GAO FraudNET is a vital part of the Forensic Audits and Special Investigations Team. Its objectives are to
- operate an automated means that anyone may use to report allegations of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement of federal funds;
- refer those allegations to the Inspector General (IG) of the cognizant federal agency;
- expedite responses to congressional requests;
- review IG responses to allegations referred by GAO;
- advise GAO teams and agency IGs of audit leads; and
- provide information to federal, state, and local organizations about establishing their own hotlines.