Month in Review August 2004
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month.
Agriculture and Food
- Food and Drug Administration: Data to Measure the Timeliness of Reviews of Medical Device Applications Are Limited. GAO-04-1022, August 30, 2004 (26 pages).
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Small Business Administration: SBA Followed Appropriate Policies and Procedures for September 11 Disaster Loan Applications. GAO-04-885, August 31, 2004 (32 pages).
- Student Consolidation Loans: Further Analysis Could Lead to Enhanced Default Assumptions for Budgetary Cost Estimates. GAO-04-843, August 20, 2004 (52 pages).
- Workplace Safety and Health: OSHA's Oversight of Its Civil Penalty Determination and Violation Abatement Processes Has Limitations. GAO-04-920, August 13, 2004 (29 pages).
- Bonneville Power Administration: Better Management of BPA's Obligation to Provide Power Is Needed to Control Future Costs. GAO-04-694, July 9, 2004 (51 pages).
- Environmental Disclosure: Briefing on GAO's Findings and Recommendations. GAO-04-1019R, August 4, 2004 (20 pages).
- Follow-Up on GAO Recommendations Concerning the Securities Investor Protection Corporation. GAO-04-848R, July 9, 2004 (11 pages).
- Mutual Funds: SEC Should Modify Proposed Regulations to Address Some Pension Plan Concerns. GAO-04-799, July 9, 2004 (38 pages).
- Architect of the Capitol: Midyear Status Report on Implementation of Management Review Recommendations. GAO-04-966, August 31, 2004 (56 pages).
- District of Columbia Jail: Medical Services Generally Met Requirements and Costs Decreased, but Oversight Is Incomplete. GAO-04-750, June 30, 2004 (47 pages).
- HHS's Efforts to Promote Health Information Technology and Legal Barriers to Its Adoption. GAO-04-991R, August 13, 2004 (62 pages).
- Medicaid Program Integrity: State and Federal Efforts to Prevent and Detect Improper Payments. GAO-04-707, July 16, 2004 (26 pages).
- Medicare: Call Centers Need to Improve Responses to Policy-Oriented Questions from Providers. GAO-04-669, July 16, 2004 (30 pages).
- Milwaukee Health Care Spending Compared to Other Metropolitan Areas: Geographic Variation in Spending for Enrollees in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program. GAO-04-1000R, August 18, 2004 (52 pages).
- 9/11 Commission Report: Reorganization, Transformation, and Information Sharing. GAO-04-1033T, August 3, 2004 (25 pages).
- FBI Transformation: Data Inconclusive on Effects of Shift to Counterterrorism-Related Priorities on Traditional Crime Enforcement. GAO-04-1036, August 31, 2004 (33 pages).
- Homeland Security: Efforts Under Way to Develop Enterprise Architecture, but Much Work Remains. GAO-04-777, August 6, 2004 (85 pages).
- Homeland Security: Transformation Strategy Needed to Address Challenges Facing the Federal Protective Service. GAO-04-537, July 14, 2004 (59 pages).
- Maritime Security: Partnering Could Reduce Federal Costs and Facilitate Implementation of Automatic Vessel Identification System. GAO-04-868, July 23, 2004 (21 pages).
- Status of Key Recommendations GAO Has Made to DHS and Its Legacy Agencies. GAO-04-865R, July 2, 2004 (75 pages).
- U.S. Public Diplomacy: State Department and Broadcasting Board of Governors Expand Post-9/11 Efforts but Challenges Remain. GAO-04-1061T, August 23, 2004 (17 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Drug Control: Aviation Program Safety Concerns in Colombia Are Being Addressed, but State's Planning and Budgeting Process Can Be Improved. GAO-04-918, July 29, 2004 (29 pages).
- Drug Control: U.S. Nonmilitary Assistance to Colombia Is Beginning to Show Intended Results, but Programs Are Not Readily Sustainable. GAO-04-726, July 2, 2004 (57 pages).
- Federal Judiciary: Assessing and Formally Documenting Financial Disclosure Procedures Could Help Ensure Balance between Judges' Safety and Timely Public Access. GAO-04-696NI, June 30, 2004 (47 pages).
- Immigration Benefits: Eleventh Report Required by the Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act of 1998. GAO-04-1030R, August 13, 2004 (4 pages).
- Combating Terrorism: DOD Efforts to Improve Installation Preparedness Can Be Enhanced with Clarified Responsibilities and Comprehensive Planning. GAO-04-855, August 12, 2004 (38 pages).
- Defense Inventory: Analysis of Consumption of Inventory Exceeding Current Operating Requirements Since September 30, 2001. GAO-04-689, August 2, 2004 (27 pages).
- Defense Inventory: Navy Needs to Improve the Management Over Government-Furnished Material Shipped to Its Repair Contractors. GAO-04-779, July 23, 2004 (22 pages).
- Defense Management: Opportunities to Enhance the Implementation of Performance-Based Logistics. GAO-04-715, August 16, 2004 (28 pages).
- Defense Space Activities: Additional Actions Needed to Implement Human Capital Strategy and Develop Space Personnel. GAO-04-697, August 11, 2004 (28 pages).
- Force Structure: Department of the Navy's Tactical Aviation Integration Plan Is Reasonable, but Some Factors Could Affect Implementation. GAO-04-900, August 13, 2004 (28 pages).
