Month in Review April 2004
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Agriculture and Food
- Biobased Products: Improved USDA Management Would Help Agencies Comply with Farm Bill Purchasing Requirements. GAO-04-437, April 7, 2004 (65 pages).
- Nutrition Education: USDA Provides Services through Multiple Programs, but Stronger Linkages among Efforts Are Needed. GAO-04-528, April 27, 2004 (51 pages).
Budget and Spending
- Fiscal Year 2005 Budget Request: U.S. General Accounting Office. GAO-04-473T,
April 22, 2004 (24 pages).
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Small and Disadvantaged Businesses: Most Agency Advocates View Their Roles Similarly. GAO-04-451, March 22, 2004 (44 pages).
- Terrorism Insurance: Effects of the Terrorism Risk Insurance Act of 2002. GAO-04-720T, April 28, 2004 (20 pages).
- Terrorism Insurance: Implementation of the Terrorism Risk Insurance Act of 2002.
GAO-04-307, April 23, 2004 (33 pages).
- Water Infrastructure: Comprehensive Asset Management Has Potential to Help Utilities Better Identify Needs and Plan Future Investments. GAO-04-461, March 19, 2004
- Flood Map Modernization: Program Strategy Shows Promise, but Challenges Remain.
GAO-04-417, March 31, 2004 (49 pages).
- School Meal Programs: Competitive Foods Are Available in Many Schools; Actions Taken to Restrict Them Differ by State and Locality. GAO-04-673, April 23, 2004 (33 pages).
- Department of Energy: Certain Postretirement Benefits for Contractor Employees Are Unfunded and Program Oversight Could Be Improved. GAO-04-539, April 15, 2004
- Department of Energy: Mission Support Challenges Remain at Los Alamos and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories. GAO-04-370, February 27, 2004 (38 pages).
- Nuclear Security: DOE Needs to Resolve Significant Issues Before It Fully Meets the New Design Basis Threat. GAO-04-623, April 27, 2004 (31 pages).
- Nuclear Security: DOE Must Address Significant Issues to Meet the Requirements of the New Design Basis Threat. GAO-04-701T, April 27, 2004 (16 pages).
- Nuclear Waste Cleanup: DOE Has Made Some Progress in Cleaning Up the Paducah Site, but Challenges Remain. GAO-04-457, April 1, 2004 (37 pages).
- Yucca Mountain: Persistent Quality Assurance Problems Could Delay Repository Licensing and Operation. GAO-04-460, April 30, 2004 (42 pages).
- Grants Management: EPA Needs to Better Document Its Decisions for Choosing between Grants and Contracts. GAO-04-459, March 31, 2004 (45 pages).
- SEC Operations: Oversight of Mutual Fund Industry Presents Management Challenges. GAO-04-584T, April 20, 2004 (21 pages).
- Financial Management: Fiscal Year 2003 Performance and Accountability Reports Provide Limited Information on Governmentwide Improper Payments. GAO-04-631T, April 15, 2004 (19 pages).
- Independent Counsel: Breakdown of Expenditures for David M. Barrett. GAO-04-732R,
April 29, 2004 (3 pages).
- Judgment Fund: Treasury's Estimates of Claim Payment Processing Costs under the No FEAR Act and Contract Disputes Act. GAO-04-481, April 28, 2004 (15 pages).
- Posthearing Questions Related to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation's 2003 and 2002 Financial Audits. GAO-04-674R, April 20, 2004 (3 pages).
- Responses to Posthearing Questions Related to GAO's Testimony on the U.S. Government's Consolidated Financial Statements for Fiscal Year 2003. GAO-04-624R, April 30, 2004
- Coins and Currency: How the Costs and Earnings Associated with Producing Coins and Currency Are Budgeted and Accounted For. GAO-04-283, April 23, 2004 (39 pages).
- Continuity of Operations: Improved Planning Needed to Ensure Delivery of Essential Services. GAO-04-638T, April 22, 2004 (17 pages).
- Contract Management: Agencies Can Achieve Significant Savings on Purchase Card Buys. GAO-04-430, March 12, 2004 (57 pages).
- D.C. Family Court: Operations and Case Management Have Improved, but Critical Issues Remain. GAO-04-685T, April 23, 2004 (22 pages).
- District of Columbia: Status of Reforms to the District's Mental Health System. GAO-04-387, March 31, 2004 (56 pages).
- Government Printing Office: Technological Changes Create Transformation Opportunities. GAO-04-729T, April 28, 2004 (23 pages).
