-196R, December 9, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service: User Fees for Agricultural Quarantine and Inspection Services. GAO-05-217R, December 20, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration: Establishment and Maintenance of Records Under the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002. GAO-05-216R, December 22, 2004 (4 pages).
- Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Occupant Crash Protection. GAO-05-226R, December 22, 2004 (4 pages).
- Federal Communications Commission: Broadcast Services; Television Stations. GAO-05-148R, December 9, 2004 (4 pages).
- Federal Communications Commission: Facilitating the Provision of Spectrum-Based Services to Rural Areas and Promoting Opportunities for Rural Telephone Companies to Provide Spectrum-Based Services. GAO-05-228R, December 22, 2004 (4 pages).
- Federal Communications Commission: Private Land Mobile Services; 800 MHz Public Safety Interference Proceeding. GAO-05-107R, December 3, 2004 (4 pages).
- Securities and Exchange Commission: Registration Under the Advisers Act of Certain Hedge Fund Advisers. GAO-05-222R, December 20, 2004 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Susan Becker of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: email@example.com with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO:
This list is produced by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.