- Gulf War Illnesses: DOD's Conclusions About U.S. Troops' Exposure Cannot Be Adequately Supported. GAO-04-821T, June 1, 2004 (18 pages).
- Military Pay: Army Reserve Soldiers Mobilized to Active Duty Experienced Significant Pay Problems. GAO-04-911, August 20, 2004 (124 pages).
- Military Transformation: Fielding of Army's Stryker Vehicles Is Well Under Way, but Expectations for Their Transportability by C-130 Aircraft Need to Be Clarified. GAO-04-925, August 12, 2004 (34 pages).
- Natural Gas Flaring and Venting: Opportunities to Improve Data and Reduce Emissions. GAO-04-809, July 14, 2004 (30 pages).
- Federal Debt: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions: An Update. GAO-04-485SP, August 12, 2004 (84 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- International Taxation: Tax Haven Companies Were More Likely to Have a Tax Cost Advantage in Federal Contracting. GAO-04-856, June 30, 2004 (21 pages).
- Commercial Aviation: Legacy Airlines Must Further Reduce Costs to Restore Profitability. GAO-04-836, August 11, 2004 (67 pages).
- Federal-Aid Highways: Trends, Effect on State Spending, and Options for Future Program Design. GAO-04-802, August 31, 2004 (94 pages).
- Highway Projects--Extent of Unobligated Balances for Demonstration Projects as of April 30, 2004. GAO-04-935R, August 18, 2004 (6 pages).
- Job Access and Reverse Commute: Program Status and Potential Effects of Proposed Legislative Changes. GAO-04-934R, August 20, 2004 (14 pages).
- Transatlantic Aviation: Effects of Easing Restrictions on U.S.-European Markets. GAO-04-835, July 21, 2004 (66 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- AIROD Sdn. Bhd.. B-294127, August 16, 2004 (6 pages).
- Altos Federal Group, Inc.. B-294120, July 28, 2004 (5 pages).
- American Multi Media, Inc.--Reconsideration. B-293782.2, August 25, 2004 (6 pages).
- CAT Flight Services, Inc.. B-294186, August 17, 2004 (3 pages).
- Career Quest, a division of Syllan Careers, Inc.. B-293435.2, B-293435.3, August 2, 2004 (7 pages).
- Command Enterprises, Inc.. B-293754, June 7, 2004 (5 pages).
- Command Management Services, Inc.. B-292893.2, June 30, 2004 (6 pages).
- Computer Associates International, Inc.. B-292077.3, B-292077.4, B-292077.5, January 22, 2004 (14 pages).
- Department of Energy--Disposition of Interest Earned on State Tax Refund Obtained by Contractor. B-302366, July 12, 2004 (7 pages).
- Dew Drop Sprinklers & Landscaping. B-293963, July 15, 2004 (4 pages).
- Frontier Technology, Inc.. B-294061, August 12, 2004 (11 pages).
- General Services Administration and Real Estate Brokers' Commissions. B-302811, July 12, 2004 (9 pages).
- Glatz Aeronautical Corporation. B-293968.2, August 10, 2004 (4 pages).
- Global Solutions Network, Inc.. B-294054, B-294054.2, August 10, 2004 (5 pages).
- Hanford Environmental Health Foundation. B-292858.2, B-292858.5, April 7, 2004 (12 pages).
- Interagency Agreement with the Department of Energy for Online Research and Education Information Service. B-301561, June 14, 2004 (6 pages).
- Knit-Rite, Inc.. B-293088.3, August 5, 2004 (4 pages).
- Mindleaf Technologies, Inc.. B-294242, B-294242.2, August 24, 2004 (4 pages).
- PURVIS Systems, Inc.. B-293807.3, B-293807.4, August 16, 2004 (14 pages).
- Reclamation Fund and Western Area Power Administration. B-303180, July 26, 2004 (9 pages).
- Rice Services, Inc.; Watson Services, Inc.. B-293861, B-293861.2, B-293861.3, B-293861.4, June 15, 2004 (5 pages).
- Ridoc Enterprise, Inc.. B-292962.4, July 6, 2004 (9 pages).
- Ridoc Enterprises, Inc./Myers Investigative & Security Services, Inc.. B-293045.2, July 26, 2004 (4 pages).
- SKJ & Associates, Inc.. B-294219, August 13, 2004 (3 pages).
- Scope of Professional Credentials Statute. B-302548, August 20, 2004 (7 pages).
- Terra Surveys. B-294015, August 4, 2004 (5 pages).
- Tessada & Associates, Inc.. B-293942, July 15, 2004 (9 pages).
- Use of Appropriated Funds to Purchase Kitchen Appliances. B-302993, June 25, 2004 (6 pages).
- e-LYNXX Corporation--Costs. B-292761.2, August 12, 2004 (6 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Changes to the Hospital Inpatient Prospective Payment Systems and Fiscal Year 2005 Rates. GAO-04-1053R, August 24, 2004 (4 pages).
- Federal Reserve System: Availability of Funds and Collection of Checks. GAO-04-1048R, August 18, 2004 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Jeff Nelligan, Managing Director of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscrtibe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: email@example.com with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO:
This list is produced by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.