- Human Capital: Opportunities to Improve Federal Continuity Planning Guidance.
GAO-04-384, April 20, 2004 (53 pages).
- Paperwork Reduction Act: Agencies report Slight Decreases in Burden Estimates and Violations. GAO-04-676T, April 20, 2004 (19 pages).
- Purchase Cards: Increased Management Oversight and Control Could Save Hundreds of Millions of Dollars. GAO-04-717T, April 28, 2004 (22 pages).
- U.S. Office of Special Counsel: Strategy for Reducing Persistent Backlog of Cases Should Be Provided to Congress. GAO-04-36, March 8, 2004 (36 pages).
- Emerging Infectious Diseases: Asian SARS Outbreak Challenged International and National Responses. GAO-04-564, April 28, 2004 (67 pages).
- Medicaid and SCHIP: States' Premium and Cost Sharing Requirements for Beneficiaries. GAO-04-491, March 31, 2004 (54 pages).
- Medicare: CMS Did Not Control Rising Power Wheelchair Spending. GAO-04-716T, April 28, 2004 (19 pages).
- Additional Posthearing Questions Related to Proposed Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Human Capital Regulations. GAO-04-617R, April 30, 2004 (6 pages).
- Aviation Security: Private Screening Contractors Have Little Flexibility to Implement Innovative Approaches. GAO-04-505T, April 22, 2004 (20 pages).
- Homeland Security: Selected Recommendations from Congressionally Chartered Commissions and GAO. GAO-04-591, March 31, 2004 (24 pages).
- Security Clearances: FBI Has Enhanced Its Process for State and Local Law Enforcement Officials. GAO-04-596, April 30, 2004 (29 pages).
- Department of Housing and Urban Development: Lack of Accountability for Computer Equipment Leaves These Assets Vulnerable to Loss or Misappropriation. GAO-04-520R, April 23, 2004 (13 pages).
- HUD Single-Family and Multifamily Property Programs: Inadequate Controls Resulted in Questionable Payments and Potential Fraud. GAO-04-390, March 3, 2004 (76 pages).
- Critical Infrastructure Protection: Establishing Effective Information Sharing with Infrastructure Sectors. GAO-04-699T, April 21, 2004 (39 pages).
- Project SAFECOM: Key Cross-Agency Emergency Communications Effort Requires Stronger Collaboration. GAO-04-494, April 16, 2004 (22 pages).
- Department of State: Nonproliferation, Anti-terrorism, Demining, and Related Programs Follow Legal Authority, but Some Activities Need Reassessment. GAO-04-521, April 30, 2004 (57 pages).
- Developing Countries: Achieving Poor Countries' Economic Growth and Debt Relief Targets Faces Significant Financing Challenges. GAO-04-405, April 14, 2004 (60 pages).
- Developing Countries: Challenges in Financing Poor Countries' Economic Growth and Debt Relief Targets. GAO-04-688T, April 20, 2004 (15 pages).
- Nonproliferation: Delays in Implementing the Chemical Weapons Convention Raise Concerns About Proliferation. GAO-04-361, March 31, 2004 (55 pages).
- U.S. International Broadcasting: Challenges Facing the Broadcasting Board of Governors. GAO-04-627T, April 1, 2004 (14 pages).
- U.S. International Broadcasting: Challenges Facing the Broadcasting Board of Governors. GAO-04-711T, April 29, 2004 (15 pages).
- United Nations: Observations on the Management and Oversight of the Oil for Food Program. GAO-04-730T, April 28, 2004 (26 pages).
- United Nations: Observations on the Oil for Food Program. GAO-04-651T, April 7, 2004
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Criminal Debt: Actions Still Needed to Address Deficiencies in Justice's Collection Processes. GAO-04-338, March 5, 2004 (30 pages).
- Chemical Weapons: Destruction Schedule Delays and Cost Growth Continue to Challenge Program Management. GAO-04-634T, April 1, 2004 (10 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: The Army's Future Combat Systems' Features, Risks, and Alternatives. GAO-04-635T, April 1, 2004 (23 pages).
- Defense Management: Continuing Questionable Reliance on Commercial Contracts to Demilitarize Excess Ammunition When Unused, Environmentally Friendly Capacity Exists at Government Facilities. GAO-04-427R, April 2, 2004 (12 pages).
- Military Operations: DOD Needs to Provide Central Direction for Supporting Coalition Liaison Officers. GAO-04-452, April 9, 2004 (10 pages).
- Military Personnel: General and Flag Officer Requirements Are Unclear Based on DOD's 2003 Report to Congress. GAO-04-488, April 21, 2004 (37 pages).
- Missile Defense: Actions Are Needed to Enhance Testing and Accountability. GAO-04-409, April 23, 2004 (135 pages).
- Operation Iraqi Freedom: Long-standing Problems Hampering Mail Delivery Need to Be Resolved. GAO-04-484, April 14, 2004 (37 pages).
- Reserve Forces: Observations on Recent National Guard Use in Overseas and Homeland Missions and Future Challenges. GAO-04-670T, April 29, 2004 (23 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- NASA: Compliance with Cost Limits. GAO-04-648R, April 2, 2004
- Child Support Enforcement: Better Data and More Information on Undistributed Collections Are Needed. GAO-04-377, March 19, 2004 (48 pages).
- Child and Family Services Reviews: Better Use of Data and Improved Guidance Could Enhance HHS's Oversight of State Performance. GAO-04-333, April 20, 2004 (54 pages).
- Financial Audit Manual: Update (Exposure Draft). GAO-04-667G, April 1, 2004 (125 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Internal Revenue Service: Status of Recommendation from Financial Audits and Related Financial Management Reports. GAO-04-523, April 28, 2004 (58 pages).
- Management Report: Improvements Needed in IRS's Internal Controls and Accounting Procedures. GAO-04-553R, April 26, 2004 (28 pages).
- Tax Administration: Comparison of the Reported Tax Liabilities of Foreign- and U.S.-Controlled Corporations, 1996-2000. GAO-04-358, February 27, 2004 (32 pages).
- Coast Guard: Key Management and Budget Challenges for Fiscal Year 2005 and Beyond. GAO-04-636T, April 7, 2004 (29 pages).
- Summary Analysis of Federal Commercial Aviation Taxes and Fees. GAO-04-406R,
March 12, 2004 (53 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- ACS State Healthcare, LLC; PharmaCare Government Services, Inc.; PGBA, LLC; Humana Military Healthcare Services, Inc.. B-292981, B-292981.10, B-292981.2, B-292981.3,
B-292981.4, B-292981.5, B-292981.6, B-292981.7, B-292981.8, B-292981.9, January 9, 2004 (39 pages).
- AHNTECH, Inc.. B-293582, April 13, 2004 (5 pages).
- Armstrong Elevator Company. B-292864.2, April 13, 2004 (3 pages).
- Ashe Facility Services, Inc.. B-292218.3, B-292218.4, March 31, 2004 (13 pages).
- Automated Cleaning Technologies, Inc.. B-293599, April 16, 2004 (3 pages).
- CDR Enterprises, Inc.. B-293557, March 26, 2004 (6 pages).
- Computer & Hi-Tech Management, Inc.. B-293235.4, March 2, 2004 (7 pages).
- Computers Universal, Inc.. B-293548, April 9, 2004 (3 pages).
- Continental RPVs. B-292768.6, April 5, 2004 (8 pages).
- CourtSmart Digital Systems, Inc.. B-292995.2, B-292995.3, February 13, 2004 (10 pages).
- Dan Duefrene; Kelley Dull; Brenda Neuerburg; Gabrielle Martin. B-293590.2, B-293590.3,
B-293883, B-293887, B-293908, April 19, 2004 (8 pages).
- First Federal Corporation--Costs. B-293373.2, April 21, 2004 (3 pages).
- Gracon Corporation. B-293009, B-293009.2, B-293009.3, January 14, 2004 (7 pages).
- Hyperbaric Technologies, Inc.. B-293047.4, March 29, 2004 (8 pages).
- Information Ventures, Inc.. B-293541, April 9, 2004 (4 pages).
- JAVIS Automation & Engineering, Inc.. B-293235.6, April 29, 2004 (5 pages).
- Reedsport Machine & Fabrication. B-293110.2, B-293556, April 13, 2004 (5 pages).
- The Refinishing Touch. B-293562, B-293562.2, B-293562.3, April 15, 2004 (4 pages).
- Washington State Department of Services for the Blind. B-293698.2, April 27, 2004
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Environmental Protection Agency: Interstate Ozone Transport: Response to Court Decisions on the NOx SIP Call, NOx SIP Call Technical Amendments, and Section 126 Rules.
GAO-04-675R, April 22, 2004 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Jeff Nelligan, Managing Director of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to email@example.com with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "GAO Reports" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO by phone: